Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times

Advertisements

As for the topic of pursuits - actually they are fairly common. Most do only last a few minutes though - not because the suspects give up as stated earlier (although some do), but more frequently because the suspects bail out on foot, many times after crashing the car. This usually all happens so fast that the media doesnt have time to get on scene.

Now - out in the more rural areas like down here in Pinal County - longer pursuits are much more common (almost daily)because there are fewer places to bail out on foot and hide and the drug runners do not want to lose the cargo they are carrying - so they last longer. But again, the media doesnt get to them quickly enough to broadcast most times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM

153 posts, read 317,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
As for the topic of pursuits - actually they are fairly common. Most do only last a few minutes though - not because the suspects give up as stated earlier (although some do), but more frequently because the suspects bail out on foot, many times after crashing the car. This usually all happens so fast that the media doesnt have time to get on scene.

Now - out in the more rural areas like down here in Pinal County - longer pursuits are much more common (almost daily)because there are fewer places to bail out on foot and hide and the drug runners do not want to lose the cargo they are carrying - so they last longer. But again, the media doesnt get to them quickly enough to broadcast most times....
This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I asked a friend of mine that owns a scanner about this subject and he said that it happens at least once a day somewhere in the valley, but it lasts only a few minutes because the police don't tolerate it.

It's always puzzled me why police in their V8 cars let people in the V4 minivans and cars go on for as long as they do. Seems to me like they should put a stop to it early on.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, if you mean a vicious () animal, then I'd say:
  1. If the police warned the suspect to surrender first (which they always do), and
  2. the suspect refused,
  3. then the suspect has no one to blame but himself/herself.
  4. Why would the suspect have "an inherent right to defend" himself/herself???
And I agree with observer. Those wild police chases are always heavily publicized in local news, wherever they occur. Things are not going unreported.
They would have a right to defend themselves because:
1: Most of the country still believes in the constitution,
2: suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law
3: we haven't *quite* reached the point where a judge would sentence someone to mauling by a dog.
4: (except in sun city) - id suspect if sheriff Joe wanted to form an "elite dog mauling task force", he'd win by an even bigger margin.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, if you mean a vicious () animal, then I'd say:
  1. If the police warned the suspect to surrender first (which they always do), and
  2. the suspect refused,
  3. then the suspect has no one to blame but himself/herself.
  4. Why would the suspect have "an inherent right to defend" himself/herself???
And I agree with observer. Those wild police chases are always heavily publicized in local news, wherever they occur. Things are not going unreported.
Well maybe I shouldn't have used the word "right" but maybe self preservation instinct. The robber screws up and doesn't surrender, now here comes the dog. At that point the human instinct of protecting itself kicks in and let's just say he has a gun. I'm not trying to side with the criminal, it's just one of those thoughts I've always pondered. Anyway back to police chases.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They would have a right to defend themselves because:
1: Most of the country still believes in the constitution,
2: suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law
3: we haven't *quite* reached the point where a judge would sentence someone to mauling by a dog.
4: (except in sun city) - id suspect if sheriff Joe wanted to form an "elite dog mauling task force", he'd win by an even bigger margin.
It doesn't, and it should not matter where you live, if a person commits a serious crime, he or she has given up their constitutional rights, except maybe for the Miranda right.

Police officers determine whether they need to release a canine on the suspect to help in apprehending them. If a criminal was involved in a very serious criminal act, that suspect is viewed as potentially dangerous and police often have no choice but to release a canine on the suspects. The bottom line is, when a suspect is warned of what will happen if he or she doesn't surrender, then what other means do police need to convince the suspect to surrender? You have to put yourself in a dangerous situation as many of our police officers do to be able to make the determination on the use of canines or other weapons. If a dangerous criminal get bit by a canine, they should consider themselves lucky because the outcome could have been worse.

On police chases, we never had that problem before in Phoenix, but they started becoming more common in recent years. I can't understand why these idiots want to risk their own lives, and the lives of others by getting involved in such dangerous pursuits, especially when they know that no criminal has ever been able to get away in such situations.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
V4 minivans
V4 minivans??????

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM

153 posts, read 317,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
V4 minivans??????
Toyota Sienna...

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Toyota Sienna...
Mine has a V6 and a good amount of go in it

I'm also not sure exactly what that has to do with a chase scenario as you have to account for the safety of the police driver and the other drivers on the roadway

Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Let's keep this thread confined to the original topic of police chases, and not go off into other aspects of law enforcement activity.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Toyota Sienna...
Nope, it's a I4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area