Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 AM

748 posts, read 1,763,935 times

Advertisements

I spent the month of October training in Chandler.

The climate was awesome...I got the tail end of the heat and the beginning of beautiful 75 degree days.
Your road system is amazing, with nice wide roads and huge road signs.

The southwest architecture (for a lifelong midwesterner) is really cool. And it doesn't hurt that you get to have palm trees.

I loved my time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM

24,173 posts, read 13,030,042 times
What a refreshing post for City Data! Excluding the purely informational posts, it seems that a good chunk of CD posts are negative. (I'm not counting the political posts, which are, well, political.) Nice to see you enjoyed the Phoenix area. While it's not my home anymore, it was where I spent my first two decades and is a place I always enjoy going back to.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,626,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post

The climate was awesome...I got the tail end of the heat and the beginning of beautiful 75 degree days.

The southwest architecture (for a lifelong midwesterner) is really cool. And it doesn't hurt that you get to have palm trees.

I loved my time there.
You should try living here. I moved here from Oregon about 18 months ago. Still feels like I'm on vacation. For me, it gets better and better the longer I live here. I couldn't be happier. Some will disagree but I'm thrilled.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,213,565 times
Thanks for the great post! I think City Data is not representative of the Phoenix Metropolitan area. Most residents that I meet could not live anywhere else to the point that people will go for a year being unemployed than move. And I know a lot of people that moved during the recession that moved back or are in the process of moving back. As the economy is improving, you are seeing signs of the busy nature of the pre-recession days. For example, I go to a holiday party every year at the same venue. Yesterday, there were 4 holiday parties there. Last year there 2, the year before that there was 1. They charged more money this year as prices increased. Restaurants are busier. Stores are for sure busier. I took my daughter to Toys R U on a Wednesday evening last week and there was a line in the store that extended to the back of the store. I understand it's the holidays but that wasn't the case last year or the year before that. The craziness is coming back and this is a good thing

Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,251,465 times
I never got why so much negativity here. I've not been here long, just since March. But I am enjoying it here quite a lot. Glad you enjoyed your time here too

Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM

106 posts, read 221,277 times
Phoenix truly is a great city. The people are beyond nice. I enjoy living in Phoenix and the state of Arizona.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,677,838 times
This is a nice post! Glad to hear positive feedback from those who live outside the state. We truly are blessed.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,626,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This is a nice post! Glad to hear positive feedback from those who live outside the state. We truly are blessed.
I feel so blessed to be included in the "We" part. It took 4 years to sell the place in Oregon and in that time, I always felt like the kid looking through the window of the toy store. Now that I'm here, living here is as good if not better than the glorified picture I had in my mind. The people are much nicer than I had hoped for, the weather is far better than I was led to believe, the lakes, rivers and mountains are more beautiful than I had hoped for and I'm happier than I had ever thought possible.
I can't point at any single thing. It's just a combination of everything. Usually, at least for me, when I would go on vacation or would make a move, I always had this idealistic picture in my mind how perfect something would be. Typically, most things don't live up to the picture you have in your head but when I moved here, it exceeded my ideas of what life here would be like.
I have a lot of people visit now that I've moved here. One friend has already bought a house and moved here and several others are hoping to move here in the near future. Even my daughter, who swore she would never leave the the beautiful Pacific Northwest, visited several times now that I'm settled and is toying with the idea of moving here next year.
While no place is perfect, this area is tough to beat in so many ways and I am so happy to be here. I've lived through two summers now and the heat isn't as tough to deal with as I thought. It even has a few advantages.
I'll end this now as I'm going to go for a nice walk. In a few hours I'm going to hop on the motorcycle and take a little ride up to Canyon Lake for lunch. December and I'm going to go for a walk in shorts and a light jacket and an afternoon ride. HOW COOL IS THAT??????

Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,546,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I feel so blessed to be included in the "We" part. It took 4 years to sell the place in Oregon and in that time, I always felt like the kid looking through the window of the toy store. Now that I'm here, living here is as good if not better than the glorified picture I had in my mind. The people are much nicer than I had hoped for, the weather is far better than I was led to believe, the lakes, rivers and mountains are more beautiful than I had hoped for and I'm happier than I had ever thought possible.
I can't point at any single thing. It's just a combination of everything. Usually, at least for me, when I would go on vacation or would make a move, I always had this idealistic picture in my mind how perfect something would be. Typically, most things don't live up to the picture you have in your head but when I moved here, it exceeded my ideas of what life here would be like.
I have a lot of people visit now that I've moved here. One friend has already bought a house and moved here and several others are hoping to move here in the near future. Even my daughter, who swore she would never leave the the beautiful Pacific Northwest, visited several times now that I'm settled and is toying with the idea of moving here next year.
While no place is perfect, this area is tough to beat in so many ways and I am so happy to be here. I've lived through two summers now and the heat isn't as tough to deal with as I thought. It even has a few advantages.
I'll end this now as I'm going to go for a nice walk. In a few hours I'm going to hop on the motorcycle and take a little ride up to Canyon Lake for lunch. December and I'm going to go for a walk in shorts and a light jacket and an afternoon ride. HOW COOL IS THAT??????
That's pretty darn cool! I love your post, you really know how to enjoy the desert.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,546,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post

I loved my time there.
Glad you like it! I've been here all my life and I still love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area