U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,391,249 times

Advertisements

The beach of course but not CA. You all know what I'm going to say!
Cape cod. Well, Power Ball, then Nantucket Island. But if I were forced to choice it would be Cali. Even though
I was in the Northridge Quake. It would still be worth it.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 AM

3,368 posts, read 6,332,283 times
I've always said the same thing...that Phoenix is a compromise. Although some people would choose to live here if money was no object, I believe the majority would not. Phoenix isn't really the ideal place, but it's not as bad as other areas so therefore it makes a good compromise between cost of living, weather, amenities, etc.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,771,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I agree. Most people really like living around their families. Especially when they get older (40's-50's). I know I sure miss mine.....
Hey, I resent that! I'm 52 and I am not older...

I'm OLD, period .

I love the valley. I love hot weather. But if money were no object, we'd be in the Big Sur/Carmel area, not Newport Beach. To me, that 20+ mile stretch along the coast is the most beautiful place on the planet. I'd still come back to the valley in the late spring/summer for 2 or 3 months every year though. (Second choice would be Wrightsville Beach, NC).

Here's a "live" webcam shot from the patio of Nepenthe's restaurant in Big Sur, overlooking the Pacific. You can refresh it every two minutes or so. It's a fixture on my desktop.
http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/images/b.jpg

Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,306,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Hey, I resent that! I'm 52 and I am not older...

I'm OLD, period .

I love the valley. I love hot weather. But if money were no object, we'd be in the Big Sur/Carmel area, not Newport Beach. To me, that 20+ mile stretch along the coast is the most beautiful place on the planet. I'd still come back to the valley in the late spring/summer for 2 or 3 months every year though. (Second choice would be Wrightsville Beach, NC).

Here's a "live" webcam shot from the patio of Nepenthe's restaurant in Big Sur, overlooking the Pacific. You can refresh it every two minutes or so. It's a fixture on my desktop.
http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/images/b.jpg

Oh I forgot about Carmel......Beautiful!!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:40 PM

48 posts, read 162,962 times
Hmmm, we are originally from California (wife born and raised for most of her life, still have family there) and pretty much hate it no matter where in Cali we were. So thats out of the question.

That leaves Arizona. But we don't want to be around the Phoenix area at all for many reasons. If we won the lottery we would rather be farther out away from people, build a fortress in the middle of 500 acres and fence it all in. Probably somewhere between Lake Havesu and Kingman, since it seemed there was alot of wide open space last time I was through there.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 5,419,554 times
Newport Beach, CA without a second thought! THE BEACH! NPB blows Scottsdale away. Anyone can sit in a pool, but the ocean is a luxury!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 PM

43,168 posts, read 20,143,246 times
If you won the Lottery, all that money would last you for the rest of your life and your children's life in Arizona, but only 2 or 3 weeks in California!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:13 AM

20,582 posts, read 16,884,040 times
Um, that isnt 'entirely' true.
In many parts of Az, since the housing boom thing, it was getting hard to afford to live there (on Az wages). Even rentals had gone up. If a person already owns property, sure, thats one thing because they are all set. And some rentals here in this area, are 'close to' what one would have had to pay out there, in many cases.
But if a person wants to compare, that much money could last forever in places like Oklahoma, Iowa, S Dakota, Alabama, Georgia.....

Last edited by wisconsin woman; 10-28-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,682,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Um, that isnt 'entirely' true.
In many parts of Az, since the housing boom thing, it was getting hard to afford to live there. Even rentals had gone up. If a person already owns property, sure, thats one thing because they are all set. And some rentals here in this area, are 'close to' what one would have had to pay out there, only on Az wages.
But if a person wants to compare, that much money could last forever in places like Oklahoma, Iowa, S Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, too.
Housing costs are crashing here almost by the day-----and, that is not counting core inflation.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:16 AM

20,582 posts, read 16,884,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Housing costs are crashing here almost by the day-----and, that is not counting core inflation.

Thats the good news, for many who still want to buy. Its crashing everywhere. Wish rentals would go back down, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area