Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide
I agree, but I have to add that I dislike the common argument that "they're stealing our jobs". I agree that illegal immigration is a serious problem that outrages me, but there really are few jobs that citizens, at least here in AZ, lose to illegal immigrants.
I'm not sure I agree with you there. We might be surprised how many jobs are currently held by illegal aliens. I guess we'll find out in January, won't we? Unless the pro-illegal supporters are successful in putting a stop to the sanctions. I think the pro-illegal supporters have been very successful in brainwashing many into believing the illegal aliens are only taking jobs "Americans won't do". I don't buy the rhetoric myself. That being said, I also certainly respect your right to believe what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 AM

47 posts, read 198,856 times
I live in England and want to move to AZ. You should see the amount of paperwork I have to complete, but I don't mind. Personally I feel that if someone wants to live somewhere else, then they should be able to prove their intentions and also prove their capability for contributing to the society. Strangely, one of my reasons for wanting to leave England is the massive influx of foreigners. It looks like it will be the same for me in AZ (assuming I get a visa), but at least the sun will be shining!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM

235 posts, read 922,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Oh yes. Construction. That is the industry I forgot.

Maybe they should report their employers.
It's the biggest industry in the Valley. In most cases there's no one to report as most of the illegals have counterfeit documents. Even if an employer doesn't hire illegals they have to compete with the one that do. They are forced to drop their wages to compete with the illegals or they won't get new subcontracts. The illegals have taken many construction jobs that used to support a middle class lifestyle and turned them into $10.00 an hour jobs.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
The officer that is the topic of this thread - he is going back on duty Saturday!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The officer that is the topic of this thread - he is going back on duty Saturday!
No pun intended, Greatday, but . . . definitely GREAT NEWS as well as a GREAT DAY!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you there. We might be surprised how many jobs are currently held by illegal aliens. I guess we'll find out in January, won't we? Unless the pro-illegal supporters are successful in putting a stop to the sanctions. I think the pro-illegal supporters have been very successful in brainwashing many into believing the illegal aliens are only taking jobs "Americans won't do". I don't buy the rhetoric myself. That being said, I also certainly respect your right to believe what you want.
Yes, I think both sides of the debate inflate statistics, as is the case with most highly controversial debates. Regardless though, why should so many people be allowed to run free illegally when so many people like Dazgaz go through the correct process to come here. I would imagine that it's easier for someone from England to immigrate than some other countries, and I think it's a huge disrespect to those who are honest for those who are dishonest to so blatantly disregard US law. They come here because the US laws are set up to promote prosperity, and yet they care so little about the law that they come here illegally, throwing our own law in our faces. I figure that if they really want to be US citizens, they would respect the law. But that's just me, I guess.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Yes, I think both sides of the debate inflate statistics, as is the case with most highly controversial debates. Regardless though, why should so many people be allowed to run free illegally when so many people like Dazgaz go through the correct process to come here. I would imagine that it's easier for someone from England to immigrate than some other countries, and I think it's a huge disrespect to those who are honest for those who are dishonest to so blatantly disregard US law. They come here because the US laws are set up to promote prosperity, and yet they care so little about the law that they come here illegally, throwing our own law in our faces. I figure that if they really want to be US citizens, they would respect the law. But that's just me, I guess.
NOT just you, Artliquide . . . your logic makes perfect sense!

The primary question . . . why are so many Leaders, both local and national, having problems with such basic common sense?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
I read that. Good news. Poor guy is a 22 yr old rookie. What a way to start off a career..

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM

419 posts, read 1,524,862 times
Common sense is not what our leaders are after. They are after $$$. If illegal workers (and criminals) increase productivity numbers by a billion dollars, then a few dead cops, a few raped women, is just seen as an unfortunate side effect.

There's no way these criminals would be here, publicly mocking us and our laws, if our govt didn't want them here.

You have to remember, you and I, our neighbors and family members, coworkers- what we want is not the same as what the decision-makers want.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,330 times
Quote:
Definitely NOT just you! I couldn't agree more, with everything you said. That happens to be one of my biggest issues with the illegal alien influx. We have quotas for a reason. We cannot sustain rampant illegal movement across our borders. I welcome with open arms and an open heart those who come here legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area