Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
The biggest issue is you don't want to be eliminated as a hub like Memphis was in the Delta/NWA merger (despite such corporate promises to maintain Memphis as a reliever for Atlanta). That would be the main factor in job losses.

Looking at the combined American/US Airways airline in the west, you have hubs in Phoenix, Dallas, and Los Angeles. Los Angeles could be in trouble as a hub due to the smaller amount of routes in/out of the airport. Dallas could be in trouble due to the weather delays often incurred there. The only way Phoenix would be in trouble is if they feel that they can move all of the PHX routes to LAX and eliminate PHX as a hub due to duplicity. That's the least likely, IMO, especially with how centralized PHX is.
Phoenix will likely be reduced to a spoke. There are more frequent flier elites in Los Angeles and Dallas and more high revenue passengers paying for first class. The new American will chase after those passengers. I don't believe US Airways offers any routes out of Phoenix that aren't offered out of Dallas or LAX and the new American will want to feed the international flight at LAX and Dallas over the domestic hub that is PHX. Passengers that used to connect in PHX, will easily be able to do it in Dallas or LAX once the hub is closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not concerned about the flight schedule. The direct and indirect job loss, yes.
It's bad for Phoenix but it's not as bad as others are saying. They will maintain a hub, it's not easy to completely change their operations so I have no fear of that. I also don't fear the flight schedule will change and there will be direct flights from Phoenix.

However, I do fear the number of jobs that will be lost.

You know city residents will harrass a kicker for missing a kick in a Superbowl but when one of your residents relocates a headquarters and causes thousands of lost jobs to the city, you would think the residents would provide similar treatment to the CEO responsible ie Doug Parker. I'm joking but it's sad how they got away with this.

I saw the writing on the wall 6 years ago when U.S. Airways tried to merge with Delta because they would have done the same thing and moved their headquarters. I stopped flying U.S. Airways a long time ago. They were obviously not loyal to the city of Phoenix and it's residents so why would I be loyal back. And with any merger, you essentially get screwed out of your miles and benefits which is another reason I stopped flying them.

Besides, they have always been a horrible airline even when they were America West. We used to call them America Worst back then. It was a terribly unorganized and cheap airline that resembled some carrier from slapstick comedy. I remember, they would change gates and not announce it or not declare which gate and leave a questionmark. It was just a terribly run cheap airline.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Phoenix will likely be reduced to a spoke. There are more frequent flier elites in Los Angeles and Dallas and more high revenue passengers paying for first class. The new American will chase after those passengers. I don't believe US Airways offers any routes out of Phoenix that aren't offered out of Dallas or LAX and the new American will want to feed the international flight at LAX and Dallas over the domestic hub that is PHX. Passengers that used to connect in PHX, will easily be able to do it in Dallas or LAX once the hub is closed.
That's true but what will happen is Southwest Airlines will increase it's presence here and offer more flights seeing that U.S. Airways/American will be out of the picture and I prefer Southwest Airlines anyway. They are a much better airline.

There will be close to 5 million people here by 2020. That's a significant population that won't be ignored. Someone will fill in the gap if American leaves and I believe Southwest will capitalize on it. Southwest may be headquartered in Dallas but their biggest hub is Phoenix from my understanding. Most Phoenix residents aren't concerned with international flights or first class seating. We desire direct domestic flights which Southwest can fullfill.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-14-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Besides, they have always been a horrible airline even when they were America West. We used to call them America Worst back then. It was a terribly unorganized and cheap airline that resembled some carrier from slapstick comedy. I remember, they would change gates and not announce it or not declare which gate and leave a questionmark. It was just a terribly run cheap airline.
The difference is that America West was very loyal to the Phoenix area, and did a lot to give back to the community. As soon as they merged with US Airways and took the US Airways name, it was almost as if they found their 'reason' to stop giving back. People would be upset if America West stopped giving back, but not if US Airways did.

I don't think their flight operations out of PHX will change much, but I imagine the job loss and relocation at HQ will be pretty painful.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
The difference is that America West was very loyal to the Phoenix area, and did a lot to give back to the community. As soon as they merged with US Airways and took the US Airways name, it was almost as if they found their 'reason' to stop giving back. People would be upset if America West stopped giving back, but not if US Airways did.

I don't think their flight operations out of PHX will change much, but I imagine the job loss and relocation at HQ will be pretty painful.
I'm curious if another low fare discount airline could emerge in the Valley like America West. Is that even a possibility these days? I think that would be interesting. I know a lot of people in the Valley would be loyal and fly it especially in retaliation to U.S. Airways.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
It could happen. It would be out of Gateway, though, and not Sky Harbor. At least that's the current trend for low cost airlines.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Looks like they built the sky train for nothing. We will be down to one, maybe two terminals in five years. They need to postpone any expansion plans too to see how this turns out. We don't need another "jobing.com arena" in the city.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Phoenix will likely be reduced to a spoke. There are more frequent flier elites in Los Angeles and Dallas and more high revenue passengers paying for first class. The new American will chase after those passengers.
That's it right there. The corporate fliers are how the big airlines make any profit.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm curious if another low fare discount airline could emerge in the Valley like America West. Is that even a possibility these days? I think that would be interesting. I know a lot of people in the Valley would be loyal and fly it especially in retaliation to U.S. Airways.
I can't hate on them too much; I'm partial to American Airlines. Back long ago when I was in the Army and flew military standby, American always treated us the best. We always got a seat in first class! I'll never forget a flight I took on American. I was in first class along with the rock band, The Who from San Fran to Chicago.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
I am an American frequent flier and typically avoid US Airways if possible because Terminal 4 is typically much harder to deal with than the other two. I doubt that fliers will see too much difference, though, except fares rising faster than they would have otherwise done. Still, my son and family live near Denver and we will be (eventually) able to fly up there with American miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area