U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM

831 posts, read 2,219,938 times

Advertisements

Any input or suggestions on where to look for a toy poodle breed puppy in Phoenix?
Rate this post positively

Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM

17,876 posts, read 41,068,161 times
Check to see if there is a local Poodle club in AZ, they can refer you to reputable breeders. There should be a circuit of dog shows in the Valley in Feb, which is a good time to go meet local breeders that would have pet quality puppies as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM

8,897 posts, read 15,383,703 times
I bet if you are patient enough you can find one that was dumped at a shelter and can save its life. The thought of supporting people that profit off of making dogs when countless animals are killed in Valley shelters daily makes my skin crawl. Yes, young, healthy ones are put down all the time too. I would put some feelers out with local rescue groups and shelters to contact you when they come across one, if you have your heart set on that breed. If not, I can point you in the direction of some small-breed rescues. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM

891 posts, read 2,152,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I bet if you are patient enough you can find one that was dumped at a shelter and can save its life. The thought of supporting people that profit off of making dogs when countless animals are killed in Valley shelters daily makes my skin crawl. Yes, young, healthy ones are put down all the time too. I would put some feelers out with local rescue groups and shelters to contact you when they come across one, if you have your heart set on that breed. If not, I can point you in the direction of some small-breed rescues. Good luck.
When dogs get sick (even just from kennel cough, not serious and easily curable), they are likely to be put down, regardless of age, to make room for healthier, more adoptable dogs. It's heartbreaking.

arizonapoodlerescue.org/ - Home

Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Of course that's an option, and a good one indeed. But, if the OP wants a puppy, with papers, for some reason, I'm just making sure that he doesn't end up with some puppy mill breeder. Not everyone who raises a litter of purebred puppies on occasion does so for the sole purpose of "profit". They love their breed, and care about producing genetically sound, healthy puppies with good temperaments, giving them the proper start, and finding the right home. That's not a cheap thing to do.

If a puppy or papers are not requirements, then a rescue is absolutely the place to start.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM

8,897 posts, read 15,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Check that out! Awesome. If more people knew the staggering number of great dogs that end up put to sleep because of overpopulation, I think less and less would turn to breeders.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM

891 posts, read 2,152,645 times
I came across a facebook page yesterday from a group in NYC that posts dogs in danger of being euthanized at a certain shelter to network and try to save them, and on just one day, there were 14 dogs scheduled to be euthanized. And that is at just one shelter on one day out of the year. It's so sad.

That said, if OP really wants a papered puppy, please try to support breeders who require their puppies to be spayed or neutered. Responsible breeders should not sell unaltered dogs to anyone, unless that person is also a breeder who performs genetic testing and is dedicated to the breed just as much as they are. The best breeders offer health guarantees, and require a vet visit within several days of bringing the puppy home for this to be valid. They will also agree to take back the dog at any time and for any reason if the home does not work out, and maybe even require this. They will also talk with you at length about the breed to make sure you are a good fit and you understand any common health problems that may arise. If they fail to do these things, I would not consider buying a puppy from them. There is little or no room for profit for anyone who breeds quality dogs, which is why many people irresponsibly breed dogs and give them to the first person to show up with $600. They don't care about the breed standard and definitely don't care about the health and quality of the puppies.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
I came across a facebook page yesterday from a group in NYC that posts dogs in danger of being euthanized at a certain shelter to network and try to save them, and on just one day, there were 14 dogs scheduled to be euthanized. And that is at just one shelter on one day out of the year. It's so sad.

That said, if OP really wants a papered puppy, please try to support breeders who require their puppies to be spayed or neutered. Responsible breeders should not sell unaltered dogs to anyone, unless that person is also a breeder who performs genetic testing and is dedicated to the breed just as much as they are. The best breeders offer health guarantees, and require a vet visit within several days of bringing the puppy home for this to be valid. They will also agree to take back the dog at any time and for any reason if the home does not work out, and maybe even require this. They will also talk with you at length about the breed to make sure you are a good fit and you understand any common health problems that may arise. If they fail to do these things, I would not consider buying a puppy from them. There is little or no room for profit for anyone who breeds quality dogs, which is why many people irresponsibly breed dogs and give them to the first person to show up with $600. They don't care about the breed standard and definitely don't care about the health and quality of the puppies.

Excellent post. Thank you for explaining what ethical breeders do in far more detail than I did.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,045,488 times
Quote:

For 15 years my life was showing and breeding the dog breed I loved. The quote above says it all!!
I'll just keep quiet LOL

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,527,278 times
Understand, asking where to get a puppy on a internet forum, craigslist, newspaper, pet store, etc. is likely to result in a puppy of poor quality from a breeder that is breeding to make money instead of breeding to produce better examples of the breed. What's the big deal you ask? These puppies are more likely to have temperament problems, health problems, etc.

If you NEED a pure breed puppy and not willing to take in a rescue or pound puppy and the issues that may come with it, I highly recommend you find a reputable breeder of that breed and pay more for a quality puppy. You can find reputable breeders through the associations for the breed that are out there.

We tried the backyard breeder once for a puppy and although it was significantly cheaper than a reputable breeder the puppy was a mess and eventually we had to get rid of it do to severe behavioral issues. We then found a reputable breeder of the same breed and got a puppy from them and what a dream she has been...none of the issues that the other dog had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area