Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking into moving to 19th avenue and McDowell but
I am concerned about the safety. Ive never spent time in that neighborhood, the villa verde district to be exact. Does anybody have opinions on how safe that area is or how dangerous if that's the case??? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,751 times
Definitely not a good area and the further west you go the worse it gets.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
You'll get opinions like the above, but like many areas in the Valley with a less favorable reputation, you may hear from people who actually live there who get along just fine. I see that it's a historic district. That is a positive, to me, in terms of a a neighborhood feel and function to the area, and sets it apart from some of the other older areas in west Phoenix.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,846 times
Thank you for replying, really hoping to hear from residents of that neighborhood!!

Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,795 times
It's a decent area. The neighborhood itself is very small compared to other Phoenix neighborhoods: Monte Vista to Granada Road, 19th Avenue to 20th Avenue. Pull that up on google maps and you will see how small it really is. People are going to tell you it is a gang neighborhood, but that is not true. I am going to be honest with you - there are a lot of different hoods not far from there, but that historic district is a good pocket. I think that kind of area (a historic district so close to downtown) is going to skyrocket in property values in the next few years. If you work in for the State of AZ in the Govt district right down the street then I would definitely focus on that area.

I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood and she is very happy there. She told me that she has always felt safe there and had no issues. And just for the record she is Caucasian and a single mother. The only issue you may have is that, like all historic districts, sometimes you have to put a little money into the property upon purchase to make it up to your standards.

Plus I looked at the two properties currently for sale on the MLS and they both look nice and definitely worth going to look at in person. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
You could do better or worse. I might be moving a bit south of there later this month. A question like yours will generate some knee-jerk hyperbole. It's an area you'll have to experience for yourself. No one else can dictate if you will be comfortable or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area