Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbie65 View Post
HI Motley, I've been to Prescott, this was in 2001 I believe. It was mid summer. I took a trip to meet up w/ friend, and explore Prescott, plus put closure to a relationship I had been involved in, he moved from N.Cal to Prescott. So.. I found Prescott FUN for a vacation never did explore much, carried ice water in car rental every WHERE, I went. Found the heat to be mountain dry heat. The mile high city of Prescott, had me drinking water all the time.. dont know if it was due to the elevation, me needing H2O, or what. As water is part oxygen. SO I found Pescott warm to hot but not like stepping out of PHX airport and feeling like I walked into a furnace blast til I boarded the shuttle to Prescott. See, this is what I'm worried about, in terms of stifling killer heat if I move to Sun City. Thought a cool air humidifier in a room would be an A/C saver expense, in my imaginings last night. What do you mean, by, "liking the retro look?" Older SC?? Do explain. I like older and newer all depending.. older can have a sense of history; ie: whisky row in Prescott. But knew that it was meant for tourist attraction. But I fit right in, and did the night life, and loved visiting there. Had A BALL. X BF notwithstanding.
Sun City was developed by Del Webb in 1960 and some of the original homes mirror a few that were being built in Palm Springs. We have a book with various Palm Springs mid century moderns in it and lowandbehold, there are a few here that look similar lol. I love mid century homes and the ones in Phoenix are way over our price point so we satisfied that itch and fell in love with this quirky place. Some people here buy them and try and stucco/remodel them to look like Trilogy/Vistancia and it just doesnt quite work lol. I like the original intent, and we kept ours fairly modern and the inside is very contemporary with concrete counters and lots of glass looking out to the back. It just gives me the feeling of southern CA back in the 60's 70's. The past is calling........
F.Y.I....there is also a lake community here that sits on.....a lake. The homes are a bit more money but we recently had a client take one down to the bones, redid the entire home and it is stunning inside. The view of the lake hits you when you first walk in now unlike the original floor plan which was dark and choppy, no view of the beautiful lake, just an AZ room..bletch. So you can find luxury here for pennies on the dollar in my opinion. Same with the golf course homes, very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 AM

214 posts, read 401,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I live in Sun City.

I think most residents are computer users since the email lists for the clubs I belong to are quite long.

Sun City has a constant influx of younger residents. The average age hardly changes since everyone already here ages as the younger people move in. If 1000 58 year olds move in and 1000 90 year olds die it wouldn't move the average age much since the other 36,000 people just got a little older.

Some social events are people as much as 40 years apart in age. The younger group with the younger and the older with the older. Others are more age specific. I belong to both types. Some are aimed at a younger crowd. I am sure their numbers will grow as more younger people move here.

One thing that surprised a person I was showing around was the rock music at the pools. I think they expected something older. The free concerts at the Sun Bowl seem to be aimed at a younger crowd this year, such as a Beatles tribute band and a horn funk fusion band that I can't remember the name of right now.

There are 9 dance clubs from line to ballroom to rock. Many types of music clubs. Many social clubs, some aimed at certain ages. The fitness centers have many of the younger residents using them. The tennis courts seem to be full of younger residents when I am there.

If you go to the rec center web site click on Sun Views and you will get a good idea of the things that are happening here. It will list all of the clubs, activities, and special events.

Too many of the older residents only do the old people activites so they never really see what the younger residents are doing.

Moving to Sun City was the best thing I ever did. No chance to get bored. Inexpensive to live here. So much to do that sometimes I have to schedule days to stay home. There are also many things close to but not in Sun City. Baseball lasts from mid February to Mid November with spring training, extended spring training, rookie league, instructional league, and Arizona Fall League. Socrates Cafe, if you like discussion groups are in several places in the Valley, including Sun City. Many shows at University of Phoenix stadium, Check their web site. It is only about 4 miles from the southern part of SC. Jobbing.com arena is right next to it. Check out their schedule online. Great shopping in Surprise and other nearby places.

I have heard people say the housing stock was too old in SC. Many changed their mind after they came here. Some of these places have been taken down to the frame and completely rebuilt. Many others have had a total remodel. Also many fix ups available if you would like to do it your way. I know 2 people that are doing that now.

By the way, bingo is a somewhat younger crowd since it is open to non SC residents. Still the oldsters but many much, much, younger people.
In addition to input from MotleyCrew and Nitram, this is an excellent and informative post.

We are the tail end of the baby boomers' generation and visited SC and SC West. We liked the original SC best as you get more for your money, although SC West was also very nice. We don't golf so that wasn't a factor at all in our selection.

We visited all of the 7 rec centers in the original SC and were amazed at all they had to offer. I should have brought a spreadsheet with me to keep it all straight. Everything was modern and clean. We expected Lawrence Welk style music to be playing, but all the centers seemed to be playing a good mix of 60s, 70s and 80s music. And I saw older folks in their 70s or 80s as well as people our age 50s and even younger (they must have been guests.)

