Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,611 times

Advertisements

$30/Week!? They're robbing you blind! Just buy a used fridge for $100 and be done with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I used to live southwest of 35th Ave & Cactus and always thought it was a pretty decent neighborhood. Close to everything and full of hard working middle class folks. Seemed my neighborhood was full of teachers, cops, small business owners and folks working retail sales or retail management.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 20,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
$30/Week!? They're robbing you blind! Just buy a used fridge for $100 and be done with it!
Exactly..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
I agree $30/wk for something as petty as a refrigerator is just ridiculous. Go on craigslist and see if anyone is selling one. You'd be amazed at what you can find. You can find a decent refrigerator for under $500 if you look around.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
It's a so-so area, not too high in crime but not completely safe. Really there is no such thing as a perfect crime-free neighborhood.

The only problem I see is how old the homes are, they require much more maintaining, remodel, and repairs. This is fine for a do-it-yourselfer but it can still be very expensive and time-consuming.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
...The only problem I see is how old the homes are, they require much more maintaining, remodel, and repairs. This is fine for a do-it-yourselfer but it can still be very expensive and time-consuming.
He said he want's to rent there, so that's a non-issue.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
He said he want's to rent there, so that's a non-issue.
True, but repairs can create the same headaches whether you're renting or buying.

Property owners hassle with contractors, renters hassle with landlords.

I have had bad experiences in the past with older buildings and the constant repair issues they can create, even worse are the people we are forced to trust to get the job done correctly without being ripped off or given false promises.

For this reason alone if a newer development can be found in that area of Glendale I would pounce on it, but I have a feeling it's going to be hard to find unless the OP goes further out in the suburbs.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterCO View Post
Thanks, all. Much appreciated.

So is it fair to say that anywhere north of this area up to the 101 loop is more or less progressively better neighborhoods? That's the feeling I'm getting from another thread as well.

Also considering a place near West Cactus Road and North 35th Ave...
That's the general opinion, the more suburban you go the newer and nicer the neighborhoods.

But there are some pockets of newer developments in the older areas and some little gated communities mixed in that are very well-kept, just more costly.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
I have lived at 43/northern for the past 7 years and haven't had an issue with crime. I go for walks at 8-10 pm at night and don't feel nervous... people play soccer at the park and there's always people out doing things.

Also grew up at i-17 (25th ave basically) and cactus and like that area even more. i do agree anything on cactus or north of there is nicer without "pockets". Glendale ave is one mile south of me and it's definitely full of less-desirable homes and people you might not want to walk around with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area