Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM

13 posts, read 27,588 times

Advertisements

I am 25, and my wife and I are moving to Phoenix AZ this June. I am currently a teacher, but open for a new career in corporate america. My wife is a oral surgery assistant. We have two small dogs. We have only lived in MN, and are ready for some warmer weather. We are a lesbian couple who are very active in our community and like to get out and have a good time. I am interested to know thoughts of moving to AZ as far as daily life, summers, jobs, small dogs, the heat, the differences, the similarities, fun things to do there and so forth. Really open to any and all information you can share with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM

41 posts, read 60,352 times
Iam from MN as well and will be moving to Az hopefully at the end of the summer.... Do you know what part of AZ you want to live in??

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 27,588 times
Thats exciting! We are moving to Northern Phoenix, what about you? Why are you moving there?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Most people I know go to MN in the summer to cool off from AZ. It's gonna be hot here but you'll eventually adapt.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM

164 posts, read 838,101 times
I moved to the Phoenix area from the Twin Cities 5 years ago (born and raised in Coon Rapids) and have not regretted it one bit. Summers are brutally hot, no way to sugar-coat it, but think about January in Minnesota with the -20 temps and bone-chilling cold......

You'll love it here!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM

41 posts, read 60,352 times
I am hoping to either move to Central Phx or Chandler, not sure yet. I fly down in May to look around. I am moving out of MN becuase MN is too cold, boring and there is nothing in MN but good paying jobs and nice schools. I am bored with MN, time to try something new.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 AM

64 posts, read 134,017 times
I'm actually looking to move out of here (I can't find a job)

But some nice things about Phoenix are:
There's lots of mountains to hike. The Phoenix Zoo is great. The Botanical Gardens is interesting. There are several water parks if you have children, you may even have your own pool (depending on where you live) which can be nice. If you go the apartment route, almost every apartment complex here has a pool. Homes can be both cheap and expensive here depending on where you live.

One thing thats kind of different from other areas of the country people kind of keep to them selves here. Its not uncommon to just say hello to your neighbor and then have a short conversation every other month. Theres not a whole lot of community here (from what I've found). It gets hot, very hot! It is bearable if you have an AC in your car and home, but you may find your self staying inside or by the pool.

I don't know much about teaching jobs here, if their available or not. I know there's been over crowding issues here in the past so they may need more teachers. Business jobs, I have a business degree myself fresh out of college and so far I can't even get interviews (but that dosen't mean you won't especially if you have experience). There are allot of openings for call centers and retail positons here, but unfortunately the wages are close to minimum wage and part-time.

As far as living, I do not recommend the east valley if you're LGBT. Tempe or Scottsdale are a much better place. Overall Phoenix is conservative and republican (especially the east valley) and some people do have a problem if they find out your LGBT. Tempe is where Arizona State University is and is pretty liberal (compared to the rest of the valley) and Scottsdale is kind of the expensive part of town but also more "California-ish" if that makes sense and might be more LGBT friendly. For younger people they mostly flock to Scottsdale or Tempe because of the bars/night clubs. Phoenix it self is older and neighborhoods vary based on location. You have good areas and you have bad areas kind of like swiss cheese with its holes if that makes sense. I've had LGBT friends who left the state because of problems with intolerance here. I do think it is slowly improving though, with all the implants that constantly are coming here. This city is still very heavily Mormon (east valley) and Catholic/Other (the rest of the valley) so there is a heavy religious presence here. Edit: I know that Phoenix it self does have an Gay community towards the center of Phoenix, but I don't know anything about it.

Don't drink in drive here, unless you want to visit tent city (a jail outside in the desert). Crime can be bad here in certain areas, best to ask around in the area you plan to move to if you can't tell by looking at the area.

Most of the people I talk to who are new to this area (like everyone), seem to love it here. Be prepared to drive. This place is ultra car dependent and a long drive to go anywhere. You grocery stores will be close by, but everything here is very spread out. This place is set up like suburb, strip mall, suburb, repeat.

Housing is cheap compared to the NE and West Coast Costal cities. Rural parts of the midwest and the south will be cheaper.

Drink lots of water.

Again I know plenty of people who love it here. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota2warmer View Post
Thats exciting! We are moving to Northern Phoenix, what about you? Why are you moving there?
Welcome to the Area!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM

555 posts, read 861,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenicepartsoflife View Post

As far as living, I do not recommend the east valley if you're LGBT. Tempe or Scottsdale are a much better place.
Tempe/Scottsdale are the east valley

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Tempe/Scottsdale are the east valley
Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek are what I consider the EV. Tempe and Scottsdale are like in the center and I wouldn't consider them EV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area