Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 49,370 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy in either Sun City or Sun City West. I know that there is a difference in the age of the homes, but other than that, I would like to hear about any other pro's and con's between the two.

we don't golf, and are looking forward to other activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,136,112 times
Both communities are similar. SCW is a little newer and further north. SCW fees are slightly lower. Capital preservation fee for SC is $3000, for SCW it is $2500.

You can find nice homes in either community. It depends on your budget and what you like.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM

27 posts, read 97,611 times
Both are great communities. Reasonable prices, low taxes and a lot of amenities. Both have top notch hospitals and plenty of shopping etc. SCW is newer construction, but the Mid Century Modern homes in SC have become very popular of late.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,677,064 times
The taxes in SCW have a high school bond attached and the rec fees are certainly higher in SCW compared to SC. We just toured SCW and the person at the counter told us the rec fee was $1,500 a year compared to our $445 a year. Perhaps they were wrong so please explore further.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

9,483 posts, read 16,369,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The taxes in SCW have a high school bond attached and the rec fees are certainly higher in SCW compared to SC. We just toured SCW and the person at the counter told us the rec fee was $1,500 a year compared to our $445 a year. Perhaps they were wrong so please explore further.

My rec center fee was $400 a year for one person at SCW .I was told it generally goes up every year. I don't know how they work it, for married couples. I know there is a mother and son living near me, and they pay $800 a year. The mother hasn't seen the inside of the Rec center in years. She doesn't have the mobility and the son rarely goes. Seems like a waste of money in their case, but they are forced to pay it. So evidently each person in their house must pay the annual fee.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,677,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
My rec center fee was $400 a year for one person at SCW .I was told it generally goes up every year. I don't know how they work it, for married couples. I know there is a mother and son living near me, and they pay $800 a year. The mother hasn't seen the inside of the Rec center in years. She doesn't have the mobility and the son rarely goes. Seems like a waste of money in their case, but they are forced to pay it. So evidently each person in their house must pay the annual fee.
Must be the case that they charge for each member of the household. Not sure why the tour guide told us it was $1,500 a year.....that just seems high, however the club facility was well worth it in my opinion. It looked like a Spanish mall and we left wondering if a move to SCW would be a bad thing, lol. How are your property taxes? Cant be much more than the original SC and I would like to know how we compare to Sun City Grand.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM

214 posts, read 397,449 times
Sun City West

Sun City West, Arizona active adult retirement community, golf communities, active senior adult retirement communities, best tennis retirement communities

The Original Sun City

RCSC Fees | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Both links should show you a comparison of the fees for both.

We liked them both, but the original Sun City simply has more of what we wanted for less cost. You need to check out both and decide for yourself. We were not interested in SC Grand.

Comparable Fees (from the original Sun City website)

Comparable Fees | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

I might also mention that we visited all of the 7 Recreational Centers in the Original Sun City and they were all extremely clean and modern. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 03-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Additional information

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 PM

47 posts, read 132,435 times
Unhappy Rec fees????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Now this is new... Rec fees? On top of HOA as well?? I had no idea. I was given the impression that if one lived in a community, it was all part of THE community and now one is obligated to pay for recreation in a community? I just want to SWIM mostly - top priority and also love music and dancing as a group social outlet and a way to meet people. oh my.. things dont sound very enchanting in community living upon reading this jimrob...

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM

8,214 posts, read 8,530,088 times
Your HOA is different than your Rec Center fee. Your HOA is for your home and has nothing to do with Sun City. The rec center fee is for the amenities. $450 a year. That is for 1 or 2 people. That like $1.25 a day. How did you think they keep 7 rec centers going? Did you think everything was free? The costs to keep Sun City running is about a million a month. They bring in quite a bit more and that is why there is constant improvements and upgrades. New buyers pay $3000(one time fee) when the title in transfered. That is for capital improvements. I think it is money well spent. The somewhat new rec center was 20 million. Another one is being upgraded now.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM

214 posts, read 397,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Your HOA is different than your Rec Center fee. Your HOA is for your home and has nothing to do with Sun City. The rec center fee is for the amenities. $450 a year. That is for 1 or 2 people. That like $1.25 a day. How did you think they keep 7 rec centers going? Did you think everything was free? The costs to keep Sun City running is about a million a month. They bring in quite a bit more and that is why there is constant improvements and upgrades. New buyers pay $3000(one time fee) when the title in transfered. That is for capital improvements. I think it is money well spent. The somewhat new rec center was 20 million. Another one is being upgraded now.
I wholeheartedly agree. The one time $3,000 fee is also well worth it. And the rec centers are maintained in excellent condition. If there are two people in the household it's (hang on to your hat ) $0.616 a day per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area