Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of relocating to Scottsdale from Omaha and need some advice. I'm 24 and work as a security design consultant. I design and sell access control, CCTV and instrusion systems for commercial applications.

Anyone know of a good company to work for in my related field? Also, how are salaries in the Pheonix area compared to Omaha.

Im single w/no kids and moving with a couple buddies of mine. Info on where to live and nightlife in that area would be great also.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
No need to limit yourself to Scottsdale. Parts of Scottsdale are certainly nice, but it's just one suburb in the large Phoenix Metro Area. To avoid a brutal commute, find your job first and then look for an attractive place to live within a reasonable commuting distance.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM

Ok, areas to avoid? I'll start there.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Ok, areas to avoid? I'll start there.
See this discussion.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Yikes, lots too watch out for IC. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yikes, lots too watch out for IC. Thanks for the info.
I should clarify that I don't agree with everything said in that thread -- especially the claim that most neighborhoods within Phoenix City limits are bad. That's completely untrue. Focus instead on posts that talk about specific bad areas, rather than those that bash entire cities. Also, be careful not to put the cart before the horse. The job offer should really come before the decision of where to live.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

The job probably won't be a huge problem but yeah, I am definitely working that out as well. I won't be moving until spring and my friends will be moving in December. Scottsdale is where they have found their jobs so I assume Scottsdale is most likely where I will be moving to.

Also, if anyone has spent time in both Omaha and Phoenix areas how would you compare the 2 as far as quality of living?

Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Im thinking of relocating to Scottsdale from Omaha and need some advice. I'm 24 and work as a security design consultant. I design and sell access control, CCTV and instrusion systems for commercial applications.

Anyone know of a good company to work for in my related field? Also, how are salaries in the Pheonix area compared to Omaha.

Im single w/no kids and moving with a couple buddies of mine. Info on where to live and nightlife in that area would be great also.

Thanks
If you are going to live in Scottsdale and want to be close to nightlife, I would live in Old Town. There are a couple of complexes within walking distance of the bars and restaurants. Otherwise, you will have to drive because there is no public transportation and cabs are terrible out there and unreliable. Driving is not fun and I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, good luck. Don't know anything about Omaha but I wasn't a big fan of the Phoenix area so I left. But, some like it out there. There seems to be a big contention from the Midwest, so you will probably fit in.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
The job probably won't be a huge problem but yeah, I am definitely working that out as well. I won't be moving until spring and my friends will be moving in December. Scottsdale is where they have found their jobs so I assume Scottsdale is most likely where I will be moving to.

Also, if anyone has spent time in both Omaha and Phoenix areas how would you compare the 2 as far as quality of living?

Thanks again!
That California "lifestyle" that you attacked on the General Boards is EXACTLY what youll find in most areas of Scottsdale. Id look more into places like Tempe or perhaps Chandler/Glendale... areas that arent so snobbish and tuned into money and fashion (which dominates Scottsdale).

Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That California "lifestyle" that you attacked on the General Boards is EXACTLY what youll find in most areas of Scottsdale. Id look more into places like Tempe or perhaps Chandler/Glendale... areas that arent so snobbish and tuned into money and fashion (which dominates Scottsdale).
LOL, oh great.... You know, I have no problem with money and fashion. I work my butt off and make good money and dress good. I just don't get people who feel the need to talk about it referencing themselves as better than others. I’m used to people who have money here don't talk about it and people who don't have money pretend they do....if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area