Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdbllung View Post
No wharehouses, multiple used tire shops, prostitutes, infestation of illegal mexicans! Anyone to refute this is simply either blind or is playing stupid! Like i said, take a little drive and you will clearly see the run down POS that PHX really is. Sure the pictures look great of phx, but the truth is ugly.
I'll take the bait, I sell industrial supplies so I've been in every crappy neighborhood in the entire valley. The last time I saw a hooker walking down the street was in Mesa a few weeks ago. It was in an area of tire shops and warehouses. The east valley is not immune from nasty run down areas either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I would say the worst area for this is Old Town Scottsdale on the weekends.
I think the young drinkers on Tempe's Mill Avenue can give them a run for the money! In the summer with most of the students gone, the edge is probably with OT Scottsdale for the next few months. Was actually an out of town participant a few weeks ago when I went to my nephews' ASU graduation. Did not drive...hotel was within walking distance. LOL.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
My daughter is going to school in Glendale next year. What is your advice as far as places where she should be cautious? She's from a very rural place, Oahu. She'll stay in one of the campus dormitories with her classmates. But I did hear from my husband's friends who were from Arizona saying Glendale is a rough and 'unsafe' neighborhood. Could you name the area or street where she shouldn't be? I'm just a concerned mother.......

Old 11-23-2014, 06:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKimi View Post
My daughter is going to school in Glendale next year. What is your advice as far as places where she should be cautious? She's from a very rural place, Oahu. She'll stay in one of the campus dormitories with her classmates. But I did hear from my husband's friends who were from Arizona saying Glendale is a rough and 'unsafe' neighborhood. Could you name the area or street where she shouldn't be? I'm just a concerned mother.......
Oahu is an island, and Honolulu is on Oahu. How large is the the place she lives? Also, Glendale is a suburb of Phoenix with a population of well over 200,000 - not a neighborhood. As such, there are both good and not so good areas. Your husband's friends were incorrect. A quick search of the Phoenix forum will yield lots of recent threads.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,421 times
Quote:
This is an overgeneralization, but it could be said that the Southern part of Glendale is lower income and the further North you go the nicer it gets.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
If you are talking about GCU, yes, it is in a pretty shabby area, but it is not what you might think of as a "ghetto" by a long shot. It's a working class neighborhood with an abundance of Hispanics. I have one kid who is at least considering GCU so we share the same concern. I don't think it is particularly unsafe though and I would not be worried about sending my own child there. It's not like they are going to be walking alone around the neighborhoods late at night or something. I hear of a lot more crime around ASU in Tempe than I do around GCU in Glendale.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:27 PM

43 posts, read 58,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you are talking about GCU, yes, it is in a pretty shabby area, but it is not what you might think of as a "ghetto" by a long shot. It's a working class neighborhood with an abundance of Hispanics. I have one kid who is at least considering GCU so we share the same concern. I don't think it is particularly unsafe though and I would not be worried about sending my own child there. It's not like they are going to be walking alone around the neighborhoods late at night or something. I hear of a lot more crime around ASU in Tempe than I do around GCU in Glendale.
Grand Canyon University is in Phoenix.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Default Ghetto explained by Detroit native

I really had to laugh at the reply by Azdbllung. My best friend has lived in North Tempe since the late 70's & has not been bk to where we both grew up in Detroit since then. In 2012, we took a tour of Phoenix & burbs during the day. He pointed out what he believed were bad areas & drove quickly through them. I was laughing my ass off the entire time. Driving through those areas, he constantly reminded me to close my window. My God, we grew up in Brightmoor. It has always had the reputation of the worst area on the West side. I just retired from working the last 26yrs in the inner City of Detroit. Going into mostly dope homes helping hospital patients. There is not much that scares me. A Ghetto is made up of minorities. Detroit is Black. Most of the homes in Detroit were built in the 1920's - 1940's, double story and very large. The residents have to contend with the White Mafia, Black Mafia, Southern drug cartels and just plain bad asses. They are very poor, uneducated, frightened, hungry and have no place to go. Then you have the southern suburbs that appear to be shabby & "scarry" but happen to be lower income working people just trying to survive. I have never had one problem, not once. I am street smart though, having learned many things growing up. I found Phoenix & it's burbs to be very beautiful & cultural. Don't judge the people by the appearance of the neighborhood. Everyone is trying to survive. Give the bum a buck or two. Yes it's for alcohol but it's cheaper than a psych. Hope to move out there this year.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
Even in Southern California the ghetto gang areas are cleaning up massively. Looks like gangs are a dying breed with the exception of Chicago. I think it comes down to two important points:
1.) Phoenix never had ghetto areas as bad as they come in areas of L.A.
2.) Even in L.A. and Southern California the bad areas are cleaning up fast and hard
Again, the problem areas in Phoenix seem to be exaggerated.
http://www.psmag.com/politics-and-la...ic-crime-95498

Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM

770 posts, read 837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightmoor View Post
I really had to laugh at the reply by Azdbllung. My best friend has lived in North Tempe since the late 70's & has not been bk to where we both grew up in Detroit since then. In 2012, we took a tour of Phoenix & burbs during the day. He pointed out what he believed were bad areas & drove quickly through them. I was laughing my ass off the entire time. Driving through those areas, he constantly reminded me to close my window. My God, we grew up in Brightmoor. It has always had the reputation of the worst area on the West side. I just retired from working the last 26yrs in the inner City of Detroit. Going into mostly dope homes helping hospital patients. There is not much that scares me. A Ghetto is made up of minorities. Detroit is Black. Most of the homes in Detroit were built in the 1920's - 1940's, double story and very large. The residents have to contend with the White Mafia, Black Mafia, Southern drug cartels and just plain bad asses. They are very poor, uneducated, frightened, hungry and have no place to go. Then you have the southern suburbs that appear to be shabby & "scarry" but happen to be lower income working people just trying to survive. I have never had one problem, not once. I am street smart though, having learned many things growing up. I found Phoenix & it's burbs to be very beautiful & cultural. Don't judge the people by the appearance of the neighborhood. Everyone is trying to survive. Give the bum a buck or two. Yes it's for alcohol but it's cheaper than a psych. Hope to move out there this year.
Sounds like you should post this in the Detroit area. Tempe doesn't have ghetto areas you have the area around ASU filled with the college/frat party scene. Then the working class area from Broadway up to Guadalupe, and then South Tempe which is the more affluent area where you need some money to live up into Chandler. Phoenix does have ghetto area that are deep rooted in gang culture similar to Los Angeles in South Phoenix and now going into Maryvale. When the gangs in Los Angeles expanded one of the first territories the took over was Phoenix. Detroit is just and example of what happens when the main industry closes down and white flight happens but that has nothing to do with Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area