Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 27,588 times

Advertisements

We are moving from MN to Phoenix AZ (Near Union Hills in northern Phoenix) and have two small dogs. One is a Yorkie and the other is a poodle ****zu. Both under 10 lbs.

We are worried about having to board our dogs if we need to be gone a weekend or something. Know of any good boarding places? Or people/companies who stay at your house to dog sit?

What about dog parks? Are there small dog parks?

Good places/parks to walk our dogs?

Anything to look out for or beware of? We know scorpions and such, but anything else we should be aware of before bringing them down there?

Any other facts regarding dogs in AZ area is welcomed! Wish us luck, we are driving down with them (26 our drive) in June!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

52 posts, read 130,245 times
I too will be moving in a couple months and have to small shih tzu's. I am in the process of trying to find a good vet and groomer. I hope you will get some good answers :-)

Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Second Home Pet Resort at 7th Street & Thunderbird is a nice place for dogs to stay while you’re away.

There’s dog park I think near Union Hills area at Cave Creek Rd & Grovers Ave.

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Dog Parks

Rose Mofford Sports Complex Dog Park Phoenix | Phoenix.org

Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Coyotes are a definite threat to smaller dogs. Back in MI, we would let our dogs out to do their thing while we stayed warm in the house. We don't let them outside without us since moving here. Use common sense like and you'll be fine, but realize they are a threat to dogs in the valley.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times
Just make sure they are spayed/microchipped (in case they get lose)/and current on vaccines

I go to a GREAT vet and have a GREAT boarding place, but it's more Central Phoenix.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

13 posts, read 27,588 times
Sounds great! Thanks everyone

Central is okay, we are only renting at first and then looking for something more permanent as we stay. So northern Phoenix isn't a forever. What are the great places you speak of @subconsciousme ?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
I take my dog, all the time, to the Washington dog park. Its on 23rd. Ave between Glendale ave and Bethany hm rd. Pretty much next to Washington high school. Its a great dog park. Has both large and small dog park areas. There are a few other closer dog parks near union hills, however, I find most of these parks lack shade. As for boarding. I recommend making a really good friend and having them watch your dog while u r away. My dog freaked out when I boarded her. She had stressed out so much the first day she had bloody stool. We actually had to come back and pick her up and take us with us on our mini vacation to flagstaff. She got so depressed. Lol. My fiance used to do dog sitting for some of her clients she cleans houses for. Its much much much cheaper and they get to stay in a familiar place. Good luck on whatever you decide. Oh, and if you want to check out an awesome dog park, Cosmo dog park in Gilbert, az. Its got a beach and a lake. A far drive no doubt, but totally worth watching your dog fly off of the concrete pier and into the lake. I've got a yellow lab, so she absolutely loves the water. PM me if you need further advice on dog parks, seeing as I been to dang near all of them in phx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area