Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM

284 posts, read 698,529 times

Advertisements

My medical insurance only pays for immunizations at the doctors office. My prescription insurance pays for immunizations wherever my prescription insurance is accepted (Safeway, Fry's, not WalGreens). I got my shingles shot at Safeway. The one I went to (Higley and Baseline) had a private room for administering immunizations, and the pharmacist covered all the risks before administering it. I felt that he was very professional and I was well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

595 posts, read 1,251,093 times
Another correction Sam's Club is now quoting 181 and Costco is quoting 197.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:20 PM

595 posts, read 1,251,093 times
Default JUst tell the door people you're going for pharmacy only

hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
How do you get into Costco without showing the membership card?????

Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,012,682 times
I read on line that the PCP who does your yearly check up must offer the Shingles thing for free. This is Medicare info, so won't apply to all you youngsters. I haven't had that yearly check yet so I will do it then (next week).

Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM

8,237 posts, read 8,576,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I had shingles when I was 43 years old. I have to admit that it was one of the more unpleasant weeks of my life. I was recuperating from surgery, my back was killing me, and a bout of shingles. It was pretty unpleasant.

If you have shingles and are using capsasin cream, make sure your skin is bone dry before applying it.

My MD was less than enthusiastic about giving me the shingles vaccine. He did not really feel that the vaccine was effective and it was costly.
Many say if you had shingles you most likely won't get it again. I don't know how true it is but I don't know anyone that has had them twice. But at urgent care they said if I got them again it would be in the same place.

My capsasin came in a roll on thing with a ball like deodorant. Easy to apply. Only $8 OTC. I always put it on after a shower. Started working the first day.

Urgent Care never mentioned the vaccine. I don't know anyone that had shingles that gets the shot. They also told me it usually comes out 50 to 60 years after chicken pox. That was about the time for me. I am a little surprised about you and the other posters that got them when you were young.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM

16,370 posts, read 30,137,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many say if you had shingles you most likely won't get it again. I don't know how true it is but I don't know anyone that has had them twice. But at urgent care they said if I got them again it would be in the same place.

My capsasin came in a roll on thing with a ball like deodorant. Easy to apply. Only $8 OTC. I always put it on after a shower. Started working the first day.

Urgent Care never mentioned the vaccine. I don't know anyone that had shingles that gets the shot. They also told me it usually comes out 50 to 60 years after chicken pox. That was about the time for me. I am a little surprised about you and the other posters that got them when you were young.

1) You can get shingles frequently. It plagued my grandmother a number of times in her last five years. They were not pleasant.

2) Applying the capsasin cream is easy. However, if you put it on skin that is nit completely dry, your skin begins to burn, much like if you bit into a habanero pepper. It is an incredible pain.

3) Walgreens and CVS were advertising the shingles vaccine on all their ads. I asked the doctor about it during one of my physicals.

Shingles occurs when your body in under a great deal of stress. At the time, I was recovering from major surgery and was having some pretty bad back issues.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
When I had my shingles shot my armed swelled up so badly that I went to the clinic at the grocery store. The nurse said that was not unusual. Okay. She then told me that she had had shingles shots 3 times...and had shingles 3 times (not close to the time of the shots) despite the shots. Can't verify whether or not that is accurate.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,244,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That isn't true. You can experience a recurrence of shingles. And it does not have to occur in the same place.

Quote:
Capsaicin will do little for this. This is neuropathic pain. Typically most patients will require neuroleptic like gabapentin to ease this pain.

Quote:
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends zoster vaccine whether or not the patient has a history of zoster. I personally don't know any physician who would not administer the shingles vaccine in a person with a history of zoster unless they had contraindications to receiving it. You have to be careful about heeding advice from urgent care facilities. Many of the providers are not physicians and do not have the same level of training and education as board certified internal medicine or family medicine physicians.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...t-schedule.pdf.

But one should make an appointment with their doctor prior to receiving a shingles vaccine. It is a live vaccine and is not indicated in everyone particularly some individuals who are immunocompromised.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 541 times
Default Shingles Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Canada
You had to pay $250 to BC/BS first and then they mailed it back to you minus your co-pay! NO shingles shot is free!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area