Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times

Advertisements

To answer your question, you can book the Car online at Costco.com as a Canadian. Look under "travel", then select "rental car only", the default will be airport rentals, if you de-select that, you can get the neighborhood locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,018,540 times
you may want to get loss damage waiver (companies loss of use of the car while it's being fixed) as most personal ins. companies will not cover that, but they will cover all else...check with them....

yes, pay attention to Kimballette's comments on the optional fees....

$250 plus fees sounds like a LOT for five or so days for an econ car...keep looking!

though airport fees are stunningly high, I've sometimes found that it's worth it because off-airport locations sometimes charge a higher base fee, negating some of the savings....hotwire, priceline often have great deals at the airport, but check the off-airport price, too, of course....

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM

278 posts, read 544,517 times
Well i dont know but i always rent from Alamo at sky harbor seems dumb but i have my reasons. I dont own a credit card and never did, Alamo never gave me a problem with that. I pay an average of $280 for a shiny red updated Chevy Camaro convertible. amazing car btw. Alamo isnt cheap but the price for that car is reasonable plus they are always open i rent early and return close to midnight. I dont have to deal with money for cabs or places closing early.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 AM

148 posts, read 264,507 times
Can anyone suggest any hotels near the airport that have deals with car rental companies ? I was looking at the Radisson phoenix airport north location, they say their cars are not expensive as the airport car rentals. They also offer a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, Has anyone had experience with this particular hotel ?

I think this plan would be more convenient for us, we land at sky harbour airport at 11pm and have to be at a lawyers office the next day for 10 am, the lawyer is located on Camel back rd in scottsdale, so the schedule is pretty tight.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM

654 posts, read 1,491,284 times
Renting a car in Phoenix is all about timing. I always rent from Enterprise at SkyHarbour. I have never paid more than 350 bucks for an intermediate car on a 10 day rental. Right now I am renting for 10 days for 236 bucks (all taxes included.). Last spring I had a convertible for 15 days for 440 bucks.

Enterprise also doesn't charge for a second driver (spouse).

The trick is to keep checking the rates rebook over and over as the price falls (no need to pay up front). My present rental could have been as high as 780 bucks if I booked it three months in advance. But, the lowest prices usually hit about 30 days before your booking they will last for a couple of days than double over night.

I use this website. http://www.carrentalsavers.com/index.html they will show all rates from all companies.

Don't be a SUCKER! renting a car in Phoenix can be very cheap if you know how to play the game.

If you rent cars more than a couple times of year make sure your auto insurance coverage carries the Rental endorsement. It's very cheap and can save you a fortune over paying rental company insurance.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,018,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Don't be a SUCKER! renting a car in Phoenix can be very cheap if you know how to play the game.

very true for almost anywhere!....but you gotta give it some time.....

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM

148 posts, read 264,507 times
We have booked The Radisson Airport North Hotel located at 427 north 44th street. The enterprise car rental company that is associated with this hotel is asking $50 per day, which I think is very expensive, does anyone know of any car rental companies near the hotel or where we can take transportation too in order to get the car ? We have to be at a lawyers office the next day at 10am, located on CamelRoad East , scottsdale.

I looked at the light rail near the hotel and it does not run up to Scotsdale from what I saw so we will definitely need a car.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM

267 posts, read 690,550 times
One issue of timing is that the football bowl games can add some upward price pressure to the car rental market.

(Fiesta bowl January 3 2013, just after the OP's visit)

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM

326 posts, read 668,281 times
I paid 360 bucks for the week from 24DEC to 31DEC for a Grand Cherokee or similar including all taxes and fees through rentalcars.com (the car is from dollar)

Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,423,314 times
I'm sorry your having all this problem finding a car rental. Like I said Phx is an expensive market for rentals. I don't know the Phx Metro all that well yet. I've only been here since last month. I priced Enterprise myself and I know it was $38 a day for an economy car, way out here in Surprise a few weeks ago. I looked up one for you though, that you might try in Central Phoenix. The prices are still up there for daily rentals but not as bad as your hotel. I did see them running in the $30's a day into the $40's for a full size. The price charged depends on the day your renting, and the cars they have avail. Also if there is an event going on in town. Sometimes you win sometimes you don't on the price. At least if you rent in Central Phx you could get a bus or the lightrail into downtown and make a bus connection there. Or you could bite the bullet and take a cab to the Enterprise office. It is Enterprise Central Phx 602-265-1111

It doesn't help you but I can't resist. Because your difficulty is a perfect example of a serious problem in this area. For the 5th largest city or Metro (whatever it is listed) in the USA. Its a disgrace there is such a serious lack of transit options for residents and tourist alike here. I do believe it is intentional that it is as bad as it is. All that is needed is another gas crisis or rationing and this region would literally be crippled. Basically it would be their own damn fault for not taking care of this problem.

I hope you find something to meet your needs and wallet with this car rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area