Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times

Advertisements

There are an abundance of rabbits in my Scottsdale neighborhood and I occasionally see pack rats too. Over the past three years, I have had the transmission hose chewed by a rabbit as evidenced by rabbit hair, a wire harness chewed by either a rabbit or a pack rat and most recently, brake line hose/wire chewed by a rabbit or rodent. My neighbors car wouldn't start one day due to a dead rabbit found in the engine compartment. Besides us, no other car that's parked outside has been affected by rabbits or rodents. I've sprayed deer and rabbit repellent on my property (the spray that smells like rotten eggs) and that didn't deter the rabbits. Is there anything that a pest control company or someone can do to deter or eradicate rabbits and rodents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Grow some weeds?

Seriously, the only automotive gnawing damage I've ever seen was mice & rats - mothballs work as a repellant if tucked under the hood.

Bunnies like weeds.. I've never seen one eat plastic if there were weeds around.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Big Ole Bummer, Happs . . .

Vehicle damage caused by rodents can be both a pain in the butt and expensive to repair. I've never heard of Rabbit damage but I guess it is possible.

Sorry, no known fixes from me other than parking the vehicles indoors somehow. Many years ago while living in Northern California, I had a Deer problem in my back yard and it was completely eliminated with a bag of Lion Poop from the Zoo. Sounds kinda weird but it worked with only one sprinkling.

Good Luck

Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Get a couple of mouser cats. People raise them to kill rats and scorps out here. My old bug guy raised them. Feed them a bit and let them outside for a fun night. Better yet, put there crap by the parked car with a bit of litter so they own it. lol

Eventually you'll see them sitting next to the car just waiting for a snack like little lions on the African grass. I have 3 cats, bug free, rodent free. They'll get a dozen a night if needed.

Don't get a normal house cat, they'll just lay around. Look for a rat cat or mouser. They are trained from birth to hunt rodents.

Of course, you might have to do the clean up. *o* Don't get bitten, you could get the plague.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Rodents are attracted to peanut butter. Get some rat bait and mix in some peanut butter, boom they're gone. Strychnine pellets and peanut butter work great. Just be careful of other animals getting into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area