Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,192,256 times

Advertisements

To add my 2-cents to the hospital recommendations above re Mayo... If your SO would enjoy a much smaller version of a Lenox Hill-type facility, Mayo is definitely a place to consider. If she enjoys a Beth Israel Medical Center environment, not so much. If she's more the Bellevue type, (not NYU Langone), she would probably hate working at Mayo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM

364 posts, read 1,975,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't necessarily agree that $72k is "good" anywhere, but a lot will depend on where you work. As others mentioned, the valley is deceivingly large, so where you work is going to dictate where you live to some extent. Do you know where your office will be?
Banner Health system in Mesa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The Valley is always in need of competent RN's but many jobs at the top hospitals are pretty competitive anymore. I'd highly suggest she apply to the Mayo in Scottsdale- by far the best Medical Center in the Southwest. I wouldn't mess around with Banner Baywood from experience with friends who are BSN's that have worked there before. The Mayo is definitely that place your SO wants to apply if she has some experience under her belt.
Thanks for the advise! I'll tell her to star looking into it.

Ironically, I'll be working with the Banner Health system but not at the location you mentioned. Banner seems to have a good reputation as a system. They go all the way from Alaska down to TX. But you are right, some of their facilities do not have great reviews. I hope I'll be ok in Mesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I disagree. There is no reason to move all the way out to central PHX when you already know you're working in Mesa. It's one thing to make the drive if/when there's something you want to do, but a mandatory five day a week round-trip for work would get old real fast, particularly when there are many nice neighborhoods closer to work.

Congratulations and welcome.
Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

582 posts, read 1,477,297 times
On the bright side, you will be leaving the humdity and balminess of the Northeast, and coming to the triple digit dry heat of the Southwest.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
On the bright side, you will be leaving the humdity and balminess of the Northeast, and coming to the triple digit dry heat of the Southwest.
I am sick and tired of the weather here. Half the year it rains, the other half it snows. This year so far we haven't seen a lot of sunny days. It is raining right now as I type these words

As an outdoors person this drives me crazy. Yeah, the big city is glamorous with its concerts, culture, great restaurants and bars, etc. But that fades away after a couple of years. I've had my "NYC experience", and am ready to move on.

So I am willing to experience the triple digit heat

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,567,925 times
Since you'll be working in Mesa, I'd look in Chandler or Tempe. Both are very nice with relatively low costs of living.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Since you'll be working in Mesa, I'd look in Chandler or Tempe. Both are very nice with relatively low costs of living.
Thanks so much.

I'll be looking into those towns!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM

102 posts, read 413,611 times
You will like Tempe or Chandler for starting a family and the Mesa commute will be relatively easy. Don't go north of the 202 and use the 101. Bad at rush hour (the 101 going both ways through Scottsdale).

Personally, I think you'd like Tempe because you're young and used to a more eclectic and cultural environment. So many things to see and do in that area on both sides of the river, and it's close to downtown and the Paradise Valley Mountains and South Mountain and the mountains out east (Superstitions, etc.)

To me, it seems like a good move. I would never live in NYC though I like visiting there. This is a great area to raise kids if you live in a good area.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
You will like Tempe or Chandler for starting a family and the Mesa commute will be relatively easy. Don't go north of the 202 and use the 101. Bad at rush hour (the 101 going both ways through Scottsdale).

Personally, I think you'd like Tempe because you're young and used to a more eclectic and cultural environment. So many things to see and do in that area on both sides of the river, and it's close to downtown and the Paradise Valley Mountains and South Mountain and the mountains out east (Superstitions, etc.)

To me, it seems like a good move. I would never live in NYC though I like visiting there. This is a great area to raise kids if you live in a good area.
How do you know that I am young?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM

357 posts, read 709,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
How do you know that I am young?
That was actually my question...how old are you? Different areas have vastly different age demographics as you can imagine. Would help a little bit.

Also, you can live north of the 202. I used to live right off Indian School and the 101 (Scottsdale) and commuted to chandler which is a reverse commute and got to work in under 20 minutes. It starts to get crowded heading northbound in the afternoons around Chaparral but that still leaves a lot of South and Central Scottsdale available to you. Also, I live in Scottsdale and love it. Based on my lifestyle I'm happy to pay a little extra but I agree it's not for everyone...just like Gilbert isn't for me (being mid 20's and child free).

Plus, since you're in healthcare will you even be working traditional 8-5 days?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
That was actually my question...how old are you? Different areas have vastly different age demographics as you can imagine. Would help a little bit.

Also, you can live north of the 202. I used to live right off Indian School and the 101 (Scottsdale) and commuted to chandler which is a reverse commute and got to work in under 20 minutes. It starts to get crowded heading northbound in the afternoons around Chaparral but that still leaves a lot of South and Central Scottsdale available to you. Also, I live in Scottsdale and love it. Based on my lifestyle I'm happy to pay a little extra but I agree it's not for everyone...just like Gilbert isn't for me (being mid 20's and child free).

Plus, since you're in healthcare will you even be working traditional 8-5 days?
I'm in my mid-30s.

And yes, I will be working traditional days but with very long hours. So I'll be spending a LOT of time outside of apartment.

YOu said you live in Scottsdale. Generally speaking, are prices really that much higher there? I''m to rent a 2 bedroom apartment. I've been looking at some websites already, but wanted to have an opinion from somebody that actually lives in the Scottsdale area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area