Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,525 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late fifties, both retired, with a daughter who is currently a freshman in high school. We currently live in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN. Our daughter is strongly pushing the idea of a temporary relocation (1 year) for some adventure and reinvention, etc. At first she was pushing Portland, OR but since our family all has issues with depression and we hear that can be a depressing place to live we decided against. Now she's discovered Chandler, AZ. What are the pros and cons of this place and would you recommend doing this? My daughter and I are for it, its my husband that needs the convincing. Do you think this would be an okay thing to do? She is very outgoing and social and probably wouldn't have a very hard time fitting in, we are just worried about her rational. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Chandler's a wonderful place with a lot to offer ALL age groups. I've never been to MN, so I can't compare the two for you. I can tell you the climate (read: HEAT) differences will be dramatic.

But I do think it's a bit unusual to be letting a high school freshman make decisions like this. . .

I'd also point out that moving to a place where the entire family knows no one, has no social structure, no friends, etc. can be very lonely. It's hard work to make a life in a new place - for you and your husband, as well as your daughter. If the family is inclined to depression, the loneliness and feelings of disconnection could be a serious problem.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Is it just for one year, or possibly longer? If you haven't been here before. What about a visit to look things over and get a feel for the area. I'm doing the one year trial run myself here. I arrived in Sept and I won't be here next winter. Which is fine since it was on a trial basis. I'm newly retired and just a little older. I just turned 63.

I have to agree with jkgourmet. Moving to a far off new place is very difficult. It seems a lot more difficult at our age than at least for me when I was younger. I have lived all over in my life including several countries. This Phoenix area has proven to be the most difficult. I know the reasons at least for me, but I don't know how others adjust to a place like this. It would be an individual experience as to how one adjusts. For me I find I'm use to so much structure where I live. An actual sense of place and community and actual neighbors, that are not coming and going by the month. I'm use to a more mixed society than I am getting here. More than anything I'm not use to being sick from allergies and sinus infections, several in just these 5 months. So thankfully I knew to rent here for this year in case I didn't take to this environment. Seems way to many people move here and immediately buy. I don't recommend that especially in a very transient environment like Phoenix. Just way to unstable.

So I would say to end this. Depending on what you are use to and what is important to you in a place to live. Phoenix may or may not prove appealing to you. I do think when one has no past, no family, no friends. Combine that with the type city and area Metro Phoenix is. Sprawled out with no real sense of community to much of it. Neighbors not interacting the way you might be use to. Or at all. Driving miles on end trying to find places to socialized can take its toll. Its one thing when your 30 but when your our ages, it gets impractical and overwhelming. i'm finding its not a healthy environment to live socially or for me medically either. Being told to attend this church or this club and driving miles to get there has gotten old. I'm not a church goer to begin with, and am finding chuch seems to have a lot of meaning to retirees here. You may or may not feel out of place. I do. So take it slow and really think about what you need in life and what you don't.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renckens15 View Post
My husband and I are in our late fifties, both retired, with a daughter who is currently a freshman in high school. We currently live in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN. Our daughter is strongly pushing the idea of a temporary relocation (1 year) for some adventure and reinvention, etc. At first she was pushing Portland, OR but since our family all has issues with depression and we hear that can be a depressing place to live we decided against. Now she's discovered Chandler, AZ. What are the pros and cons of this place and would you recommend doing this? My daughter and I are for it, its my husband that needs the convincing. Do you think this would be an okay thing to do? She is very outgoing and social and probably wouldn't have a very hard time fitting in, we are just worried about her rational. Thoughts?
I just don't understand how some people make through life. Are these serious questions? Your high school freshman (probably 14 or 15?) is recommending a move for 1 year to AZ, and you want to know from people reading this if that is a good idea?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Living elsewhere for a year would be very expensive. Plus, why move for a year? Why doesn't your daughter wait until she's graduated high school?

To answer your question, no I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I agree with the above posters, and would ask you to seriously consider what it is that your daughter doesn't like about her life there, that is precipitating this now. Does she have friends there? Is she doing well in school? What seems to be the problem that she would want to give up her whole life to move someplace strange, for a year?? Most kids in high school have a close circle of peers that they would never want to leave, for love or money. Maybe she needs some counseling to determine her motives for this wish. And maybe you ought to go along with her, to try to understand why you would even consider doing this. JMHO

Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
I say "what's wrong with a little adventure?" These people are retired and the "freshman" isn't making the decision. That's why the parents are asking for advice on here so they, the parents can decide if it would be a good thing for the family. I see nothing wrong with that at all.
As we grow older, we tend to get set in our ways, get into the rut, doing the same thing, the same way, at the same time. Why not try a little adventure if they can comfortably afford it. Coming from Minnesota, this place certainly would be an adventure. Who are we to say they wouldn't like it.
In my case, I moved from Oregon to here strictly to do something different and it has worked out beyond my wildest dreams for me, thank you very much. I don't know if the OP will like it here or not. Isn't that what an adventure is all about? Even things that don't work out the way we though are, many times, fondly remembered.
I can say this. These people show a lot of thought realizing that Portland Oregon would not be a good choice for them. They are absolutely correct in thinking that they may suffer depression there. 300+ days of cloudy weather. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a real problem when you don't see the sun for that long.
I say "go for it" if it's right for you although a short visit might be in order as well.
Chandler is a wonderful community and Arizona is an absolutely beautiful state.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
At the very most, wait until school/summer vacation, take a trip, just you and your daughter and check the place out for a long weekend or so. If she falls in love with it, look at colleges out there. It sounds like it would do the two of you good, and give your husband a much needed break from the two of you. It's a win/win. I agree with the previous posters in that letting a child make life decisions for two adults is utterly ridiculous.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Chandler for an adventure? I do not understand. Chandler is your typical suburban community of Safeways, Walmarts and Wendys. She will likely attend a typical suburban high school with the same football games, work a part time job at the same retail outlet and hang out with the same high schoolers that you have in MN. The only difference will be the weather.

Why not a adventure to Australia, Mexico, Europe or even Hawaii?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Chandler seems a bit obscure. I agree with a change of pace and the valley is a great place for that, but why did she zero in on Chandler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area