All of the real estate we looked at seemed to be updated and all the areas (Phase I, II and III) that we visited were very clean and the pride of ownership stood out. IMO, there really isn't a "bad" area in SC.

If you want a lifestyle where you don't have to deal with yard maintenance and upkeep, I would suggest a condo or a duplex where you pay a HOA fee to have all that taken care of. They have risen in price over the past year. The SF homes seem to be stable and it looks like the prices are undergoing a "correction" somewhat downward in the past few months.

We looked at the newer over 55 communities in the PHX metro, but kept coming back to the original SC and that's where we will be in less than 2 years now. I'm excited about it. I think there are many folks like us in their mid-fifties and early 60s who are finding that SC has everything they can want in one area at an extremely affordable price.

I would be glad to DM anyone my realtor's contact information.

Oh and one thing, a lot of the "older" folks we came in contact with were very interesting and knowledgeable with great sense of humor, and no one shared their health conditions or problems with us. I think you can find commonality with almost anyone no matter what the age. Another thing I liked was that there were people who had relocated from all over the US and beyond.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM

47 posts, read 132,729 times
Smile TO: Ilikealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
In addition to input from MotleyCrew and Nitram, this is an excellent and informative post.

We are the tail end of the baby boomers' generation and visited SC and SC West. We liked the original SC best as you get more for your money, although SC West was also very nice. We don't golf so that wasn't a factor at all in our selection.

We visited all of the 7 rec centers in the original SC and were amazed at all they had to offer. I should have brought a spreadsheet with me to keep it all straight. Everything was modern and clean. We expected Lawrence Welk style music to be playing, but all the centers seemed to be playing a good mix of 60s, 70s and 80s music. And I saw older folks in their 70s or 80s as well as people our age 50s and even younger (they must have been guests.)

All of the real estate we looked at seemed to be updated and all the areas (Phase I, II and III) that we visited were very clean and the pride of ownership stood out. IMO, there really isn't a "bad" area in SC.

If you want a lifestyle where you don't have to deal with yard maintenance and upkeep, I would suggest a condo or a duplex where you pay a HOA fee to have all that taken care of. They have risen in price over the past year. The SF homes seem to be stable and it looks like the prices are undergoing a "correction" somewhat downward in the past few months.

We looked at the newer over 55 communities in the PHX metro, but kept coming back to the original SC and that's where we will be in less than 2 years now. I'm excited about it. I think there are many folks like us in their mid-fifties and early 60s who are finding that SC has everything they can want in one area at an extremely affordable price.

I would be glad to DM anyone my realtor's contact information.

Oh and one thing, a lot of the "older" folks we came in contact with were very interesting and knowledgeable with great sense of humor, and no one shared their health conditions or problems with us. I think you can find commonality with almost anyone no matter what the age. Another thing I liked was that there were people who had relocated from all over the US and beyond.
This is a very encouraging post, for learning all I can about SC. I just learned, that my friend who's moving to SCW to her new modern rented home, w/ pool, doesnt have to do any yard work or maintenance of the pool in the backyard, that the landlord is taking care of all of that. For, being an avid swimmer, and my 'tonic' for sleeping well, and gentle exercise, I was concerned that she had to pay for that, as I'm visiting SCW mid May. I want this to be a combo fun/biz adventure.
Where I live now, is a 55+ community. I own a nice mobile home, and yet I hate the space rent I pay, plus in it includes utilities, garbage, water, gas and electricity. I dont mind telling that it is basically $900 a mo. I have to do yard work, weeds are a constant annoyance, endless and annoying. I hate yard work. I've put in a new floor just pergo, to replace the cream carpet in my 'family' room which I use as my entertainment and computer room. I've had new linoliem in nice laundry room large enough to store my bike, and an extra old frig when I buy in bulk at Costco. I've upgraded and it is paid for. However, the current market and property taxes has it listed at 50% less than what I paid for it in 2006. Someone, had posted in another thread about the choice to live in a mobile hm park, being a real bad decision, with their rules, inspections, spying on for stuff in our carports; like living in a gold fish bowl, and gossipy neighbors. Well, thats been my experience. And on a personal note, I have felt 'let down' by my choice but LOVE my house. I just dont like park management governing and controlling, and if I decide on SC hope to find a more private way of life, but dont want to feel like I'm in a community like a nursing home environment, or "Gods' waiting room." Depressing. Love reading here in this post that they had music from 70s, on, and NO Lawrence Welk stuff. Im a baby boomer, child of the 50s, Teenager of the 60s, young adult of the 70s. So this post was wonderful to read and encouraging.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM

361 posts, read 748,402 times
The south end of Sun City (South of the corner of Grand Avenue & 99th Ave, to Olive) is the oldest part.

