Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 15,708 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am moving my family to the Phoenix area soon from San Diego.

We have been looking at new houses in Queen Creek and like the area. My concern on that area is Hunt Highway being the main road in and out.

In looking I have seen houses in Surprise, Avondale and Good Year comparable in price for what you get.

My question is, on these other areas, how do they compare lifestyle wise to Queen Creek, how do schools rate? and which of these areas are the ones to stay away from if raising children.

Thanks for any info you may be able to give me on this.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,660 times
shaunb71, welcome soon to AZ!

We just met one of our new neighbors, and they just recently moved to our subdivision from Queen Creek. They said they are so glad to be out of Queen Creek, and that the school their kids went to was really bad. They also said their neighborhood there was beautiful, but dangerous. Maybe other areas of Queen Creek are good?

They said they are very happy that they moved here and love it in our subdivision. It is called Vistancia and is located in Peoria. Here is a link to another thread that provides lots of info about Vistancia's excellent schools, quality of life, and growth as well as other areas to consider:
Places worth living in the Valley

When we househunted a few years ago, we also looked in Surprise, Avondale and Goodyear. Even though we liked those areas also, we chose Vistancia and are very happy with our decision because we love living here too. Best wishes to you in your search!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunb71 View Post
Ok, I am moving my family to the Phoenix area soon from San Diego.

We have been looking at new houses in Queen Creek and like the area. My concern on that area is Hunt Highway being the main road in and out.

In looking I have seen houses in Surprise, Avondale and Good Year comparable in price for what you get.

My question is, on these other areas, how do they compare lifestyle wise to Queen Creek, how do schools rate? and which of these areas are the ones to stay away from if raising children.

Thanks for any info you may be able to give me on this.
Depending on where you work, Queen Creeks lifestyle would be, IMO, a little better. New schools - new....EVERYTHING.

Access IS an issue, that is true. Over the next few years though, this situation should be rectified.

On the other hand, Surprise and Goodyear are growing areas - they have their "older" areas but, the new areas are very nice. If you are into football, these areas are much closer to the University of Phoenix stadium and the Phoenix Coyotes arena (Hockey) - then, there is Westgate - In other words, a more active lifestyle versus a more "laid back" one -

As for access from the West side to downtown - a lot more to be sure. But, at "rush hours", they are congested

Good luck

Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 AM

419 posts, read 1,525,158 times
I've seen recent news about Queen Creek being one of many forclosure hubs. Too many houses went up too fast, and home values grew unreasonably. Now people can't sell, are upside down, etc. and just leaving the homes vacant. I wouldn't want my children in that environment.

Goodyear looks nice, but I don't know about their schools. Honestly, the ONLY west valley schools that I've heard positive things about is Peoria. Thus, it costs a bit more to live their. I've heard differing views on Surprise, but nothing positive about their schools.

We bought a house in Tolleson, got a lot for the money, but the schools look downright scary. If I had it to do over, I would get a smaller house in a better area.

Rule of thumb: Buy as close to downtown Phoenix as you can afford. By going too far away, you're likely to be upside down on your house in the coming years. You may plan to stay put for many years and not care about that, but life doesn't always follow your plans.

My kids aren't school-age yet, but I only see two options when they are: Private school, or move back to Illinois for the better public schools. I know that parents are the primary teacher, but I don't want my kids unchallenged and badly influenced in a crummy public school. And, in greater Phoenix, I've found that the better public schools have a hefty premium in home price.

I hope you can find a good balance of safety, good schools, and affordability.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM

419 posts, read 1,525,158 times
I actually meant "suburbs closest to downtown Phoenix". Don't even think about west Phoenix AKA Maryvale.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
We also live up in Vistancia and are always glad to drive back up to our foothills. I love the sunsets and watching the storms roll over the hills. We just had our annual Oktoberfest here and we served over 500 brats and hot dogs. It was wonderful. We did drive all over Phoenix when searching for a home, and would suggest the same for anyone coming here new. Yesterday we had to go to Goodyear and we were amazed at all the new growth there since we had driven that way. We feel a little overwhelmed at how fast areas are changing here and if you think you may be "way out in the boonies" that will not be the case soon. Please come by and see N. Peoria while you are looking. Best of luck in your search.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
I love it in Surprise. We live in the newer section. Very quiet and very family oriented.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM

94 posts, read 349,536 times
Default School choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
My kids aren't school-age yet, but I only see two options when they are: Private school, or move back to Illinois for the better public schools. I know that parents are the primary teacher, but I don't want my kids unchallenged and badly influenced in a crummy public school. And, in greater Phoenix, I've found that the better public schools have a hefty premium in home price.

I hope you can find a good balance of safety, good schools, and affordability.
You won't have to worry about private schools or moving. AZ has open enrollment which means you can attend any school as long as there is room and you provide transportation. There are also many good charter schools out there. These are run like private schools but are public so they don't cost anything.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
I lived off Hunt Hwy and started my teaching career there. Thank goodness we sold during the boom and moved to Surprise. I definately recommend either Surprise or Avondale over Queen Creek, although I do believe you get more house for your money in the area you described. You DO NOT want to be in the Florence USD, which is where all the inexpensive housing is, if you move to QC. You will be far from shopping and entertainment in QC. We didn't have kids when we lived there and it was our first house, so this was something we were willing to sacrifice. Both Avondale and Surprise are more built up and both have more attractions coming within a year.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
shaunb71, welcome soon to AZ!

We just met one of our new neighbors, and they just recently moved to our subdivision from Queen Creek. They said they are so glad to be out of Queen Creek, and that the school their kids went to was really bad. They also said their neighborhood there was beautiful, but dangerous. Maybe other areas of Queen Creek are good?

They said they are very happy that they moved here and love it in our subdivision. It is called Vistancia and is located in Peoria. Here is a link to another thread that provides lots of info about Vistancia's excellent schools, quality of life, and growth as well as other areas to consider:
Places worth living in the Valley

When we househunted a few years ago, we also looked in Surprise, Avondale and Goodyear. Even though we liked those areas also, we chose Vistancia and are very happy with our decision because we love living here too. Best wishes to you in your search!

Hello Greatjoy,
Are there tons of kids in Vistancia? Easy for kids to make friends? Do you know about how long it would take to get to the airport during rush hour?
Thanks for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area