Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Glendale is hit & miss. The Arrowhead area and north sides are the best locations, but the areas around downtown & south Glendale are very spotty. In fact, there are many neighborhoods in central & south Glendale that I would stay away from simply because they aren't very nice.

Tempe would actually be a closer commute to downtown Phoenix, and more options for commuting besides driving. Bus & light rail are readily accessible from north Tempe. There are some old historic neighborhoods south of University Avenue that might be in your price range, and would be within 15 to 30 minutes of downtown Phoenix (depending on what time of day you commute). South Tempe would be a little too far if you want to avoid the 30+ minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
There are many options close to downtown Phoenix besides Tempe. South Scottsdale is close to downtown Phoenix as well North Chandler and Ahwautukee. If you want to live on the west side, consider Tolleson, Avondale and Peoria as they are relatively close to downtown Phoenix.

North Chandler is very close to downtown Phoenix as well, it borders South Tempe. I commute to downtown from there and I can make it there in 20-25 minutes WITH MORNING RUSH HOUR( Once you get past the Broadway curve on I-10, your fine). I also recommend Ahwautukee but try not to go too far deep into the foothills.

The parts of Glendale that are close to downtown are not the nice parts of Glendale and I wouldn't recommend Glendale for this reason.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
It would be helpful for you to look at a map to see just how large some of these towns are. For instance Phoenix proper (no suburbs) has over 516 square miles of area! Compare that the Tempe at around 40 square miles. So nearly 13 towns the size of Tempe could fit inside of Phoenix.

Even in the town of Peoria, there is over 178 square miles of area. The town is massive. With traffic, it could easily take >30 minutes from edge to edge. I'm not sure how these towns got their borders but a map will show some screwy plots.

If you prefer a short commute, consider one of the many Phoenix proper neighborhoods. I can work from anywhere (so long as there is a FEDEX truck). But if I had to work downtown, I'd keep it under 20 minutes. During rush hour, I've been in 0 MPH traffic too many times in the downtown vicinity.

Good luck.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-07-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area