The north end is newer (mid-70's construction and newer), meaning 99th Avenue north of Thunderbird.

Sun City West is 1980's and newer, and the newest development off of Grand Avenue (Grand Avenue at Bell Road or Grand Avenue at Union Hills) is the latest.

The first Del Webb homes (the original unincorporated area) are starting to show their age and you might be able to find some good buys in there.

One editorial comment - my parents retired there in the early 70's and spent the happiest years of their lives there. The town is a planned community, and is so perfect in many ways that it an be tedious, or boring. That is, the streets are laid out in intricate designs, sometimes very confusing and everything is surrounded by squeaky clean white walls.

The town is a wonder to look at, and most people cannot imagine it's size or the sheer numbers of retirees that live there. There are recreation opportunities which span the entire spectrum of activities and they even have busses that take you on rips to many remote locations. Basically, you will never run out of things to do there.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

LOL. "God's waiting room"? No, I didn't get that impression at all. In fact, one of things that made a big impression on me was the fact that there were people older than our age group, who sadly, I felt were more active and in better shape than myself, lol. I was very impressed with the pools at the centers, and I used to belong to our Y here, but was not pleased with the cleanliness of the pools. You will see that they are immaculate and heated in SC. If you only get a chance to visit 2 of the 7 rec centers, visit the one on Bell and the Lakeview Center. Plus, I was floored by the amount of clubs they had. There is also an "under 67" club for folks in our age group, although anyone is free to join.

Here are some links I have bookmarked here that may be helpful. They were of interest to me, and sorry, but they are not in any logical order as I am going down a list.

I would caution you that no matter where you live where there is an HOA, you MAY run into folks that have nothing better to do, but mind others' business.

Best Friends Dog Club of Sun City AZ- Sign up for obedience & agility training classes

Deal keeps dog park in Sun City - Your West Valley News: Suncity

Computer Club of Sun City

Lifelong Learning Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

NextGen Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

RTTY_-_May_30_2012_-_site_design_2 » Page 1 of 6

Spanish Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Swim Club of Sun City | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Lakeview Woodworking Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Sheriff's S.C. Posse

Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc | Affordable Retirement Community in Sun City Arizona

Comparable Fees | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Sun City HOA Website

Condo Owners Association of Sun City AZ

Corporate Bylaws | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Del Webb Sun Cities Museum - Sun City Arizona

"sun city az" - YouTube

SC Organizations

Your West Valley News: Sun City

With all there is to do here, I can't see anyone being bored living here.

Forgot the link to the Bus Tours

http://sunaz.com/category/activities/

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 03-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Updated info

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

47 posts, read 132,729 times
Smile THANK you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
LOL. "God's waiting room"? No, I didn't get that impression at all. In fact, one of things that made a big impression on me was the fact that there were people older than our age group, who sadly, I felt were more active and in better shape than myself, lol. I was very impressed with the pools at the centers, and I used to belong to our Y here, but was not pleased with the cleanliness of the pools. You will see that they are immaculate and heated in SC. If you only get a chance to visit 2 of the 7 rec centers, visit the one on Bell and the Lakeview Center. Plus, I was floored by the amount of clubs they had. There is also an "under 67" club for folks in our age group, although anyone is free to join.

Here are some links I have bookmarked here that may be helpful. They were of interest to me, and sorry, but they are not in any logical order as I am going down a list.

I would caution you that no matter where you live where there is an HOA, you MAY run into folks that have nothing better to do, but mind others' business.

Best Friends Dog Club of Sun City AZ- Sign up for obedience & agility training classes

Deal keeps dog park in Sun City - Your West Valley News: Suncity

Computer Club of Sun City

Lifelong Learning Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

NextGen Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

RTTY_-_May_30_2012_-_site_design_2 » Page 1 of 6

Spanish Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Swim Club of Sun City | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Lakeview Woodworking Club | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Sheriff's S.C. Posse

Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc | Affordable Retirement Community in Sun City Arizona

Comparable Fees | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Sun City HOA Website

Condo Owners Association of Sun City AZ

Corporate Bylaws | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc

Del Webb Sun Cities Museum - Sun City Arizona

"sun city az" - YouTube

SC Organizations

Your West Valley News: Sun City

With all there is to do here, I can't see anyone being bored living here.

Forgot the link to the Bus Tours

Activities | Recreation Centers of Sun City, Inc
Thank you for these links... BUT, I'm confused, IF I RENT ONLY, there's no need to join some Home owners association, obviously. I dont want to own a house. Just want to simplify my life - what I pay in "space rent" here, I could get more bang for my buck after I sell this house and decide to move to SC and rent a place. Have a friend who bought a condo, and the HOA drove her nuts. She finally rented it out, moved back to her older home instead.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbie65 View Post
Thank you for these links... BUT, I'm confused, IF I RENT ONLY, there's no need to join some Home owners association, obviously. I dont want to own a house. Just want to simplify my life - what I pay in "space rent" here, I could get more bang for my buck after I sell this house and decide to move to SC and rent a place. Have a friend who bought a condo, and the HOA drove her nuts. She finally rented it out, moved back to her older home instead.

