Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment earlier this month with a bed bug issue (not known before I moved in). Luckily the place is not infested and is being treated by a local extermination company. The downside is one of the bugs hitched a ride in my laundry basket and now my poor friend who took me in is having an issue. After the fact we learned the do's and don'ts of bed bugs. In less than one week my friend woke up with bites. I lived at her place for 18 months prior and there was no bug issue of any kind. The landlord at the apartment went into action quickly and brought in an exterminator but I'm stuck taking care of my friends house.

There's light at the end of the tunnel but it's still been an expensive and mentally draining 2 weeks. I am bringing this to C-D because both exterminators (treating my apartment & friends home) said bed bugs are an "epidemic" in Phoenix. They are everywhere: apartment buildings, homes, mattress stores, schools, libraries and movie theaters. You can get them on the light rail, bus or cab. Literally anywhere. Travelers, people that collect used furniture and college students that stay in dorms are ideal people for bed bugs to hitch rides from. They come home with you and can lead to an infestation within a year if you don't get on top of the issue. The guy treating my apartment had recently completed treatment at an upscale home in Scottsdale. The owner returned from a trip to the Waldorf Astoria in New York City with bed bugs. They do not discriminate. They do not care how much money you have. They do not care how clean or dirty you are. Equal opportunity pests.

Given what the exterminators said, please check yourself out. Don't assume that itchy bite is from a mosquito. If you've traveled recently (especially to NYC) launder your clothes in hot water and put in the drier on the highest setting and check all folds in your luggage. The bed bugs look similar to apple seeds. They are also hard to kill (because they lay eggs quickly and heat exceeding 120 degrees is the only way to kill the eggs directly) so it takes a bit longer to rid the problem.

In short, check your things. One website I read stated that half of all residences in Phoenix could have an active case of bed bugs within a decade if the cases grow as much as they have been. The key is to catch the problem before you have a proper infestation (that's the point where your mattress and possibly your furniture becomes garbage).

If you will be traveling or apartment hunting you can use the following website to see if the hotel/apartment has bed bug reports.

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Here's to a bed bug free 2013 to everyone in Phoenix and beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Bondurant, I nominate you for the "Most Informative Poster" contest" !! [I'm not a judge, just joking, but Phoenix deserves a winner!]

Yes, this is a huge problem. One of the guys at work had a flier distributed to him at his apt complex. Now, this guy is a clean/neat freak. He checked his apt after he got the flier and sure enough, he had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: