Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,576,014 times

Advertisements

Since the OP has been back on, I'd still like to know what their Sterilization Certificate from MACC says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM

606 posts, read 1,599,423 times
I guess the take away lesson for the OP is:

Not paying you dog licensing in Maricopa County is illegal, and may or may not be unethical depending on who you ask. However it is clear that you can "get away with it", if you decide not to pay. So now it will be your duty to do some soul searching and decide whether or not you feel that not paying it would be unethical in you opinion; you can then proceed from there.

Like Observer says: "Thread Closed".

Last edited by El_Waiboi; 02-09-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,564,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylady3 View Post
Bummer...it's not that. I can pay the fee...the dog IS spayed. It's the whole point. Clearly the humane society shared my info with animal control...why didnt they tell me the law then? Why didn't they advise animal control that my dog is spayed as well as had her rabies shot? It's just annoying....I just wanted to see what others had experienced....
That makes sense, LuckyLady . . .

Since you feel the Humane Society Representative should have alerted you to the law, either by ethics or legal requirement, and did not, then I would suggest contacting the Licensing Agency. Since you are more than willing to pay the licensing fee but feel the penalties are excessive or not realistic, you may very well have a case and they may work with you.

Definitely worth a try.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2,769 posts, read 5,687,596 times
Reviving a thread but ......

Looking at the license ($17) versus the fine ($2/month=$24) it appears that the real penalty for not getting a license is actually $7. Can anyone who has received a fine notice confirm this or does the county ask for past due license fees plus a fine?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,165,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Reviving a thread but ......

Looking at the license ($17) versus the fine ($2/month=$24) it appears that the real penalty for not getting a license is actually $7. Can anyone who has received a fine notice confirm this or does the county ask for past due license fees plus a fine?
You're also charged for the past unpaid licensing fees so you'd be charged the $17/year plus $2/month penalty. So the charge would be $41 if you were late a year plus the $17 for the upcoming year to make yourself legal so the total bill would be $58.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,687,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You're also charged for the past unpaid licensing fees so you'd be charged the $17/year plus $2/month penalty. So the charge would be $41 if you were late a year plus the $17 for the upcoming year to make yourself legal so the total bill would be $58.
That's what I thought. Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 PM

453 posts, read 1,622,579 times
I found 2 stray dogs, took them to banfield to have them vaccinated so I could board them over the weekend so a rescue to take them on Monday. Paid $179 to vaccinate both dogs, then signed a paper for the vet there to take them for his own. That was in July of last year, the other day, I get a past due notice on both dogs. I immediately called them and told them my story and they took the charges away.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,165,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
I found 2 stray dogs, took them to banfield to have them vaccinated so I could board them over the weekend so a rescue to take them on Monday. Paid $179 to vaccinate both dogs, then signed a paper for the vet there to take them for his own. That was in July of last year, the other day, I get a past due notice on both dogs. I immediately called them and told them my story and they took the charges away.
That is odd, I was erroneously billed for a dog a while back and called and was told there was absolutely no way to get rid of the charges over the phone and the only way was to write in with an appeal. It appears I was lied to.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,018,468 times
They couldn't care less about dogs' safety and well being.

It's simply a money grab; another intrusive tax.

Canine rabies has been eradicated for over 30 years now.

The rabies' vaccination costs about $2 per dose and lasts at least 3 years; one can administer the vaccine at home. Doing some research, and I found that the vaccine can last up to 7 years.

Too much rabies' preventive care (shots) can weaken a canine's immune system.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,218,233 times
It is true that if you actually did a titer on a dog that had been vaccinated more than three years before (especially if they've had the vaccine more than once), you'd find that the immunity persists long after the three year period.

That said, I think they do care about dogs' safety and well-being. And, canine rabies is virtually nonexistent because of vaccine programs. If everyone stopped, it wouldn't take long before rabies would start creeping back into the population somewhere. And, when I had a dog, I didn't mind paying for the services they provide to strays and to surrendered animals.

If $12 a year for an altered dog is that "intrusive", I can't help you much there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area