Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I don't think you can. It's not Phoenix that opposes the height, but the FAA. Yes there have been taller structures proposed, but not at this location.
I agree. The FAA has the last word in the flight path area. That's why the Cardinals stadium is in Glendale, and not where they originally broke ground for it. If it's not significantly taller than Chase Tower, it loses a lot of appeal. They may have to move it farther north.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Meh...as a visitor I think it would have limited appeal. 400 feet is very small and with the hazy air in Phoenix
the view would be limited. The hiking vistas on the PHX mountains have more to offer...and they are FREE!
I agree, the design is ridiculous (it looks like the business end of a drilling rig) and you already get a better view of the same stuff from the top of S. Mountain.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Doesn't seem to be much (or any) love for "The Pin" here so far. I think it's pretty cool, and would be a major landmark for Phoenix. Not everyone can hike to the top of a mountain to get a similar view. I think it would be an instant tourist destination and help add some additional credibility to the growth of downtown. I think it would be better if it was taller, but as mentioned there are FAA restrictions. There is a large empty lot at the corner of Central and McDowell, I wonder if that would be a better location? Seems like that far North probably has little or no high restrictions, but the big downside would be it is a litte outside of the downtown core.

I'm sure this is a long way from being a reality, but I think it would be a cool place to take visitors and the occasional dinner(assuming they have a restaurant up there).

Old 12-20-2012, 10:12 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Doesn't seem to be much (or any) love for "The Pin" here so far. I think it's pretty cool, and would be a major landmark for Phoenix. Not everyone can hike to the top of a mountain to get a similar view. I think it would be an instant tourist destination and help add some additional credibility to the growth of downtown. I think it would be better if it was taller, but as mentioned there are FAA restrictions. There is a large empty lot at the corner of Central and McDowell, I wonder if that would be a better location? Seems like that far North probably has little or no high restrictions, but the big downside would be it is a litte outside of the downtown core.

I'm sure this is a long way from being a reality, but I think it would be a cool place to take visitors and the occasional dinner(assuming they have a restaurant up there).

You can drive to the top of South Mountain.......on a weekday it's a blast in a hot sports car

Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
You can drive to the top of South Mountain.......on a weekday it's a blast in a hot sports car
Yep. You should check out the YouTube video of the idiot kid that crashed his M3 on his way up Sourh Mountain.

You can drive up there during the day, not at night. For me, a big part of this would be the ability to go up there at night and see the twinkling lights of the entire Valley. How many millions of visitors do we have here each year? I think there is a pretty good market for a major attraction such as this.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I agree, the design is ridiculous (it looks like the business end of a drilling rig) and you already get a better view of the same stuff from the top of S. Mountain.
All I've seen in this thread is 'better views from the mountains...etc..etc..'. That may be true but the people that will get the most use out of this likely do not have access nor the time to go hike or drive up there. The mass amount of convention attendees downtown are who will fill this thing up. They're in town for a day or two...not transportation and staying downtown. This will be a must see for most of them. Same with sporting event nights. Plenty of people will go up and check out the city lights before a game. As a local I'd likely go check it out once and maybe again when a friend comes in town. I can guarantee you locals are not the target group for this.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I really don't think that will be the case - conventions definitely aren't limited to downtown and many who come here for such things do get cars ....... with all the resorts in town they draw a lot of the pie

Locals definitely wont be the target - but downtown phoenix still isn't even the largest local draw - let alone for visitors

Design/marketing may draw more people into it than a plain observation tower/deck .... but downtown has a revolving restaurant as it is that doesn't cost anything to go up and see, they had an observation deck in chase tower than no one really cared to keep going and the AZ club had a space that could have easily have been converted once they closed shop and nothing

This is basically a new design on something like the reunion tower in dallas - just shorter

I think it could have some limited hope - but honestly I'd rather see something more unique use the space

Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
All I've seen in this thread is 'better views from the mountains...etc..etc..'. That may be true but the people that will get the most use out of this likely do not have access nor the time to go hike or drive up there. The mass amount of convention attendees downtown are who will fill this thing up. They're in town for a day or two...not transportation and staying downtown. This will be a must see for most of them. Same with sporting event nights. Plenty of people will go up and check out the city lights before a game. As a local I'd likely go check it out once and maybe again when a friend comes in town. I can guarantee you locals are not the target group for this.
I don't agree with your assessment, but you never know. Why did they have to make it so ugly though?

If that thing is built it will be an eyesore that we will have to live with forever.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM

152 posts, read 298,590 times
I think its a good idea and gives the downtown area a great start toward establishing an identity. Yes people can hike to get a great view, but there is nothing wrong with more options... New York didnt say 'why build the statue of liberty when we already have the empire state building.'

As far as the look, it will take most people some getting used to with time like with anything different and new. I really like the outside the box thinking though... and remember many iconic structures were not popular at first (space needle, st louis arch, eiffel tower)

Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 AM

278 posts, read 546,295 times
I think this is a GREAT idea for phoenix. I live minutes from the Empire state building and other observation decks in NYC and ive never been to any but i bet ill goto this one lol I only wish they would make it taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area