Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,043 times

Advertisements

I have soon to be fourteen year old twin boys that could use a more productive use of ample idle time. That said, I understand AZ doesn't require work permits for teens, just work hour restrictions. Any suggestions on potential places of employment for teens that aren't competing with 40 year olds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
I thought they had to be 15 years old...or 15 years and 7 months, something like that, to be able to work.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I thought they had to be 15 years old...or 15 years and 7 months, something like that, to be able to work.

Not true. There are restrictions on hours of work, and total number of hours in a week, and on the type of work they can do. Did some google searching on "child labor Arizona"... all sorts of info.

As far as ideas on what they could do, that's something else again. They'd be more likely to find some volunteer work than regular paid work, but I'd have to do some thinking about where they might start looking for that.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM

357 posts, read 711,642 times
It was 15 when I was younger (I worked at a cold stone on weekends). That was 10+ years ago or so though. I'd look at places similar to an ice cream shop like I did, aSauce/Pei Wei type place, bussers at a restaurant. Also I worked at a summer day camp one summer.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As far as ideas on what they could do, that's something else again. They'd be more likely to find some volunteer work than regular paid work, but I'd have to do some thinking about where they might start looking for that.
Volunteer at a library? A dog kennel? A nursing home? (Can they read the newspaper to residents, or read a book to someone with failing vision? Can they help someone write a letter? Can they play an instrument, such as piano, and perhaps entertain residents in the Day Room?)

For paid work, could they do pooper-scooper patrol and clean up people's back yards? Dog walking? Are there frail/infirm residents around who may want someone to walk to the mailboxes daily for them and get their mail and perhaps put out/take in their trash cans weekly?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM

601 posts, read 755,470 times
I think that movie theaters, especially Harkins, hire a lot of younger kids. A lot of my classmates worked there when I was in high school. But FYI they will be expected to work holidays, especially Christmas.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
How about asking the boys what interests they have and then help them find some sort of job along those lines?

For example:
"Well Dad, I kind of like cars."
"Okay son, I'll take you around to some car washes, auto mechanic shops, and dealerships to see if they possible have any work for you."

Trust me...this will work out better than soliciting suggestions from random internet people then trying to force those jobs down your kids throats.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
When I was 15 there was only one place in town that would hire anyone under 16, so I went to bus tables there. $3.35 an hour and I thought I was rich, living at home with no bills. Better yet, my then girlfriend worked there too, so I got to see her a lot and also carpool with her. Before that I was a contractor's helper under the table and mowed lawns in the neghborhood. I would hold off on volunteer work. It was a good lesson for me to see adults and even prisoners on work-release working min. wage jobs alongside me in restaurants. Those folks don't do volunteer work and they were a good reminder for me to study hard, stay in school and not knock up my GF (not that I didn't almost do it).

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Volunteer at a library? A dog kennel? A nursing home? (Can they read the newspaper to residents, or read a book to someone with failing vision? Can they help someone write a letter? Can they play an instrument, such as piano, and perhaps entertain residents in the Day Room?)

For paid work, could they do pooper-scooper patrol and clean up people's back yards? Dog walking? Are there frail/infirm residents around who may want someone to walk to the mailboxes daily for them and get their mail and perhaps put out/take in their trash cans weekly?
That's a very good start!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
How about asking the boys what interests they have and then help them find some sort of job along those lines?

For example:
"Well Dad, I kind of like cars."
"Okay son, I'll take you around to some car washes, auto mechanic shops, and dealerships to see if they possible have any work for you."

Trust me...this will work out better than soliciting suggestions from random internet people then trying to force those jobs down your kids throats.

The basic approach here is a good one, to tap into things that relate to their interests, and getting some buy-in from them rather than pressuring them to get out the door and do something. (do check out the kind of places that by law they can't work in) That said, I've never seen anyone that young at a car wash, and auto mechanic shops are not likely to have something for anyone that young either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: