Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times

Advertisements

This is being blown out of proportion every place I've lived here it's been outside and never locked. No one has ever flipped it off this is just plain paranoia. I've never heard of people flipping them off either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Outdoor breaker boxes are outdoor rated, so no one needs to be concerned.

They put 'em outside for easy integration to the meter and also for safety and utility for our friends at APS and SRP.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
My breaker box is in the garage. The meter is on the outside side of the same wall. It is the air conditioners on the roof that I can't seem to get used to. Ugly boxes everytime you look up.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Interesting topic . . . what's the big deal?

I'm certain any of you guys suffering from acute paranoia are more than free to move your electric panels to a more secure location. I believe only the meter is required to be readily accessible for reading purposes.

As a Plan B . . . mine is secured with one of those wire locks on both the box and the meter probably installed by Tucson Electric but I'm not certain.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
This thread reminded me of my Jr. Hi years. There was a popular bar in the neighborhood with an outside box. Some of us kids used to turn their electricity off occasionally. Then one day it was locked.

All the houses I have lived in here had outside boxes. Most commercial places seem to have inside boxes. Never thought about it before.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
This is being blown out of proportion every place I've lived here it's been outside and never locked. No one has ever flipped it off this is just plain paranoia. I've never heard of people flipping them off either.
I don't see it that way, kids are always looking for mischief to get into. (see graffiti, vandalism, etc.)

I came home one day to my neighbors water spigot turned on and a hose run from his house to my backyard with the water flooding my yard. Found a group of kids the next block over that took off running when I approached.

Does it happen often, no but nether does a home burglary but I still protect myself to lessen the chance of it happening.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I don't see it that way, kids are always looking for mischief to get into. (see graffiti, vandalism, etc.)

I came home one day to my neighbors water spigot turned on and a hose run from his house to my backyard with the water flooding my yard. Found a group of kids the next block over that took off running when I approached.

Does it happen often, no but nether does a home burglary but I still protect myself to lessen the chance of it happening.
LOL, you are in a tough hood, man!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
OK, you convinced me, I just put a padlock on the thing. We did have a kid (presumably) turn off the breaker once at a previous house about 20 years ago. Not a big deal, but since I had a spare padlock and you all got me paranoid...

Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL, you are in a tough hood, man!
Yeah, that and eggs thrown at the front of my house have been the only incidents. I guess that is better than gunshots huh?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM

70 posts, read 209,612 times
I too thought it odd for the electrical panel to be on the outside of the house. It seems to me that the only people who think of this as being odd are those of us that came from the east, north, or even the north east. While the climate here is more condusive to an oddity like this , back east and up north where there are snow and ice storms I can see where this could be a problem.....I.E. freezing shut or shorting out my melting ice! Now I just look at it as ....hey it iz what it iz!!. As far as security if you are concerned put a padlock on it or even go as far as wiring the panel so if it is opened an alarm will sound!! I'm not too concerned as we do have a couple of dogs and my two best friends .....Mr Glock and Mr.'s Smith and Wesson took up residency with us. The other oddity was so called security doors! Back east and I'm sure up north they are storm doors where the screen can be replaced with windows to help keep the cold at bay. Here they are security doors. They carry a hefty price tag but if you buy a good one it will make theives or home invaders look for an easier target! Hey go with the flow ....you are in the Great state of Arizona now!! Enjoy the weather and don't sweat the small stuff! I'd be more worried about someont trying to steal the A/c units for scrap value!
Rest easy and love life............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area