Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times

Advertisements

Cactus League costs: Phoenix-area cities lose millions operating stadiums but say it's worth it

8 of 9 cities in the Valley lose money on spring training baseball stadiums- interesting and revealing report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:00 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
They have been doing fuzzy math on these sports projects for decades. Every time something is proposed we hear how much it is going to mean for our city and region. If we got all the returns we have been promised, we would likely not have property taxes and the cities would be sending us checks! Having said that, the parks are a community resource. I know our Goodyear park sees plenty of events that make it more like a community than the bunch of anonymous housing tracts it would otherwise be.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
Glendale hasn't been doing to bad.

Time to charge the teams larger fees so the cities can break even.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM

233 posts, read 258,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Having said that, the parks are a community resource. I know our Goodyear park sees plenty of events that make it more like a community than the bunch of anonymous housing tracts it would otherwise be.
That's a good point. I think a lot of people believe that these parks are only used for 6 weeks out of the year. Many of them get used throughout the year for different community events and festivals. Also, the majority of them are year-round facilities for the teams when it comes medical rehab, rookie ball, and Arizona Fall League.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM

168 posts, read 456,379 times
We went to a game this weekend and almost everyone sitting around us was from out of town. They had flown in for the weekend, so they were spending money on air fare, hotels, rental cars, food, etc. A few days prior, we were at a different stadium and had a similar experience.

Perhaps the parks aren't big earnings generators for the various cities. But they do draw people from other states who spend money at our restaurants, buy over priced beers at the ball parks, and experience the great weather we have in March and consider moving here b/c, what's not to love about AZ in March??? (An out-of-towner said that to me at one of the games).

PHX isn't necessarily a hub of entertainment, and being one of only two states in the country to host spring training games is a huge plus in my book.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
when the tax revenue generated is added up Im sure all the cities make money. So the actual loss the stadium creates is taken away.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...dget-cuts.html

Eh, evens out. We just take the money from elsewhere to fund the loss from spring training.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...dget-cuts.html

Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
I read the story and wondered why the cities continued to operate the camps?

Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan1 View Post
We went to a game this weekend and almost everyone sitting around us was from out of town...

Perhaps the parks aren't big earnings generators for the various cities. But they do draw people from other states who spend money at our restaurants, buy over priced beers at the ball parks, and experience the great weather we have in March and consider moving here b/c, what's not to love about AZ in March??? .
True. But I avoid buying big ticket items in my town of Surprise because of the stadium sales tax. It's out of control to charge close to 10% sales tax. So while the restaurants are swamped in March, local people buy mail order all year long to dodge the tax. In summary, the other local businesses are also being hurt because of the stadium tax. I'd think twice about putting in a retail business that sells big ticket items. You would become the 'free" showroom for Amazon purchasers.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
True. But I avoid buying big ticket items in my town of Surprise because of the stadium sales tax. It's out of control to charge close to 10% sales tax. So while the restaurants are swamped in March, local people buy mail order all year long to dodge the tax. In summary, the other local businesses are also being hurt because of the stadium tax. I'd think twice about putting in a retail business that sells big ticket items. You would become the 'free" showroom for Amazon purchasers.
Amazon now collects an Arizona sales tax. Amazon Will Start Collecting Arizona Sales Tax in February - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area