Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:16 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this link below City of Phoenix rated by zipcode Dark blue is rated more safe according to their system which is not only based on total crime but the number of violent crime. If you look you see bad pockets mixed in good pockets. I would stay out of south Phoenix and Maryvale but if your in a car during the daytime on the major streets your probably okay. Different story if your on foot, or living in those areas. I really like Scottsdale its far from the trash of those 2 parts of town the police do a good job of keeping the them out. If you go to Phoenix you start seeing those skinny meth heads begging for money on street corners and hit you up as you go into a circle K.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You can look at all of Arizona too.

If you listen to the news most of the trouble is after dark and in the area of Maryvale it's surpased crime rates of even south Phoenix. Glendale has a high crime rate too for being such a small city.

Maryvale (Phoenix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Take a look at this link below City of Phoenix rated by zipcode Dark blue is rated more safe according to their system which is not only based on total crime but the number of violent crime. If you look you see bad pockets mixed in good pockets. I would stay out of south Phoenix and Maryvale but if your in a car during the daytime on the major streets your probably okay. Different story if your on foot, or living in those areas. I really like Scottsdale its far from the trash of those 2 parts of town the police do a good job of keeping the them out. If you go to Phoenix you start seeing those skinny meth heads begging for money on street corners and hit you up as you go into a circle K.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You can look at all of Arizona too.

If you listen to the news most of the trouble is after dark and in the area of Maryvale it's surpased crime rates of even south Phoenix. Glendale has a high crime rate too for being such a small city.

Maryvale (Phoenix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll definitely check those out, but only for looks.
As far as crime goes, I never tend to worry about it myself as I'm just a heavy-set, dark-skinned Asian dude who could pass for whatever in any particular setting.

Throw on the right garb, and I'll blend right in with the so-called weirdos enough to slip pass undetected.
Also, since I still drive semis, dealing with panhandlers and such isn't anything new to me any more.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
If I could get some feed back im moving to mesa from NJ in april of this yr can anyone give me some tips ty

Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyeNj View Post
If I could get some feed back im moving to mesa from NJ in april of this yr can anyone give me some tips ty

We need more information. Are you renting or buying in Mesa (renting is often a good thing to do at first until you know the area better). Is it just you who is moving, or do you have kids, so that schools are an issue? Do you know where you will be working (cross streets or approximate location is enough, you don't have to give out the exact name of the business) ? What is your budget for renting/buying?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyeNj View Post
haha - my tagline should be goodbyeNJ2x grew up in NJ moved here '93 missed family left, came back '13!! you won't regret your decision... look at apartments.com and get a place close to where you are going to work

Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,725 times
Hello Everyone,

I was looking at potential real estate in the PHX area. I live in northern CA and I can't buy a decent home for under 300k. While browsing through Zillow I found many nice looking homes for under 100k, a lot of which were in the 70k range. The areas of the affordable housing were very spread out over the entire city so it's hard to pinpoint if these are located in bad neighborhoods.

How is the Broadway (E Broadway rd) area between 16th and 24th street. there are blocks of homes in that neighborhood for under 100k and one that i saw looked very nice ( 3bdrm, 2 bath 1400 sq ft).

Which areas of Phx should I actively avoid? How is crime in the area? I live in a large city where like anything there are certain areas you need to avoid but I've never felt unsafe and was never worried about someone breaking into my home at night.

As you can see in the below map, just about all areas of Phx have housing in the 60-90k range. Are these all bad areas?

Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 02-22-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 12:44 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was looking at potential real estate in the PHX area. I live in northern CA and I can't buy a decent home for under 300k. While browsing through Zillow I found many nice looking homes for under 100k, a lot of which were in the 70k range. The areas of the affordable housing were very spread out over the entire city so it's hard to pinpoint if these are located in bad neighborhoods.

How is the Broadway (E Broadway rd) area between 16th and 24th street. there are blocks of homes in that neighborhood for under 100k and one that i saw looked very nice ( 3bdrm, 2 bath 1400 sq ft).
^^^Not the most desirable area.
Decent areas you'll probably be paying in the $150,000-$250,000 areas. Are you going to school here or looking for a job, that would make a difference in where to locate.
This site may help you in your decisions...
http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/1...es-in-phoenix/

Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Decent areas you'll probably be paying in the $150,000-$250,000 areas. Are you going to school here or looking for a job, that would make a difference in where to locate.
Safe and Dangerous Places in Phoenix - AOL Travel Ideas
I'm just doing some very very general research on affordable housing in the USA. But id like to stay in the Midwest as I'm from Northern CA. I'm single and in my 20's. I would not be going to college and I have work lined up (my employer is nationwide and I can transfer to a lot of locations). If the house is under 100k I would be paying cash.

Is Mesa any nicer? I see similiar prices in that area as well. Honestly I'd be looking for a house in a decent neighborhood where I'm not at fear of my house being broke into at night. I want a simple life where I have financial flexibility and I can work part time. That won't be an option if I stay in CA which is ridiculously expensive.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I'm just doing some very very general research on affordable housing in the USA. But id like to stay in the Midwest as I'm from Northern CA. I'm single and in my 20's. I would not be going to college and I have work lined up (my employer is nationwide and I can transfer to a lot of locations). If the house is under 100k I would be paying cash.

Is Mesa any nicer? I see similiar prices in that area as well. Honestly I'd be looking for a house in a decent neighborhood where I'm not at fear of my house being broke into at night. I want a simple life where I have financial flexibility and I can work part time. That won't be an option if I stay in CA which is ridiculously expensive.

The area where you are seeing those prices in Mesa will be better than the other area, but the prices are still an indicator of the quality of the neighborhood. Look at some of the crime mapping sites to see what shows up for the area you are looking at. What areas of Mesa are you looking at.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Safe and Dangerous Places in Phoenix - AOL Travel Ideas

That article is going on 6 years old. I take anything that makes a broad statement like "avoid the entire west side of town" with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area