The HOA is for the homes in the neighborhood. Renting or buying has nothing to do with it. They have basic, common sense rules that you and everyone else would have to abide by.

My condo HOA has never told me to do something or change anything. It is mostly for common area maintenence. They are not the busybodies that some people complain about in their HOA.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I'm in Sun City West and I rented for a year. I have 5 months left on my lease. I will not be renewing it as I have decided, Retirement Communities in the USA are not for me. Plus there have been problems with the house. I found the homeowner seemed to want to rely on me, more than a landlord should involve a tenant in home repairs. One thing I have noticed or learned in the almost 7 months here is this. Just because someone retires does not mean we are all the same. We all or should have different likes/dislikes and needs as we age. Retirement does not mean one size fits all. That we all buy a home in a 55+ community, and find out many of these communities are for an older crowd. We can't all afford to live in some of these higher priced communities, that seem to attrack a younger retiree. Also not everyone is going to be interested in the type of clubs they have. Many are again for an older resident and there seems to be very little interest in facing reality. A 50 and a 60 something that has any life in them at all. Well they are going to wonder why is all this 40's and 50's maybe some early 60's music always playing. A red warning flag. In other words the community needs to face the facts. Catch up with the times if you want to attrack that younger retiree. For us its 70's 80's and 90's not World War II and Guy Lombardo or the 50's Era. Or how else is the community going to stay in business. Older residents sad as it is. Do die off. f you want to attract that younger retiree then put some effort into it. Otherwise it can take on an unwelcoming feeling.

With that said. I think Sun City West is an attractive place to live. It is well kept and landscaped. It has a safe feeling to living here. There are plenty of sidewalks so one doesn't have to walk in the streets. Numerous grocery stores. However I think one has to really think about what they are getting into. Especially the resident that is buying. Also for the person renting. I do not feel at least at SCW that long term renting is a good idea. I think the property prefers home buyers here and not the long term renter.

In closing I will just say this. Again we are all different and one must consider the life they are coming from, before setting up shop in Retirement Communities. Personally I think they are not very diversified in population and are very conservative. That is all well and good if one is use to that, and wants to continue that in retirement. I guess I was not and found I prefer to live in mixed age communites that are closer to actual cities. Which I did not find Phoenix to be, and it way to far, with a terrible road system in and out of this particular area.

ALso in closing I think it would be a great idea. if instead of building homes and golf courses and little shops for retirees here. How about an actual Shuttle bus that makes stops at all these venues and the many rec centers. In other words many of the people here have no business being behing a steering wheel. EIther they feel they have to drive, or they are not interested in walking at least in close proximity to anything. To me that was pitiful getting from A to B was never addressed by the developers for the older person. Im talking shuttle bus not a call up and get a ride from some outfit and pay a fee.

Think about the life your coming from and the one here. If they fit more power to you. Still I think many retirees are not really cut out for this type of life. Especially if they find they are giving up parts of their life, that are very important to them. Or they find they are not interacting with people in their own age group and mindset, fitness level, A number of things. Just really think it thru and rent first.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Sun City West only has one grocery store at the present, a Safeway. There is a planned Fry's grocer in the future Sundome Shopping Center across from the Safeway.

There once was a Dial-Ride shuttle service in Sun City but it closed down a couple of years ago for lack of funds. SC and SCW have been trying to get a another shuttle service to come in but there is not enough riders to warrant the business. The Discount Cab is the only sevice now and it's a fee run operation. Most residents here are in love with their vehicles, autos or golf cars, and yes some should not be out driving on the road. Golf cars here especially don't obey the laws. One ran through a stop sign today in front of me and I nearly T-boned him. When i blew my horn he about jumped out of his unbuckled seat and it looked as if he needed to go get a change of pants.

Agree the Sun Cities are not for everyone. If you want children and young adults mixed in, then those cities are the wrong place for you. The Sun Cities are a certain way of life with amenities intended for retirees. I recommend anyone desiring to live here to rent for at least a year to see if it fits their style.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM

To Sorbie65 - you are welcome. I provided more links than you really needed, just in case you wanted to see them or read up on them. I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions, and made a couple of visits before I made up my mind. The links I posted were almost entirely for the original Sun City.

Jimrob and nitram make some very good points and have given good advice. This type of lifestyle is not for everyone. I prefer having a COA or HOA that takes care of the outside of my place at this phase in my life so my time is free to enjoy the amenties and/or join a club on the weekends.

Life is short. You have to do what makes you happy. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area