Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,622,209 times

Advertisements

*sigh* I'm also confident you're right, Observer53.

Well, that's okay...
I was looking at google maps and Ahwatukee has both a Target and a Trader Joes... I'll survive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 AM

890 posts, read 2,269,553 times
IMO Verrado is pretty overrated anyway. We took a tour for one of our classes and though it is very pretty, it seems overpriced and there's not much new construction going on. They are still subsidizing Bashas' so they will stay open and the main drag was dead around dinnertime on a weeknight as there isn't much there yet. It took me over 45 minutes to get there in light traffic from the ASU campus...I shudder to think how long it would be during peak hours. It seems like they were counting on continued growth to fill in between the current developments and the Verrado border, but the market tanked and now it is an island in the middle of the desert. It's too expensive considering the rest of the 'master plan' will not be completed for many years to come.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,983,547 times
If I were in your position, I would concentrate heavily on Arcadia in Phoenix. Fantastic older neighborhood that will provide a lot of what you're looking for in a quality over quantity situation. The kind of neighborhood that places like Verrado are trying to emulate. If you're looking for the master planned community environment that trends toward new urbanism, check out Agritopia in Gilbert. Just a short drive from the Polytech campus, and ASU even though getting there can be a little indirect. Same developer and style as Verrado, better access to shopping and amenities though. This neighborhood is roughly the intersection of Ray and Higley, right along the 202.

Alternatively, the older neighborhoods around Mill just south of the ASU main campus could be a very good fit for you. Unique neighborhood, and kept up pretty well for the most part.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,233,570 times
Another area that slipped my mind (bad, as I used to live there) is The Lakes in Tempe. It's an older (70's) area with a man made lake, community center w pool, etc. In Tempe, you'd also have access to its Parks and Rec Dept, which is great and has a wide variety of sports and special interest classes.

And, relating to your other thread, Tempe has a coffee shop inside its public library.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,554,752 times
Seville in Gilbert is around the nursing campus, affordable community and really nice for a family
pictures of seville gilbert az | Desert Community Living
Ocotillo as mentioned but it's a bit more expensive and a lot of homes there have scorpions because of the lake
Ocotillo Real Estate
Closer to ASU campus there is The Lakes in Tempe, it's a nice community, a bit older and a lot of professors live there
The Lakes of Tempe - www.thelakesoftempe.com
Also Val Vista lakes in Chandler/Mesa/Gilbert border
Val Vista Lakes Community Association - About Val Vista Lakes

There are so many like these around, you have a lot of choices. All within your budget and family friendly. The more toward Gilbert you go the cheaper and newer they get.

I personally don't like Ahwatukee or South Phoenix, but some love it.

Last edited by PoppySead; 10-30-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 AM

17 posts, read 29,069 times
I am going to second the recommendation on The Lakes in Tempe. I love the look and feel of that neighborhood. Arcadia is another area I have often considered moving to as it is more urban and centrally located than Chandler, where I live. That being said and based on your original post, I would think Tempe would be the best fit. Once outside a 2 mile radius of campus, you won't be surrounded by undergrads anymore.

I can see why you are considering the Polytechnic campus since that is also where the CGCC nursing program is located. Just take note that it is on the far eastern edge of the valley (in one of the most conservative areas) and is dominated by national chains and the like. But hey, I am not a conservative and I live on the Chandler/Gilbert border so it just depends on how you feel about being in the minority politically.

To sum up, I recommend Tempe, Arcadia, Ahwatukee, and Chandler.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies... I have a lot to work with!

Gilbert seems great in so many ways and Agritopia seems to have a very similar feel to my community here in Issaquah. However, in reading up on the its background I learned of its strong religious background. That is not in itself a deal breaker but it would be if "faith-living" is a substantial component of the day to day community culture. We just simply wouldn't fit in to it.

The Lakes in Tempe (thanks for that link!) looks like it has a ton of character and community offerings... and it seems to have some affordability based on our budget constraints and is still near campus.

Thanks again! Very helpful folks, you are

Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM

81 posts, read 345,251 times
Some good advice on places to live for a liberally minded family. Welcome to congressional district 9 (more independents registered than either Dems or Repubs). The Lakes, South Tempe (between Elliot and Warner, N-S, and Rural and McClntock, E-W), and Ahwatukee would be good fits for you, as has been mentioned.

As you look at schools, be sure to get on the waiting list for this school: Tempe Preparatory Academy for 6-12 grades, a charter school (private school environment--22 kids to a class), horrible facilities, diverse student body, not wealthy, best test scores in the state, waiting list, highest percentage national merit semifinalists in the state, and free to attend. Read that last sentence again. A Catholic school-type discipline (Latin included) and advanced curriculum, high expectations and parental involvement with no religion. Good to go in Tempe!

Kyrene school district is the public school district in this area and okay to pretty good on average, very good for the kids that are in all honours classes and can focus on AP classes and academic track. Ahwatukee schools would be the best in class for Kyrene, in my humble opinion.

In any case, welcome.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome TransporterG

Schools is a difficult subject for us. We have to contend with many variables and my older son is one of them. He is high-functioning autistic and especially struggles with ADD in school (we're getting ready to start a medication study for that). I'm pragmatic about projections into the future... I don't see a future merit scholar His intelligence doesn't seem compromised but he's still in special ed. If you are up on Vygotsky's theories of development, I'd say his zone of proximal development is very typical for his age, but he pretty much needs constant assistance to move forward.

The reason why I mention this is because when I was seeking schools in Seattle I purposefully moved us to the attendance zone for the 3rd best performing school in Washington. Sounds very similar to Tempe Prep. 1950's, crumbling building, "just enough" affluence, HIGHLY educated families (lawyers, politicians, UW Seattle faculty), very comprehensive extracurricular activities, outstanding scores, resources and very, very smart kids. My son did not thrive in this environment and we moved after 9 months. The culture of the school was for the cultured and intellectual elites.. children who could do, and enjoyed, art, creativity, It's something we wished we could take advantage of but not one that works. It might work for our younger kid though.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,919 times
Default flyingsaucermom - curious what you found?

I am moving to Phoenix next month, and was looking at threads, and have many of the same interests as flyingsaucermom. I want to be close to light rail if possible, need strong schools for my kids (10 and 13), with a neighborhood with kids and safety, given that I'm a single mom and work. I appreciate a bohemian/artistic/liberal community, but have no idea where to find that in Phoenix. Any advice? I'd like to be close to light rail, as I'll likely be working in the downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area