Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a trip from the Tempe area to Laughlin when I'm in AZ within the next couple of weeks. I was just wondering, what is the speed limit up 93 towards Laughlin? Are there any speed traps?

By no means am I a leadfoot, I usually drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit. I was just curious what I can put the cruise control on, lol. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
I'm thinking about taking a trip from the Tempe area to Laughlin when I'm in AZ within the next couple of weeks. I was just wondering, what is the speed limit up 93 towards Laughlin? Are there any speed traps?

By no means am I a leadfoot, I usually drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit. I was just curious what I can put the cruise control on, lol. Thanks!
Most of US 93 has a 65 mph limit. There are exceptions within construction zones (45 to 55 mph). The area around Wickenburg is known to be a speed trap. The speed limit is lower in business districts along the way. The section of 93 shared with I-40 is 75 mph.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM

81 posts, read 214,610 times
Speed limit on most of US 93, IIRC, is 65 MPH. The main thoroughfare to get out of Phoenix, Grand Avenue, is 45 MPH and with all the stoplights can be a pain to travel. There is a speed camera in El Mirage on Grand Avenue at Primrose. I think it is calibrated to allow you to travel a certain speed over the limit without being ticketed.

The only places I remember police presence (have taken this drive many times) is through a settlement called Wikieup where the speed limit drops for several miles. The other place is just around a place called Nothing, AZ. There is a grade there that I guess a lot of people speed down (police occasionally hide out in the median).

Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Wickenburg used to be a real speed trap back before I -10 was finished. I was so thankful when the freeway bypassed that town.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
That drive sucks, especially when you do it anytime on a weekend. Get ready to be stuck in traffic most of the way. IMO the problem isnt the speed limit (even though theeres only a few towns you go through and construction) IIRC speed goes down to 35 quite a few times when in the small towns, but doesnt last long. If you can even slightly be a leadfoot, use the small towns, (when for a mile or two you get two lanes) and the minimal passing lanes you get to pass quickly when you can. The few semis and too many RVs on that road make that drive suck QUICK. Out on the road and away from the small towns, there really isnt many places cops can hide out anyways.

Im not sure why everyone likes to take this route, but when you factor in speed limits, traffic, construction, and those small towns; compared to the higher speed limit, open visible roadway, only stop when you need to, and the option of having a lot more along the way, when you factor it all together.. why not just take I17 and cut over on the 40? I know I usually speed a little, and thats something you just dont get a chance to do on 93, but I swear I17 is just faster and easier.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Im not sure why everyone likes to take this route, but when you factor in speed limits, traffic, construction, and those small towns; compared to the higher speed limit, open visible roadway, only stop when you need to, and the option of having a lot more along the way, when you factor it all together.. why not just take I17 and cut over on the 40? I know I usually speed a little, and thats something you just dont get a chance to do on 93, but I swear I17 is just faster and easier.
That's a crazy idea! Do you really drive that route? That way adds 100 miles onto the trip.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what??? View Post
Speed limit on most of US 93, IIRC, is 65 MPH. The main thoroughfare to get out of Phoenix, Grand Avenue, is 45 MPH and with all the stoplights can be a pain to travel. There is a speed camera in El Mirage on Grand Avenue at Primrose. I think it is calibrated to allow you to travel a certain speed over the limit without being ticketed.

The only places I remember police presence (have taken this drive many times) is through a settlement called Wikieup where the speed limit drops for several miles. The other place is just around a place called Nothing, AZ. There is a grade there that I guess a lot of people speed down (police occasionally hide out in the median).
The speed cameras usually flash if you're going 11 or more miles over the speed limit. The current cameras on Grand (US 60) were put up there by the city of El Mirage.

Grand/US 60 west of Loop 303 has a 65 mph limit. Taking I-17 to AZ 74 (Carefree Hwy) may be a better ride to avoid all the lights on Grand Ave.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
That drive sucks, especially when you do it anytime on a weekend. Get ready to be stuck in traffic most of the way. IMO the problem isnt the speed limit (even though theeres only a few towns you go through and construction) IIRC speed goes down to 35 quite a few times when in the small towns, but doesnt last long. If you can even slightly be a leadfoot, use the small towns, (when for a mile or two you get two lanes) and the minimal passing lanes you get to pass quickly when you can. The few semis and too many RVs on that road make that drive suck QUICK. Out on the road and away from the small towns, there really isnt many places cops can hide out anyways.

Much of US 93 is being widened to a 4 lane divided highway. As time goes on the ride will be better.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM

675 posts, read 1,413,887 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
That's a crazy idea! Do you really drive that route? That way adds 100 miles onto the trip.
agreed. Do NOT take I17 to I40 to get to Laughlin/Vegas! I would take I17 to Carefree Hwy, and take that west to Wickenburg to hit 93.

There are only 2 towns to go thru- Wickenburg & Wikieup.

The first 30 or 35 miles on the north side of Wickenburg are 2 lanes 65mph, with a number of passing lane sections. Beyond that, it's almost all 4 lane divided highway to I40, with a slowdown for a couple miles thru Wikiup.

Traffic typically isn't very heavy- however ymmv based on when you travel.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times
Thanks for all the responses. Tentatively, I would be traveling on a Monday morning/afternoon. Plan to stay in Laughlin for the night, then drive back Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area