Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

I recommend the following since this question gets asked often

18-22 - Tempe/Mill Avenue
23-34 - Scottsdale Old Town
34 + - Biltmore/Midtown/Downtown

If you are 25, you would not like Mill since you will feel out of place with all of the college kids running around. Scottsdale is ideal for the post college crowd who is a little more mature, and professional. For people in their mid-30's to mid-40's, I think Biltmore/Camelback corridor and even Midtown is ideal for you in that you are financially more secure and are past the clubbing scene and want something a little quieter.

For old folks like myself (mid-40's to mid-50's) I recommend hotels like the Montelucia, Sanctuary and resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM

120 posts, read 496,380 times
We are generally more into the club/top 40 music scene so I don't know if Scottsdale will seem too old for that or what? Tempe is where the University is located right?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay By The Phone View Post
We are generally more into the club/top 40 music scene so I don't know if Scottsdale will seem too old for that or what? Tempe is where the University is located right?
Yeah ASU is in Tempe. There are still plenty of places that play that type of music in Scottsdale: Firehouse, American Junkie, Dollhouse/Smashboxx, and Spanish Fly to name a few.

I prefer Mill for happy hour but for later at night it's way too ratchet with many more annoying people and creepers. People in Old Town seem friendlier and you don't see nearly as many drunks falling over and making fools out of themselves as you do on Mill.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the club names fennec2009.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
We are generally more into the club/top 40 music scene so I don't know if Scottsdale will seem too old for that or what?
Scottsdale has what you're looking for, but I think Tempe might have more variety. I remember one of my younger friends who used to post here went to a club called Axis Radius in downtown Scottsdale every so often, which I understand plays top 40, dance, electronic, and alternative. Scottsdale tends to attract more of an upscale crowd than Tempe, but the age range is pretty varied. You'll see lots of 20 somethings mixing in with the somewhat older crowds in Scottsdale. Tempe is more geared for the college age types.

You can actually try out Scottsdale, Tempe, and possibly certain parts of Phoenix depending on what you're interested in. Downtown Phoenix doesn't have a very good bar or club scene, and it's mostly a business hub during a standard weekday. When everybody goes home, it's pretty much dead except when there are concerts or Suns games.

You didn't mention transportation. Will you be driving, taking taxis, transit, or walking? You can still stay at a hotel in downtown Phoenix, but take the light rail directly into Tempe where you can walk to just about anything. Getting to downtown Scottsdale from downtown Phoenix or Tempe isn't as convenient since the light rail doesn't go to Scottsdale, but you can always get a taxi ride or a bus if driving isn't an option.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

357 posts, read 711,868 times
Fennec2009 is spot on with the names of clubs. Others include Wild Knight, Epiq, Mint, the W poolside bar (open in winter, more of an outdoor club). I don't go to any of these clubs, I do more dive bars in the area but know these are all popular and have friends that go to them. Many have dress codes and will attract what you'll learn is referred to as a "Scottsdale crowd". Just a really stereotypical 30k millionaire type crowd.

AZRiverFan was spot on IMO with what the age ranges different areas draw. Except I like the Arcadia/Biltmore area and am 25. It does skew older but still a large range of ages.

AxisRadius is closed and has been for awhile.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Alright so I guess Tempe would be better. My buddies and I usually prefer to be around the College crowed. We would be taking taxi's to get to and from the bars so would you recommend getting a hotel downtown Phoenix and cabbing it to Tempe for the bars or stay in Scottsdale?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Fennec2009 is spot on with the names of clubs. Others include Wild Knight, Epiq, Mint, the W poolside bar (open in winter, more of an outdoor club). I don't go to any of these clubs, I do more dive bars in the area but know these are all popular and have friends that go to them. Many have dress codes and will attract what you'll learn is referred to as a "Scottsdale crowd". Just a really stereotypical 30k millionaire type crowd.

AZRiverFan was spot on IMO with what the age ranges different areas draw. Except I like the Arcadia/Biltmore area and am 25. It does skew older but still a large range of ages.

AxisRadius is closed and has been for awhile.
Anyone know why? I was there about three years ago and that place went off! Never seen such a huge nightclub before. Packed with people too. Definitely a good place to be a single guy.... what best compares to it now in Scottsdale?

Mid-twenties myself and moving to the area soon. Need to know this stuff .

Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Anyone know why? I was there about three years ago and that place went off! Never seen such a huge nightclub before. Packed with people too. Definitely a good place to be a single guy.... what best compares to it now in Scottsdale?

Mid-twenties myself and moving to the area soon. Need to know this stuff .
I'm pretty sure Axis is still open...I vaguely remember going there a couple months ago though I was pretty drunk so maybe not! They did tear down several clubs to make way for the new Triyar beach club but I don't think Axis was one of them. I know Suede and Myst got razed.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Alright so I guess Tempe would be better. My buddies and I usually prefer to be around the College crowed. We would be taking taxi's to get to and from the bars so would you recommend getting a hotel downtown Phoenix and cabbing it to Tempe for the bars or stay in Scottsdale?
Depends on your budget. Scottsdale tends to be more expensive, but you could probably find some reasonably priced hotels. You might even stay at a hotel around the Mill Avenue district in Tempe, but the selection there is more limited than Scottsdale or downtown Phoenix. If it were me, I'd stay in Scottsdale just because of the hotel selection being better, and plenty of bars & clubs that might be suitable for the younger crowd ... even though they might not be college age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area