U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 9,364 times

Advertisements

After a dust storm, is it common to have huge piles of dirt in one's driveway? What other house "damage" might one expect from dust storms like you may have experienced? (I'm live in the northeast and am moving to AZ) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
YAZ

6,148 posts, read 6,660,338 times
Time to wash the car.

We keep the windows closed when the wind picks up. Kinda sux cuz the storms roll in and the temps drop.....kinda nice when you've been running the ac for months.

Haven't been stuck in one while driving, thank goodness.

I think I'd just pull over and wait it out at Denny's...et al....

The pool gets filthy and it takes a couple of days to clear; I just don't have time with work and everything.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM

17,348 posts, read 20,521,273 times
No. It's not like a blowing sand dune or a snow bank or that stuff in the dust bowl documentary. It is not anywhere that severe. It is just dust in the air. It settles on things - just a thin layer like a very dusty table - and is most noticeable if you have a pool. But no piles of dirt.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 5,861,793 times
Driving in a dust storm is not fun and is very dangerous. I have been stuck driving (Freeway) in a dust storm twice.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 5,861,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No. It's not like a blowing sand dune or a snow bank or that stuff in the dust bowl documentary. It is not anywhere that severe. It is just dust in the air. It settles on things - just a thin layer like a very dusty table - and is most noticeable if you have a pool. But no piles of dirt.
It can be black out conditions when you are driving. I have been in one in which I could only see a few feet in front of my hood.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM

2,989 posts, read 2,909,319 times
You'll just have a light layer of dust over everything and will require a cleaning. Not like you'll have sand dunes across the driveway. The only damage is likely a tree broken once in awhile.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM

798 posts, read 756,366 times
It's like being sandblasted if you happen to have your face out in it. It can leave your stucco, pool, and patio very dirty but doesn't generally pile up like snowdrifts or dunes. Actually I've seen a bit of that in low spots on rural highways, but doesn't happen in your yard. Damage will depend on the amount of wind that comes with it - broken tree branches, and furniture in the pool type things. Many of us in Arizona have taken to calling the most severe and large dust storms "haboobs." Phoenix usually gets about 3 per year, but last year it seemed to happen almost weekly during the summer monsoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area