Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 68,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaz View Post
I do mean close minded. Maybe not so much with the younger crowd but definitely with the older generation.
I'm sorry but the concept of anyone being gay simply freaks most of those folks out. It's an older generation thing.

And I know a lot of older folks in this community.

I agree with SpeedyAZ. You will not encounter blatant prejudice. Just talk behind your back. And to me...prejudice is prejudice.......

Just my two cents. Why not rent for awhile and see what you think?
We've been renting in Scottsdale since we moved here and are now ready to buy. I'm drawn to the views and the bang for your buck in FH but it sounds like it may not be the best fit. I really like this forum! Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChicagoan View Post
I'm sure up by the school but do you think that holds true as you get further south and east and closer to Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert?
In my opinion the entire city of Tempe is much more open minded/liberal than the majority of the rest of the valley.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM

36 posts, read 72,611 times
I hope that I am not the cause for you not moving to Fountain Hills. I am just a very open minded person that has lived here for a long time. What I say has been my honest experience living here.

I hope that you find a great place to live.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM

33 posts, read 68,920 times
Quote:
I hope that I am not the cause for you not moving to Fountain Hills. I am just a very open minded person that has lived here for a long time. What I say has been my honest experience living here.

I hope that you find a great place to live.
We'll still check out the area a bit more and will have dinner out there to get a feel for the "vibe". I really do appreciate your insight though and will take it into consideration. Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Many Democrats seem to equate Conservatives with closed-minded bible-thumpers, even though they are not at all synonymous. From my experiences, most Conservatives in Arizona are better described as fiscally conservative, socially live-and-let-live, and believe in limited government power and rule of law as defined in the Constititon. Because of the live-and-let-live attitude, I don't think you would have issues in most areas - whether they lean left or right.

A friend of mine lives in FH. He and his DP, (both in their early 50's), have hosted quite a few dinner parties that DH and I have attended. There are always several gay couples there. I don't know if any/most of them also live in FH or if they drive over just to visit, (I do know one couple is in far N. Scottsdale), but I do know my friend loves living there.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Just remember, it takes awhile to get a real feel for any community. I would still rent here for a period of time. I know it's a hassle but you may never encounter anything negative and really like it here. You guys are still young. You will have plenty of time to find a house. Plus you will get to see all of the different neighborhoods.

It would be a shame to miss out on a place where you really want to live.

Believe me, I have made a couple of mistakes by not renting for awhile to see if I truly like an area.
Once you buy, you are trapped.

Just some words of wisdom from a 50 something....... :-)

Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaz;27966063[B
]I do mean close minded. Maybe not so much with the younger crowd but definitely with the older generation.[/b]
I'm sorry but the concept of anyone being gay simply freaks most of those folks out. It's an older generation thing.

And I know a lot of older folks in this community.

I agree with SpeedyAZ. You will not encounter blatant prejudice. Just talk behind your back. And to me...prejudice is prejudice.......

Just my two cents. Why not rent for awhile and see what you think?
Sorry, but I disagree.

We recently purchased a retirement home in a small community, meaning it's "older generation" who lives here. The only thing I've noticed that could be interpreted as something negative would be a conversation like this:

"Oh, which house just sold?"

"They one that was for sale next door to the gay couple."

Other than not being very PC in the description, nobody really cares.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
have been here for 38 years, since childhood, and Fountain Hills, to me, has always just seemed like a very large housing development with a variety of (sorry) Scottsdale wannabes, retired folks, commuters, and various and sundry families....just my impression as a long-time resident....it is very pretty out there, quiet, low density, and certainly desirable...maybe jiminaz can comment on how well neighbors know each other....

is the reason you want to go out there just because of the scenery?....

as Chey said, I think the "conservative" rep here in Az is more about libertarian, hands-off, individual freedom stuff....remember Arizona is the only state that had a popular vote to approve an MLK Day...admittedly, the state also voted to amend the constitution to a man-and-woman marriage thing, too....many, many types here in the valley as we have so many transplants from all over.....

do you have some local friends (gay couples) who can suggest what they are doing?....

Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM

For the record CheyDee....I never used the term Bible Thumpers. I can also say that that most Republicans think that liberals are all lazy do nothings living in sin. See....we can go round and round with this political stereotyping crap.I was just sharing my experience of living in this area.

And I have heard more than my share of negative remarks about gays from your fiscally responsible Republicans living here in town.

And no, I don't not feel like having a political fight with you about this. Just don't try to put words in my mouth.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
For the record CheyDee....I never used the term Bible Thumpers. I can also say that that most Republicans think that liberals are all lazy do nothings living in sin. See....we can go round and round with this political stereotyping crap.I was just sharing my experience of living in this area.

And I have heard more than my share of negative remarks about gays from your fiscally responsible Republicans living here in town.

And no, I don't not feel like having a political fight with you about this. Just don't try to put words in my mouth.
Whoa! Where did I write that you said they are bible-thumpers?

I spoke about my experiences and interpretations, just as you spoke about yours. Many Democrats do indeed equate Arizona Conservatives as similar in type to many found in the bible-belt; I posted to say that while some may be, since I don't pretend to know everyone, the ones I have met are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area