Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times

Advertisements

I've been a sports fan since the 1970's. While I still root for my teams from back East, I certainly have a vested interest in seeing the local teams succeed here. I am aware of the history of the pro sports teams here and I cannot think of a WORSE year than 2013 when it comes to the immediate prospects of our 4 teams. I will breakdown how much has changed since I moved here exactly a year ago.

1) The Cardinals. Won a bunch of games to finish 2011 which create playoff expectations in 2012. We know how that went. Unfortunately, I still do not believe they have bottomed out and 2013 will be worse given the strides made amongst the other NFC West teams.

2) The D'Backs. Everyone at my job was stoked for 2012 after an unexpected playoff appearance in 2011. Very oh hum season and 2013 looks worse. No star power along with the fact that our payroll cannot compete with LA and SF. Plus, the Padres are becoming players since they have an ownership group that spent $800 mil to buy the team. I see the D'Backs being a 75 win team at best in 2013.

3) The Suns. Steve Nash still brought entertainment when I moved here. They have no star power or marketability now and Stub Hub is practically giving away seats for free.

4) The Coyotes. The ONE TEAM of the 4 I felt had immediate playoff prospects. Mike Smith looked rather average even prior to his recent injury. Losing Ray Whitney hurt the grit and chemistry I felt helped us overachieve in 2012. I do not see this team making the playoffs.

Fortunately, plenty of wonderful diversions not sports related living here that supersedes what is arguably the worst era for Phoenix pro sports teams going back to the 1970's. I really can't think of a worse era for local pro sports. The 70's and 80's Suns had Alvin Adams and were atleast relevant in the 80's despite the Lakers getting all the attention. The Cardinals were bad here until 1998, but the Suns were at their peak in the 1990's to negate the Cards. Obviously the D'Backs will always be remembered for 2001 along with their very competitve track record during the Colangelo years.The Cards had their run after the D'Backs became spotty. Now we are in 2013 and I see no optimism on the horizon for ANY of our 4 teams.

Last edited by magnum0417; 01-27-2013 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM

784 posts, read 922,700 times
I think the Cardinals made a mistake in firing their head coach...how do you make the coach responsible for wins and loses when you don't give him a decent QB.

The Suns need to go out and get some top talent...the only reason to watch them play now is to see the stars on the visiting teams...but at $5.00 a ticket you do get what you pay for...lol

Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
One bad year for the Cardinals and Suns and people think it's Doomsday.

The Coyotes made the playoffs 2 years in a row.

The Diamondbacks put in a few good seasons.

The Suns are dipping for the first time in decades. This happens. A sports franchise is like an economy. There are ups and downs along the way.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM

33 posts, read 68,877 times
I just think it's great that we have NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL teams all in our backyards. Regardless of how they've been playing, I'll take crappy over no teams at all.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I am a little hopeful for the Cardinals this year. They do have talent and we all expected them to do better than they did. Without the injuries and with a new coach there is a glimmer of hope. We'll have to see what they do in FA and the draft. On the other hand, the NFC west of today is not the NFC west of a couple years back. It will be a real challenge to win the conference.

The rest of the teams, yeah, it's just dismal.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM

56 posts, read 140,233 times
wasn't the ex coach who wanted Kolb as the QB? Kolb was a loser with the Eagles and we got him ? i saw somewhere that the Cardinals would draft a QB from WV . any opinions on that ?
as for the Suns being what they are i blame the management . they got rid of all our best players . one a year for the last six years . now the teams is on par with a college team .
D'backs i still have hope for . i am not an expert but IMO getting Upton traded was a big improvement for the future . after Young returned from his injury he was not the same player he was before the injury and trading him was a plus .
the Coyotes ! not a whole lot to say about them that has not bees said already . to call then "Yotes " is plain stupid . kind of a childish misnamer !

I am glad that Steve Nash got out of Phoenix . he deserved a better team to play with !

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I know some of you have lived here way longer than me and know your stuff.

As far as the Cardinals go, this is looking like a bad year for QB's in the Draft. I didn't watch the Senior Bowl but experts said the QB's were very underwhelming. It won't be a flashy pick but the Cards need to draft the best Offensive Lineman available with their first pick. As far as QB goes, they need to move on from the fragile Kolb. Matt Flynn and Alex Smith are upgrades from Kolb but teams don't like to trade within the division so we will see. If the two are waived, than we should be prepared to show either of them some money.

Bondurant and others suggesting I am too hard on the teams , I am not some Jude LaCava that tries to put lipstick on a pig. I feel the tv media is too soft and laid back as far as truly calling out ineptitude. Ron Wolfley on 620 and the locals guys on 910 are fair and hold accountability but the tv faces like Jude are soft in how they sugarcoat ineptitude.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChicagoan View Post
I just think it's great that we have NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL teams all in our backyards. Regardless of how they've been playing, I'll take crappy over no teams at all.
I'd agree with you

I spent a good part of my life in the Twin Cities, We lost our Basketball to LA, Hockey to Dallas,
Vikings lost four Super Bowls but the Twins did win a couple of World Series

You do get what you pay for

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
I follow the local sports scene even when my loyalties are with other teams. Make no mistake, the Cards are in full rebuild mode. Already over the NFL cap for next year with a whopping 19 free agents of their own. No QB and poor offensive line. The new coach forced out the best coach left (Horton).

here is an article written by cards fan detailing the immediate future

Arizona Cardinals: A Losing Season & New Coaches Mean Changes in the Desert?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I follow the local sports scene even when my loyalties are with other teams. Make no mistake, the Cards are in full rebuild mode. Already over the NFL cap for next year with a whopping 19 free agents of their own. No QB and poor offensive line. The new coach forced out the best coach left (Horton).

here is an article written by cards fan detailing the immediate future

Arizona Cardinals: A Losing Season & New Coaches Mean Changes in the Desert?
Ray Horton rightfully felt slapped in the face. Much like Thunder Dan Majerle did when he was passed over for Lindsay Hunter despite Lindsay not being a part of the Suns as Dan was for many years on the coaching staff.

Bruce Arians is a good offensive mind. However, that Bowles from Philly was god awful as a Defensive Coordinator last year. He made Juan Castillo look like a genius. The strength of the team was defense and that has been messed up since Bowles has nothing on Horton. Back to Arians. Bill Walsh and Tom Brady would have issues behind that O Line. Unless the O Line magically becomes solid overnight, highly doubtful, all the good offensive ideas in Arians mind won't matter if the QB is rushed every snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area