Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times

Advertisements

There is a 2000 sq ft house in my complex that has been under remodel for 7.5 months with a skeleton crew and it's testing my patience and that of my immediate neighbors. The HOA Board seems indifferent and doesn't enforce construction hours violations either. The recorded owner who I have never seen lives out of state and I am 95% sure he hasn't ever been on-site to look at or oversee the remodel. The crew foreman keeps giving neighbors bogus answers or empty promises on the completion date. I remember in December he said the house would be finished by Christmas, then the first week of February he said two weeks, then on March 1 he said two weeks, etc. I've mentioned the prolonged remodel time and hours violations to the board, but they seem to look the other way and don't want to take any action. Hence, my suggestion of a rule on time limits for remodels. I don't want other owners to follow suit and spend 8 or more months on a remodel that should take three months max, giving lots of people grief along the way. A neighborhood shouldn't be a perpetual construction zone. I'm not an HOA gestapo type person. A weed or two in front yard doesn't ruin my day nor does a car parked on the street overnight. Hearing construction noise, workers working past 5:00pm, working on Sundays and Holidays in violation of the CC&R's, for 8 months does.

Since I foresee other units being remodeled in the future, I don't want the complex to be a perpetual construction zone with skeleton crews and slow as molasses remodelers who take 8 or more months to remodel (inside only and small back yard) a tract house that can probably be demolished and rebuilt from scratch in 3 months. What do you all think of the following proposal?

REMODEL/CONSTRUCTION TIME LIMITS
"A unit owner must specify a time period within which the proposed unit renovation project will be completed. Time periods in excess of three months shall be subject to approval by the HOA Board of Directors. The Board may grant one extension of the original completion date for good cause shown to the satisfaction of the Board, subject to any additional conditions (including but not limited to, the imposition of monetary charges on a daily or flat fee basis). The extension time period shall be based upon the scope of the unit renovation work, the scheduling of Association work, and the unit renovation work being performed on a diligent and on-going basis. Excusable delays shall be limited to only interruptions due to labor strikes, Acts of God and governmental moratorium. Any further extension of time beyond the aforementioned Board approved extension shall require payment by the unit owner of a daily charge of $100 for every day or fraction thereof. The homeowner must furnish to the HOA Board of Directors upon the initial application their contact information and that of the person responsible for the construction process."

Do any of your HOA's have time limits on remodeling/renovation activity and if so, how has it worked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
You have rules and your HOA board apparently has the authority to enforce them. That's where you need to apply pressure, unless you think shunning is going to help.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
You have rules and your HOA board apparently has the authority to enforce them. That's where you need to apply pressure, unless you think shunning is going to help.
You're right, but for some reason they aren't interested. Can't understand why?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Why would another rule help, when they arent enforcing the existing rules - ie, time of work?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,549 times
there are time limits on construction permits.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
there are time limits on construction permits.
But you dont need a permit to repair drywall, replace cabinets, tile, paint, etc.. you need permits for structural changes, moving or adding circuits, etc.. most flippers & rehabbers can do everything without a permit on a "standard" flip.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM

768 posts, read 1,759,505 times
HOA's are famous for selective rule enforcement...document, document, document...you never know what path a tiny PITA can take.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
There is a 2000 sq ft house in my complex that has been under remodel for 7.5 months with a skeleton crew and it's testing my patience and that of my immediate neighbors. The HOA Board seems indifferent and doesn't enforce construction hours violations either. The recorded owner who I have never seen lives out of state and I am 95% sure he hasn't ever been on-site to look at or oversee the remodel. The crew foreman keeps giving neighbors bogus answers or empty promises on the completion date. I remember in December he said the house would be finished by Christmas, then the first week of February he said two weeks, then on March 1 he said two weeks, etc. I've mentioned the prolonged remodel time and hours violations to the board, but they seem to look the other way and don't want to take any action. Hence, my suggestion of a rule on time limits for remodels. I don't want other owners to follow suit and spend 8 or more months on a remodel that should take three months max, giving lots of people grief along the way. A neighborhood shouldn't be a perpetual construction zone. I'm not an HOA gestapo type person. A weed or two in front yard doesn't ruin my day nor does a car parked on the street overnight. Hearing construction noise, workers working past 5:00pm, working on Sundays and Holidays in violation of the CC&R's, for 8 months does.

Since I foresee other units being remodeled in the future, I don't want the complex to be a perpetual construction zone with skeleton crews and slow as molasses remodelers who take 8 or more months to remodel (inside only and small back yard) a tract house that can probably be demolished and rebuilt from scratch in 3 months. What do you all think of the following proposal?

REMODEL/CONSTRUCTION TIME LIMITS
"A unit owner must specify a time period within which the proposed unit renovation project will be completed. Time periods in excess of three months shall be subject to approval by the HOA Board of Directors. The Board may grant one extension of the original completion date for good cause shown to the satisfaction of the Board, subject to any additional conditions (including but not limited to, the imposition of monetary charges on a daily or flat fee basis). The extension time period shall be based upon the scope of the unit renovation work, the scheduling of Association work, and the unit renovation work being performed on a diligent and on-going basis. Excusable delays shall be limited to only interruptions due to labor strikes, Acts of God and governmental moratorium. Any further extension of time beyond the aforementioned Board approved extension shall require payment by the unit owner of a daily charge of $100 for every day or fraction thereof. The homeowner must furnish to the HOA Board of Directors upon the initial application their contact information and that of the person responsible for the construction process."

Do any of your HOA's have time limits on remodeling/renovation activity and if so, how has it worked out?
There's your answer <bold> so now it's time to go to an HOA meeting and bring it up. Have several copies of the above to hand to the BOD then ask about the ONE extension, how long,when was it etc.
Also if you read your CC&R's most say that your rights as an individual homeowner to enforce them stay intact. In other words, even if the BOD refuses to a rule in the CC&R's a homeowner can enforce it.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 AM

Do any of you live in a neighborhood where it takes 10 months to remodel a 2,000 sq ft house and where contractors work after 5:00 or 6:00pm, depending on the season and on Sundays?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
You're right, but for some reason they aren't interested. Can't understand why?
You and the other neighbors who are bothered/concerned about this need to GO TO A BOD MEETING. Don't just send emails and make phone calls (phone calls are worthless as they don't even document anything). Get involved, which wakes up the BOD.

And document your complaints, especially about the after hours work. Take photos, maybe make audio tapes, and write down the details, time, date, license plate number on autos, type of work being done, etc. in a journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area