Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divaskychick View Post
I keep getting tiny little bites that are super itchy. I'd think they were mosquitos but I NEVER see anything on me. Whatever they are, they're driving me nuts. Any clue? Will this go on year 'round?

Thanks!
How about some pictures of the bites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 PM

73 posts, read 269,502 times
I started wearing insect repellent on my feet and legs when I go into the yard so I haven't gotten a bite in a while. They're nothing special to look at. They look like mosquito bites but smaller. The itch only lasts a day.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Might be Impetigo. It's a skin infection you get from dirt. It's common here and people often think they are getting bitten by bugs but don't ever see any bugs. lol It looks like little pimples or mosquito bites and itch.
Put Neosporin or the like on them and if they start to go away then that is what it is. Wash sheets and pillows. They spread and are contagious.

Also, not to freak you out, but it could be scabies. That you need a prescription med that kills them like lice. You can get them trying on clothing, or from school. Not as common though and if they are going away I wouldn't worry about that.

Try the antibiotic cream first and wash with an antibacterial soap like Dial, if they go away with that then I'd suspect Impetigo. If not, go to the doc and check for the other. Don't worry, it's not because your not clean, Impetigo lives in the dirt and we have a lot of blowing dirt here.

It could be bugs but you'd probably have seen them by now if you and your daughter are getting bit that much. Plus, all over the body on your daughter makes me suspicious of other things. Good luck glad they are getting less bothersome.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM

73 posts, read 269,502 times
Yikes! No, they're just little mosquito /gnat things. Insect repellent works. Thanks, tho!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,923 times
PROBLEM SOLVED AFTER 8 MONTHS! after 8 months of being unable to figure out what was biting us, extreme itching, endless vacuuming, foggers, exterminators, etc., we finally figured out what they were: bird mites or rat mites....Gross. A local plant/irrigation store (lowes and home depot might carry it too) sold us a gallon of Cedar Oil (cost 110.). With a sprayer, we sprayed our sheets (it is non toxic), walls, in the air vents (where they hide), the floor, etc. We also bagged our vacuum bag and put it in the freezer. It worked. We had to do two treatments, BUT THEY ARE GONE!!!! It was so frustrating because people kept telling us they were bed bugs, which they weren't, and endless cleaning yielded no results. CEDAR OIL is your best friend....and we still have about a half gallon left.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhayter View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED AFTER 8 MONTHS! after 8 months of being unable to figure out what was biting us, extreme itching, endless vacuuming, foggers, exterminators, etc., we finally figured out what they were: bird mites or rat mites....Gross. A local plant/irrigation store (lowes and home depot might carry it too) sold us a gallon of Cedar Oil (cost 110.). With a sprayer, we sprayed our sheets (it is non toxic), walls, in the air vents (where they hide), the floor, etc. We also bagged our vacuum bag and put it in the freezer. It worked. We had to do two treatments, BUT THEY ARE GONE!!!! It was so frustrating because people kept telling us they were bed bugs, which they weren't, and endless cleaning yielded no results. CEDAR OIL is your best friend....and we still have about a half gallon left.
The OP had a problem with something living outside, but this is very interesting info. Glad you solved your problem!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times
Divaskychick I absolutely feel your pain. In fact, I found your post trying to find a solution to what's biting me. I think it's thrips, because I've found a couple in the act of biting. I must have an allergic reaction because, supposedly, thrip bites don't raise a welt. But I can tell you whatever is biting me raises welts sometimes as big as a quarter--and they itch 10X more than a mosquito bite! I've had them on the back of my neck, arms and legs. I particularly notice them later in the day after I've been sitting outside. I think they drop out of the trees because I don't see anything flying or crawling around.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM

123 posts, read 259,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have had these bites from the biting midges too. And I'm also in Scottsdale.

What I have tried that has worked is tea tree oil or peppermint oil on the skin.
Peppermint oil will supposedly repel a lot of stuff: scorpions, mice, spiders, ants, and other things absolutely hate this stuff.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,655 times
These biting, flying, invisible pests are awful. They wake me up at night in my own bed and then follow me around all day long crawling all over my skin. We are almost certain my son got them on an airplane trip a couple of months ago. The minute he sat down in his seat he could feel these things crawling on him. I work with him in his office and now I have them. I am desperate for help as nothing has deterred or killed them. I am sure they are not crawling insects as they are sensitive to wind and will not bother me if I can get good air flow. Plus, they go from one person to the other just being near somebody. We have tried peppermint, neem oil, lavender oil, baby oil, deet (100%), pine oil, ozone air purifiers, diametacious earth, borax, regular pest control, etc. Nothing has worked. while in the shower they bite your ankles so water does nothing. Just so we can get some sort of sleep at night we use bounce dryer sheets in all areas where they can get in under clothing.They fly in and out of our ears so..earplugs too. Has anyone seen any relief?????

Old 05-14-2015, 06:43 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedtoo View Post
These biting, flying, invisible pests are awful. They wake me up at night in my own bed and then follow me around all day long crawling all over my skin. We are almost certain my son got them on an airplane trip a couple of months ago. The minute he sat down in his seat he could feel these things crawling on him. I work with him in his office and now I have them. I am desperate for help as nothing has deterred or killed them. I am sure they are not crawling insects as they are sensitive to wind and will not bother me if I can get good air flow. Plus, they go from one person to the other just being near somebody. We have tried peppermint, neem oil, lavender oil, baby oil, deet (100%), pine oil, ozone air purifiers, diametacious earth, borax, regular pest control, etc. Nothing has worked. while in the shower they bite your ankles so water does nothing. Just so we can get some sort of sleep at night we use bounce dryer sheets in all areas where they can get in under clothing.They fly in and out of our ears so..earplugs too. Has anyone seen any relief?????
Seriously, what?
Have you gone to the doctor and been tested for fleas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area