Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM

48 posts, read 69,746 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband was just offered a wonderful job in the Tempe area and we are currently trying to decide whether to relocate. We are in our late 20's, no children, from Long Island, NY. I am a teacher (hoping to find work when I get there) who was unfortunately excessed last June.

We have visited many times and believe we want to live in the Chandler/Gilbert area. (any feedback?) It **seems** like a safe area where we can rent well within our budget along with a very close proximity to everything we could need.

Now here is my main concern; coming from NY we have little to no experience with indigenous venomous species and I am VERY concerned. We have two dogs and i am terrified of losing one to a venomous bite. We are very active and all of the hiking in the area is a huge draw for us, and of course we would love to take the dogs. Perhaps I should also mention that one dog is very small - 9 one-man and the other is a puppy who should be about 25 lbs.

Will this be a problem? I know anything is possible ... Just looking for anyone's opinion or experience.

I'm imagining snakes sneaking into my home or scorpion in my backyard. How realistic is the threat of such a thing happening?

Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM

606 posts, read 1,605,308 times
Trust me, it's not an issue. I too, moved from NY to Phoenix about 10 years ago and I have yet to see anything like that here in the city. And I have three dogs, and they live outside 24/7, and they have never had any of the issues you mentioned. For me the biggest issue of moving here was getting used to the culture shock of living in a red state LOL

Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
A venomous snake in your home in Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe? No. If you are out hiking in the desert, especially in the spring and summer, dogs need to be on leashes just as they would walking in your neighborhood, and keep your eyes and ears open.

Gila monsters? Never seen one in the wild. Not really an issue for most people. Dogs on leashes, again. Actually, with summer hiking in the Valley, don't take the dogs at all, it's easy to overheat them.

Scorpions are an "it depends" issue depending on the location of the home. Some have issues with them, most don't. You will find out in asking neighbors in the areas you are looking at if there is any problem in the neighborhood. The more established the neighborhood, usually the better. If it's adjacent to recently developed property, sometimes they will move into the neighborhood (assuming they are there on the raw land) when the land is cleared for development.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,273 times
Don't forget the coyotes, javalinas, mountain lions, bobcats, bears. You will be running for you life 24/7.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM

175 posts, read 491,469 times
Don't forget the snowbirds, they usually migrate in late December and head back in April. They usually are found in trailer parks, malls and I seen some even at Walmart minding their own business.
You may encounter the odd stray in the Summer, those you don’t look straight in the eyes…they might ask you how you are doing.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM

El_waiboi and observer53 thank you so much for your replies I greatly appreciate the information.

To the others:
I do understand that this may seem ridiculous to many of you (thus the title) however I do feel it is a legitimate question. I was hoping it was not a cause for concern, as well as something easily preventable. The whole point of a forum is to be able to ask these types of questions and receive answers. Not be mocked.

Once again I do appreciate any feedback. However I would prefer to not receive it in a mocking tone.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
El_waiboi and observer53 thank you so much for your replies I greatly appreciate the information.

To the others:
I do understand that this may seem ridiculous to many of you (thus the title) however I do feel it is a legitimate question. I was hoping it was not a cause for concern, as well as something easily preventable. The whole point of a forum is to be able to ask these types of questions and receive answers. Not be mocked.

Once again I do appreciate any feedback. However I would prefer to not receive it in a mocking tone.
Jen...don't be offended, yours is a question that gets asked here quite often. There are even a couple of threads I started myself on this topic a few months back. I don't think they were mocking you, it was just a little CD forum tongue-in-cheek humor.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks johnp292!

I've never posted any questions before... I know its silly ... I would just imagine a snake bite could be quite deadly for a 9lb dog and I wanted to know how prevalent snakes are.

I will take a look at the discussions you have posted!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM

124 posts, read 661,030 times
This is the desert and these things reside in the desert.....we are in Scottsdale and have had a huge issue with scorpions and black widows...... we are currently looking for a house that is away from the mountain to help decrease the amount that we get....but it's a crap shoot and we know this. So far I have seen...rattlesnakes in my driveway, scorpions and black widows outside my doors, (a few in the house too) a gila monster, a tarantula (way cool!!) and a brown recluse....of course there are others too, but those ones will make you sick or can potentially be fatal. We live right at the base of the mountain, so we expected a few....just not this many. OH..don't forget the bobcats, javalinas, and coyotes!! they will kill your small dogs in an instant if given a chance. Just make sure you have a good exterminator and ask about the bug problem BEFORE you move into a place......

Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post

To the others:

The teasing you're receiving is because this is a very common question and has been addressed in countless previous threads. Here's a tiny sampling:

Please convince me that the bugs/snakes should not keep me from moving to Phoenix

No laughing matter - snakes

Oh No, Not Another Scorpion Thread!

Coyote Sighting!

Gila Monsters in Queen Creek?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area