Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't think its helpful to judge a new resident on his adjustment to the area. The fact is we need to help them, not criticize them. Especially telling someone they aren't adjusting to their move, the way they should. What the ??? This forum is for assisting newcomers, not making them feel like they made a bad choice.
I think it is helpful to point out when someone is perceiving something that isn't actually the case. Especially someone who came from a huge metro area already and should be used to news headlines that come with living in an area with millions of people.

It doesn't help other new residents when they read posts from people that are blowing stuff out of proportion as it just creates unwarranted angst for them.

Last edited by observer53; 11-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted portion of post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Seems that Interstate 10 is dangerous in Texas as well, not just an AZ thing...140 cars in one crash this morning. Wow, glad there were no deaths.

I-10 pileup in Jefferson County - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
Sometimes I find this disconcerting as well. So much so that I fly when I travel between Arizona and elsewhere. But if you think about it, Maricopa County has (according to 2011) 3,880,000 residents. Statistically, perhaps two million of these residents drive and unfortunately there will be a fatality daily from that group.

Focus on being a defensive driver, be very aware. Always use seat belts, do not drink and drive. Avoid evening drives when more DUIs are about, use your turn signals ALWAYS so that you will warn other drivers what you intend to do and they will maneuver to avoid you - it's your life - those who do not use turn signals are more likely to get in an accident.

Traffic engineers and car designers are coming up with more and more ways of designing for safety.

I like to think that I could use the dedicated bike paths in my Phoenix neighborhood to avoid the dangerous traffic. And statistically flying is safer than driving. I like to think that you more likely encounter sleepy drivers on long stretches of interstates than in the city, so you should fly more often or drive the long stretches at certain hours where sleepy drivers are less likely to be encountered. If you are drowsy yourself, pull over to the side and take a nap at a rest stop - this is why I avoid driving the interstate between LA and Phoenix in the hot months. I don't want to be cooked in my car while I sleep at a rest stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
It seems that there are deadly accidents on the freeway daily. Why is it so dangerous? My wife and I would like to take some trips to Southeastern Arizona and out to Los Angeles, but we don't want to put our life in unnecessary danger.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
I personally don't think I-10 is any worse than any other busy highway in a metro area. This week, you have to assume there's more holiday traffic. I think with 90% of all holiday travelers driving this weekend (as opposed to flying or other options), it just means more traffic on the roads. The major accidents the past few days were in areas that have only 2 lanes in each direction. When there's a fatality on a freeway, the road tends to be closed for a while so Arizona DPS can investigate.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
I will say, all freeways around the Valley seem to get worse in the Winter months. Snowbirds have no idea how to drive...

Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
remember that interstate 10 stretches from los angeles california to florida. there are parts that have issues with weather such as texas canyon in arizona between tucson and new mexico. in the winter months that area can be closed due to heavy snow. the stretch in texas where there was a recent 50 car pile up has issues with fog on a regular basis. the stretch that runs through arizona and southern new mexico has issues with heavy dust storms in the summer. and of course there are the heavy traffic issues in the large cities that dot the interstate. that said however, I-10 is one of the better interstates to drive. one does have to follow the rules of the road, and pay attention to ones driving.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 PM

310 posts, read 1,159,938 times
Statistically speaking Thanksgiving weekend is the most travelled holiday, so naturally there are going to be more accidents on the roads. Also, I 10 is the major highway leading west into LA, there is a huge amount of 18 wheel traffic so the likely hood of accidents is naturally higher.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM

344 posts, read 812,538 times
10 is one long-a** highway, in which vehicles are traveling at high speeds. Which on any highway will eventually add up to occasional accidents.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Don't think it is the speed, but the attention, or lack thereof, that drivers display.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Don't think it is the speed, but the attention, or lack thereof, that drivers display.
And that's true of any freeway, both in urban areas and elsewhere. The OP should not worry about undue risk to his life or that of his wife to travel to SE Arizona or to California on that road. Stay alert, stay awake, have your car in good working order. Same advice as for any highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area