Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 49,187 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old college graduate moving to Phoenix this January with my bf, I would like to rent either a condo or apartment in Phoenix where I can walk to resturaunts, shopping, museums, parks etc. I was hoping someone could help with some names of apartment / condo complexs that are right in the middle of the excitment, so that I can begin my search. Thanks

Last edited by Compass28; 10-16-2007 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
For the most part, Phoenix is a driving city rather than a walking city, so you won't find any one place that offers everything you mention within walking distance. Museums tend to cluster in Central Phoenix; shopping is most abundant in Scottsdale; recreation options are located near Downtown Tempe, etc. Different neighborhoods have their specialities, but no one location has it all.

The most important information, however, was not in your original post: Where will you be working? None of the attractions mentioned above will be attractive if you have an unbearable commute.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

I am not sure yet where I will be working, I am in the Tourism Industry, however my boyfriend will be working on North 3rd Street in Phoenix. I am mainly looking to rent in a location where I can walk to the market, cafes and some resturaunts, I was looking at the location of Biltmore District but I am open to any suggestions also, the names of complex's would help as well.
Thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 04:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass28 View Post
I am not sure yet where I will be working, I am in the Tourism Industry, however my boyfriend will be working on North 3rd Street in Phoenix. I am mainly looking to rent in a location where I can walk to the market, cafes and some resturaunts, I was looking at the location of Biltmore District but I am open to any suggestions also, the names of complex's would help as well.
Thanks
The number of places in the Phoenix metro that are walkable to any of the above, let alone all of them, is few in far between. The Biltmore area may be one of the few, although your pickings are slim and far between. Unfortunately, Phoenix is not a walkable city.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM

65 posts, read 87,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
The number of places in the Phoenix metro that are walkable to any of the above, let alone all of them, is few in far between. The Biltmore area may be one of the few, although your pickings are slim and far between. Unfortunately, Phoenix is not a walkable city.
You guys would be good living in tempe, there is alot to do around there, espically around the college, but it is a little pricey.

I live in north phoenix/scottsdale near Tatum and Bell, and I feel this is the perfect loaction, cheap rent, lots of shopping near by, everything I need is within walking distance.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass28 View Post
Thanks
Biltmore is very nice if want to be near upscale shopping and the mountains. It's a good area, but you might also want to consider the Roosevelt and Evans-Churchill areas at the north end of Downtown Phoenix. North 3rd St. runs about four miles from Washington Street up to Indian School Road and passes through this neighborhood on the way. If your boyfriend's office is not within walking distance, it will be a short drive or reachable via a direct bus line or light rail when service starts in 14 months.

This part of Downtown varies from block to block. There are some vacant lots, but there are also some renovated buildings that house some of the city's most appealing independent restaurants and bars (Fate, the Roosevelt, etc.). There's no supermarket there, but there is a weekly farmer's market in the area.

The central location will help your commute since if you end up working in an outlying suburb, you'll be headed in the opposite direction relative to the heavy traffic. If you choose this area, you might want to look into the Roosevelt Square Apartments on Portland Street. Still, I'd suggest not signing any leases until you know where you are working.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 PM

94 posts, read 349,479 times
Default Price Range...

What is your price range? There are some condos for rent downtown but most are $2000 and up. You could get a nice house in a historic district for cheaper than that. Many of the apartment complexs were converted to condos when the market was out of control. If your bf is working on 3rd st though, I think downtown would be a good choice. There is a Safeway at 3rd st/McDowell and a little market at 7th Ave/McDowell. All of the museums are near here and there are a lot of good restaurants and bars. Also, check Craigslist and put downtown in your search as there are many smaller, older complexs that have been renovated and are quite nice.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Are price range would be about $1,000 give or take a month.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
I have a place on N 32nd Street for $675.00 a month you pay for utilities and it has 2 bedrooms 1 bath, great for single person. If you haven't found a place yet contact me.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:16 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
You will be here in January, after the lightrail begins operation. In that case you would probably like Tempe, downtown/midtown/uptown Phoenix or Old Town Scottsdale (not connected to lightrail). I think you'd probably like the central corridor of Phoenix more, however. Especially after Dec. 27th when lightrail begins to operate. These are some apartments, that are very nice, which have light rail stations right next to them or within walking distance; Roosevelt Square, The Pavilions, Lexington on Central, Emporium Central, The Met, Camden, Alta (opening in a few months). You also should look at apartment buildings downtown that do not have names but are old historic buildings that are renting. Many are beautifully remodeled. There are condo buildings and towers that also rent. The Orpheum Lofts, The Fillmore, Fontonelle, Centerpoint (new tower), etc. There are many options and you will find a lot of prices within $1100 to $2200 range. Light rail will connect you to SuperTarget (if you choose to head there to shop) to all the Museums on Central Ave. and in downtown. It will also connect you to the museums and performing arts centers in Tempe as well. There are numerous coffee shops, deli's, restaurants along the line; too many to list.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 09-08-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area