Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,735 times

Advertisements

I recently left the North Shore of Boston for the Valley of the Sun. I have done a lot of research before moving and I found North Scottsdale (zip 85260) to be the best fit for me and my situation. Scottsdale has everything I need within a short drive. Downtown Scottsdale and Mill Ave in Tempe have the feel of a Downtown Newburyport, Salem, or Portsmouth both with the shopping, restaurants, and the tourists (which I usually don't mind too much).

I had lived in the North Shore Boston / NH area most of my life. The biggest change aside from the weather (the dry heat is great) and desert surroundings, is the fact that no one I have met is actually from here. Everyone has a different story on how they ended up here. Also all of the buildings look as though they were just built. Nothing unique or historic. Very cookie cutter.

Don't worry about too much about the traffic. If you have battled 128, 93, 95, Rte. 1, Rte 3, and the Big Dig, you can deal with this. The highways here are wide, usually always moving, and built for cars (not horse drawn carriages). You also don't have idiots blowing by you in middle of a blizzard.

I can't say much about Buckeye since I have only been there once, but it is on the extreme SW side of the metro area. It'll be a little bit of a drive to get anywhere.

Like other posts have said, the sales tax is no joke and they tax EVERYTHING! Anything saved from the cost of living is eaten up by the tax.

Good luck with you move and rent first for at least a year. It's not for everyone here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM

42 posts, read 100,100 times
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I was worried about the traffic but I deal with 128 everyday so it shouldn't be a big deal!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM

20 posts, read 32,780 times
AZ Bound2013 & joujou21, did either of you make the trip (or move) and come to any decisions? My husband & I visited friends in Buckeye (Sundance area) recently & really liked the area but we're still so unsure because of the commute. We're from a very small town where everything is literally less than 5-10 min away. Buckeye is really the only area that's in our price range that has the criteria we are looking for. We're planning on renting for a year to make sure it's where we want to buy. Our commute (well, my husbands since my job won't transfer) will be to Avondale/Goodyear. I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this area. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm2011 View Post
AZ Bound2013 & joujou21, did either of you make the trip (or move) and come to any decisions? My husband & I visited friends in Buckeye (Sundance area) recently & really liked the area but we're still so unsure because of the commute. We're from a very small town where everything is literally less than 5-10 min away. Buckeye is really the only area that's in our price range that has the criteria we are looking for. We're planning on renting for a year to make sure it's where we want to buy. Our commute (well, my husbands since my job won't transfer) will be to Avondale/Goodyear. I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this area. Thanks!
A commute from Buckeye to Avondale /Goodyear would be awesome in my opinion. I wouldn't let that discourage you at all.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,661,535 times
Quote:
You should have seen Sundance a couple years ago. That was one of a few areas I followed (Goodyear and Avondale were they others). You could pick up some homes under 50K. There were a ton around 60-$70.

Here's an old addresses I had saved 22293 W Morning Glory ST listed at $74,500 at time

Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,792 times
The guy I'm dating lives in Buckeye off of Watson road and when I leave for my internship in the morning it takes me an hour and a half to get to camelback and 3rd ave! its nuts. Only live there if you're commuting to avondale/goodyear/west phx.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Hi mjm2011 - yes I made the trip and we are renting a home in Sundance until the house is finished in Buckeye. I know how you feel about the commute and the distance to stores etc. I think its a good idea for you to rent for a year to see how you like it. I think the Avondale/ Goodyear commute will be just fine. Avondale and Goodyear are very very close. That is where I will be looking to work as well or W. Phoenix. It seemed nice though, the people were very friendly and my mother n law has already made a lots of friends in Sundance - the people are very friendly! Let me know how you make out!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM

494 posts, read 501,147 times
I live in Goodyear, a mile north on Litchfield Road, and work in Tempe. My commute is about 35 - 40 minute when I leave after 8 AM. If I leave home between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. I'm screwed. The commute from Buckeye to Goodyear is super easy. You probably don't need to get on the freeway.

With that said, Buckeye includes one of the jewels of the Westside in terms of liveable communities. Verrado (www.verrado.com) is one of the best communities anywhere in the valley regardless of your budget. There are homes from the mid-100s to over $2M. Tree-lined streets, good design throughout, and a small town feel. I've recently purchased my retirement home there and plan to move there permanently in a few years.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,803 times
Quote:
Like other posts have said, the sales tax is no joke and they tax EVERYTHING! Anything saved from the cost of living is eaten up by the tax.
I do not agree with this statement the cost of living here more than offsets the higher food and clothing taxes

food costs here are much cheaper,
home insurance here is very cheap,
no toll roads anywhere,
cars last much longer and do not rust,
no need to buy winter shoes or clothing,
electricity is much cheaper,
almost 0 in heating costs in winter (this was a big expense in Mass)
many stores and restaurants that compete for your money and keep costs down
I can go to a 99 cent,dollar store or Walmart here in Boston they have no 99 or dollar stores in Mass and Walmarts are pretty few and small and almost nonexistent in the Boston area
you have only weak unions that keep costs down for road projects and other services

Last edited by autism360; 10-21-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I do not agree with this statement the cost of living here more than offsets the higher food and clothing taxes

food costs here are much cheaper,
home insurance here is very cheap,
no toll roads anywhere,
cars last much longer and do not rust,
no need to buy winter shoes or clothing,
electricity is much cheaper,
almost 0 in heating costs in winter (this was a big expense in Mass)
many stores and restaurants that compete for your money and keep costs down
I can go to a 99 cent,dollar store or Walmart here in Boston they have no 99 or dollar stores in Mass and Walmarts are pretty few and small and almost nonexistent in the Boston area
you have only weak unions that keep costs down for road projects and other services
I agree - the sales tax is just a small part. You save $ in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area