Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 PM

46 posts, read 191,582 times

Advertisements

Enclave Villas located at 1225 N 36th St. zip 85008.

Are these nice townhomes...they seem like they were just recently built. What is the neighborhood like where they are located. Demographics age etc... any info would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking in Scottsdale and stumbled accross these townhomes...are they far from Scottsdale? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Most likely apartments recently flipped to condos. Not so happy neighborhood. Very close to the 202.

They are near Scottsdale but they are not Scottsdale.

The website is not there own website. It's a third party service. I looked at the photos across the street. Looks like a stucco & paint job to me.

But hey, I don't live in Phoenix anymore but I do know that area really well.

PhoenixCondoMania.com: ENCLAVE VILLAS: Condos and Lofts for Sale

The fact they say these condos are in the Builtmore District makes me nervous.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCop View Post
Enclave Villas located at 1225 N 36th St. zip 85008.

Are these nice townhomes...they seem like they were just recently built. What is the neighborhood like where they are located. Demographics age etc... any info would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking in Scottsdale and stumbled accross these townhomes...are they far from Scottsdale? Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know these specific townhomes, but the address is near McDowell Rd. and 36th St on the east side of Phoenix. There's a big stretch of land bounded by 36th St., 40th St., McDowell, and the 202 Freeway that's long been vacant. This development sounds like a step in building up that area. I'll be frank in saying that the older surrounding neighborhood is a modest one. I wouldn't characterize it as a horrible area, but it's somewhat lower income and can change from one block to another. Look carefully before making a decision.

As for proximity to Scottsdale, this location is about four miles west of the southern end of Scottsdale. Add another two or three miles to get to heart of Old Town Scottsdale. The Biltmore and Arcadia areas of Phoenix are upscale areas that are closer to this development than Scottsdale.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post

The fact they say these condos are in the Builtmore District makes me nervous.
Yes, that's quite a stretch. They're about three miles southeast of the real Biltmore area.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I know exactly where those apartments/condos are. See the thread that I started on East-Central Phoenix. The Enclave Villas itself, as well as the property next door, called the Indigo Palms, look pretty nice, at least to the eye. It's a gated community. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure they were built within the last five years. Whether it's a condo conversion or not, I'm not sure, but I can say it's not an old junky apartment. It's a very centrally located area, equidistant between downtown Phoenix and Tempe. Very close to the airport. It's not Scottsdale or Biltmore, and they're lying to you if they claim it is, but it's not too far from either one. There's also a couple of neat things in the area to check out, as you can find listed in my thread.

However nice the "Enclave" may be, here's what I have to say about the surrounding area: I disagree with Silverbear (who I greatly respect btw) calling it a "modest" area. A mile to the north or east, yes. However, go one half mile west until you get to McDowell and 32nd st, and you are in a VERY bad area. If you look at the city of Phoenix PD crime map, you'll see a big red bubble centered on that intersection. I've actually bicycled right through that area along the Grand Canal-- and I got to say, scary. First off, there were dozens and dozens of stray dogs running around. I also saw a dead dog that had been run over lying in the middle of the rd (on Oak st). There are tons of homeless people who live alongside the banks of the Grand canal where there is some shade. A lot of poor children playing in the streets. It's a pretty destitute site. The houses in the surrounding neighborhood are old and substandard. A lot of poorly constructed DIY shacks with tin roofs, chain link fences with bulldogs in the front yard. Also some some apartments that looked packed with people beyond capacity. I say it's an area packed with illegal immigrants-- though Silverbear says that's not necessarily so. Either way, it's pretty much all Spanish speaking. Right next to the property in question there are still vacant dirt lots, unsightly looking. I don't have any pictures of the really bad area, but here's a couple of pictures of the general vicinity to give you an idea:
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone give me information on this community...-dsc00523.jpg   Can anyone give me information on this community...-dsc00525.jpg   Can anyone give me information on this community...-dsc00533.jpg   Can anyone give me information on this community...-dsc00538.jpg  

Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM

46 posts, read 191,582 times
Thank you! I will continue my search in Scottsdale.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Also some some apartments that looked packed with people beyond capacity. I say it's an area packed with illegal immigrants-- though Silverbear says that's not necessarily so. Either way, it's pretty much all Spanish speaking.
Overpacked apartments are a pretty strong indication of the presence of illegal immigrants, so if you've observed those conditions during your explorations, then I think you're conclusion is probably a sound one. I don't like to see assumptions that people are illegal immigrants because of language or appearance, but since you seem to be basing your conclusions on additional evidence, I defer to your first-hand observations.

Funny, I used to ride my bike along the Grand Canal, but it's been a long, long time. Based on your report, I definitely wouldn't do it today -- not so much because of the people there, but because I won't go anywhere with unleashed dogs.

For the OP, based on VP's first-hand report and the deceptive claim that this building is in the Biltmore Area, I'd say that my initial post was definitely too optimistic and that you should avoid this development; however, you don't necessarily have to confine your search to Scottsdale. If you go north of Thomas Road, you'll get into Arcadia, a nice area on the east side of Phoenix. It's close to Old Town Scottsdale as well as Central Phoenix.

Last edited by exit2lef; 10-26-2007 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 07:35 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,029 times
What the hell is this?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
What the hell is this?

The Tovrea Castle.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Funny, I used to ride my bike along the Grand Canal, but it's been a long, long time. Based on your report, I definitely wouldn't do it today -- not so much because of the people there, but because I won't go anywhere with unleashed dogs.
I know what you mean. I'm afraid of dogs too. Actually most of the stray dogs I've seen in that area (the Grand Canal between Washington St and Thomas Rd, especially around 32nd & Mcdowell) looked like puppies. Either way though, I wouldn't want to mess around in that area any more. Isn't there some kind of Animal Control department that's supposed to deal with that stuff? Another thing really annoying about that canal (and the other canals in the Phoenix area) is that it abruptly ends at every major road with no light to cross at, no bridge or tunnel underneath to cross. And because the canals go diagnally, you have to risk your life dodging traffic crossing major streets every half mile.

Quote:
For the OP, based on VP's first-hand report and the deceptive claim that this building is in the Biltmore Area, I'd say that my initial post was definitely too optimistic and that you should avoid this development; however, you don't necessarily have to confine your search to Scottsdale. If you go north of Thomas Road, you'll get into Arcadia, a nice area on the east side of Phoenix. It's close to Old Town Scottsdale as well as Central Phoenix.
That's what's so weird about the Phoenix area-- the really good areas can be just a few short miles away from some really crummy areas. Sometimes it changes mile by mile. The general rule of thumb is the farther north you go, the nicer the area, although that doesn't hold hard and fast for every situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area