Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 PM

27 posts, read 44,035 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Phoenix and would rather not drive myself. I am looking for U pack we move companies. I have found quite a few but none of them offer car trailer rental to tow your car. I have seen plenty of sites offering to transport my car in a separate truck but that is not what I want. I know I can rent a trailer with Uhaul and drive it myself but I want to fly and have the movers drive the truck without having to pay an extra $1000 to transport my car. Any websites or leads in the right direction would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliford View Post
I am planning a move to Phoenix and would rather not drive myself. I am looking for U pack we move companies. I have found quite a few but none of them offer car trailer rental to tow your car. I have seen plenty of sites offering to transport my car in a separate truck but that is not what I want. I know I can rent a trailer with Uhaul and drive it myself but I want to fly and have the movers drive the truck without having to pay an extra $1000 to transport my car. Any websites or leads in the right direction would help. Thanks.

We used Broadway Express and they will move your vehicle in the truck with the household goods. It was an excellent experience and I would recommend them.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM

81 posts, read 214,299 times
What city are you moving from? How big is the car.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC58 View Post
What city are you moving from? How big is the car.
Previous posts indicate Minnesota.

I doubt furniture movers would move any car for much less than $1k. Just renting a tow dolly would cost a few hundred + the liability & extra fuel.

If it were me, I'd use abf u-pack & hire a separate shipper for the car- someone highly reputable like FedEx/passport. You don't want to use one of the brokers that quotes low & leaves your car in limbo until they can find someone desperate enough to haul it. Lots of horror stories with car shippers out there.

If cost is an issue, you can usually knock it down a bit by delivering the car to a shipping depot in MN and picking it up at the shipping depot in Phoenix. It's usually at least a couple hundred in savings that way.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
I reccomend ABF U-pack as well - BUT - CALL CALL CALL to get the quote - I saved 400.00 over the internet price! Cant help with the car shipping though...

Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I reccomend ABF U-pack as well - BUT - CALL CALL CALL to get the quote - I saved 400.00 over the internet price! Cant help with the car shipping though...

this!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM

675 posts, read 1,413,887 times
We used abf upack as well. But they don't offer a solution for vehicle transport, which seems to be one of the key goals of the OP. Upack drops off either a 'cube' or a 28' trailer and you pack it and they move it. In neither case can you put a vehicle in it.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,742 times
I used UHaul's UBox. They drop off the box, you pack it, they pick it up, then store it at the destination. This doesn't help with the car, though. I'd just make a trailer-less road trip out of it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I used ABF as well, and I agree about calling, they are very negotiable over the phone. Two things I learned the hard way though....they vastly underestimated the linear feet of trailer space we would need, and you need to protect your belongings by wrapping and packing them much more securely than you would in a moving company truck. The ABF OTR trailers are tough on your stuff. The service they provided was outstanding though.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 AM
RLV

7 posts, read 24,529 times
We used ABF as well ... received a quote on the phone ... $50 coupon for liking on Facebook. Two weeks later ... I called to say that Hertz was much cheaper and then knocked $900 off the original quote. They even showed a $50 discount on the new discounted price. I have to disagree with the underestimating ... we didn't use nearly the 28 foot we expected. We were also only charged for 23 linear feet when I am sure we were to the 25 marking in the truck before the wall.

A few words of advice ... hire a moving company to put the stuff in the truck. The trailer is really tall and you must have someone who does this for a living to get the best bang for your buck. We packed/prepared our stuff ... they loaded it. They used clothes line nylon type strong throughout the entire loading process ... it was like a huge spider web when it was finished. Our only trouble was moving blankets. We had our stuff in storage for two months so we couldn't rent them from UHAUL or something of the sort. We went to all of the Goodwill type stores in the area and bought every blanket/comforter we could find. We wrapped out stuff with that ... shrink wrapped it with the rolls from Home depot ... then donated the blankets back when we unpacked.

We had our car shipped through progressive auto movers ... door to door service. No problems except our car was FILTHY when it arrived. We also liked that for $75 they let us PACK our car. We put everything that we absolutely didn't want broken plus all of our wine in the car since it arrived in two days.

Total cost Washington DC - Phoenix ... ABF $3900 including two months of storage and $900 for the auto transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area