Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 13,542 times

Advertisements

So I'll be working all over Mesa, but would rather not live in a different city. I have been advised Tempe or Scottsdale as being a good option. I am 24 and single. I'm looking to spend anywhere between 899-1099 on a two bedroom apartment. I have been looking at various different apartment complexes in Tempe [haven't done too much research on Scottsdale yet] and am just feeling a little overwhelmed at all the options what with not knowing the areas and all. For starters, the complexes I am looking at all seem to have a variety of different area codes within one city. I would like to be around young professionals like myself and don't want to be COMPLETELY surrounded by drunken college kids all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown331 View Post
So I'll be working all over Mesa, but would rather not live in a different city. I have been advised Tempe or Scottsdale as being a good option. I am 24 and single. I'm looking to spend anywhere between 899-1099 on a two bedroom apartment. I have been looking at various different apartment complexes in Tempe [haven't done too much research on Scottsdale yet] and am just feeling a little overwhelmed at all the options what with not knowing the areas and all. For starters, the complexes I am looking at all seem to have a variety of different area codes within one city. I would like to be around young professionals like myself and don't want to be COMPLETELY surrounded by drunken college kids all the time.
In answering your question either or is a fine place. If you don't want to be around drunk college kids then south Tempe would be avoiding ASU. Heck in south Tempe if you never heard of ASU, you wouldn't know if it was even there. South Scottsdale/North Tempe will have that college scene. I live near downtown Scottsdale, and I enjoy it. Then again my rent is $650/month which is considered cheap in the area.

Last edited by observer53; 10-21-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
If you stay south of Broadway, or certainly south of Southern Ave, in Tempe, you will have a lot less of the college crowd. I don't know what you mean by different area codes, perhaps you mean ZIP codes. Look in 85282, certainly in 85283, 85284.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,542 times
Thanks for all the replies so far guys! No, I mean area codes, the first 3 digits in a phone number. Looks like Tempe seems to have 480, 855, 877, 623. Also, does not being around the college crowd as much [lets say living South of Broadway] mean there is less to do or less of a nightlife? I am still young enough to be around the college crowd, but I would just prefer to meet people who are maybe just a few years out of college like myself.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
No. Tempe has ONE area code for landlines, 480. If you are seeing other area codes contact numbers for apts, those are management company numbers or rental agents cell phone numbers.

There's still plenty to do in Tempe or in the immediate surrounding area in terms of nightlife and other activities.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown331 View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far guys! No, I mean area codes, the first 3 digits in a phone number. Looks like Tempe seems to have 480, 855, 877, 623. Also, does not being around the college crowd as much [lets say living South of Broadway] mean there is less to do or less of a nightlife? I am still young enough to be around the college crowd, but I would just prefer to meet people who are maybe just a few years out of college like myself.
877 and 855 are 800's numbers not local area codes, and 623 is the area code for the west valley. 480 is the East Valley, and 602 is Phoenix. The nightlife in Tempe is on Mill Ave next to ASU. Once you get a couple miles away from, the Campus along Broadway you will run into less students. The students tend to live east of the campus. I live between Southern and Baseline between Priest and Mill and you wouldn't know the campus is down the street.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
There are a bunch of apartments on Grove Parkway right near Kyrene and Elliot in south Tempe. Seems mostly to be younger professionals and occasional grad students. I lived there when I first lived in Arizona for a year and they are nice complexes and within your price range (some are gated, all have pools, clubhouses, etc.). There are tons of shopping and eating places nearby and it's easy to get around from there. I'd check them out.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
I concur that south Tempe might be more to the OP's liking.

Otherwise, Chandler would be another southeast valley city to check out, close to Mesa and far enough away from the younger ASU-Mill crowd.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

357 posts, read 711,868 times
South Tempe or South/Central Scottsdale would all work. I'd check out both areas and see which fits you better. All areas mentioned will have options in your price range although your money won't go quite as far in Central Scottsdale.

Central Scottsdale apartments tend to have more of a party vibe since they're pretty much filled with people in their 20's. There's lots of debates about people liking/hating Old Town nightlife but the reason a lot of people in their 20s live in those complexes is due to the large amount of nightlife in Old Town Scottsdale. I'm in my 20s and don't want that vibe anymore so bought a townhome in Central Scottsdale in a quiet complex. If you like the area but not the vibe of the apartments look into renting a condo in a smaller complex.

I also used to live at McDowell and Scottsdale (which could be considered South or Central Scottsdale, not quite sure) and really liked that area, very close to the 202 for a commute for you, and in between Tempe and Old Town so you could have both options available to you until you decide which area you prefer more.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,074 times
North Tempe, near Tempe Center for the Arts, is also a pretty good area. There are still a lot of college kids around, but it's a mix of college/non-college people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area