Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 85,683 times

Advertisements

Company is giving me a lump sum of $20k for total moving expenses. What van line should I go with to save the most money? Anyone have any experiences with this?

Thanks

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM

35 posts, read 75,072 times
I've done 3 relatively big out of state moves in the last couple of years and used ABF for all of them. They have a few options - loading/unloading at your homes or loading/unloading at their freight depots. I believe they also offer packing services.

As long as you're going from a major metro area to another major metro area, it can save a lot of $$. They outbid every company I tried by a significant amount. The only time I didn't use them was moving to Flagstaff - the cost coming up the mountain was just astronomical.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM

I'm moving from Northwest Arkansas. Doesn't look like door2door has any services here. Not looking promising.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 PM

6,752 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Hi,

The website "movingscam.com" has lots of good reviews and resources. Most every mover has some bad reviews, unfortunately.

We decided to do most of the box packing ourselves, and moved those boxes and a few nicer pieces of furniture ourselves with a Budget rental truck. We're hiring a moving company to deliver the rest of the furniture and appliances (my back isn't strong enough to lift all of that stuff any longer!).

Good luck,

hikernut

Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,649 times
We moved from Houston to Phoenix area 4-1/2 years ago and used Graebel but paid more than 2,000$. It was something between 5 and 5500$, don't remember exactly. We were expecting more. It depends on the weight. We did 99% of our packing ourselves. They packed our TV's and the glass top from our kitchen table (42" ROUND). They also loaded our second car in front of our house (SUV). We were very happy with them. They were on time for loading and unloading. Nothing was broken and nothing missing. A friend of ours used them a few years earlier and was happy with them too. Since she had only a few pieces of furniture she tried first to rent a U-Haul. Believe it or not, U-Haul rent was more expensive than Graebel. We could not believe it and my husband went to U-Haul to check it out because we thought she misunderstood them.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrul View Post
Company is giving me a lump sum of $20k for total moving expenses. What van line should I go with to save the most money? Anyone have any experiences with this?

Thanks

Brandon
$20k????

Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 AM

68 posts, read 161,990 times
I used United and was very satisfied. They are a little pricey but it was worth it. I had no damage at all and the entire process ran very smooth.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM

Burning, what's the question?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Find a moving company with a good reputation in your area where you live NOW. The loading is more important than the unloading, generally speaking, as more damage occurs from stuff that is packed improperly.

But if you main goal is to save the most amount of money, hire a U-haul and a bunch of college students. Consider the cost of breakage and damage. If you have nice stuff, you'll be better off with a reputable moving company. If you have crappy stuff, I'd ask the company if you can use some of the booty to buy new furniture when you get here rather than move the stuff you have now.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrul View Post
Burning, what's the question?
I thought that the moving company was quoting $20k. Then I reread your post. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area