Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,033 times

Advertisements

I searched and didn't find much recent info on this area. We are looking at houses in areas within a 30 minute drive from Chandler and found some interesting homes near 40th and McDowell, specifically in the area between McDowell and Oak, between 37th St and 40th St. How is this area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Just drove through there this morning, by coincidence. Older homes, working class area, not a lot of shopping options; if schools are an issue, not a very good spot. I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to be within 30 minutes of Chandler, why not Chandler itself?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
What is "interesting" about it? It is an older area, and somewhat spotty, unless you are looking at a home built in the late 50's early 60's that you could do some updating on.

There actually is quite a bit of shopping that is right down the street. Wal-Mart and Home Depot is right up the street at 36th Street and Thomas, plus a 24 hour Walgreens. At 44th Street between Oak and Thomas is a huge shopping center that used to be the site of Thomas Mall. There is a nice Fry's, Ross, Office Max, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Sears, Costco, all the major banks, lots of restaurants, 2 Food City stores, and it is only about a 10-12 minute drive to Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall and 10 minutes from The Biltmore area also with top of the line shopping and restaurants.

If you are looking for an area to live in with a more uniform type of demographic and newer tract homes, you are better off in Chandler. If on the other hand you are looking to find an older home with mature landscaping which you can hopefully get at a LOW price and upgrade it, then your proximity to virtually EVERYTHING you could want is within 10 minutes or so from you in either direction,including the airport.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
Not sure it would be a 30 minute drive to Chandler. If you are a 8-5 worker the drive is heavily congested to and from. Sorry, I would look for something substantially closer to Chandler or, maybe something (further east) like Queen Creek - the prices are lower and the housing is mostly a lot newer.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
10 to 12 minutes to Fashion Square? Please, let's try not to minimize too much. Biltmore is not for daily shopping, or for anyone on a budget.

I'm aware of the shopping along Thomas, but that's not as close as one would find in other neighborhoods, and it's a pretty congested area as well.

The commute would be in reverse, so depending on where in Chandler, 30 minutes might very well work. I would not live in that area and drive to Chandler, though.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
I like that area. Cheap homes, easy freeway access, mature landscaping, tons of shopping along Thomas, and right by Papago Park. I would stay closer to Thomas than McDowell though. Not out of safety concerns or anything, there are just lots of billboards/pawn shops/etc along McDowell so it's not the nicest street.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
You'll want to avoid the neighborhoods west of 40th street between McDowell and Thomas. Not dangerous but just poor, kinda run down and junky looking. Some really nice older homes between 44th street and 64th street and between McDowell and Camelback. It's one of the older areas of the city with a lot more green trees and grass then the burbs. The closer you get to Camelback the nicer the homes get and the homes on the south side of Camelback Mountain are positively stupid huge and expensive, like $5mil. Why an interest in this area? Why not just live in Chandler where you could get more for your money? Are you just trying to avoid having to buy one of those ugly a$$ brown, stucco cookie cutter homes in Chandler/Gilbert?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 18,033 times
Thanks for the many responses! Some more details: we have family near I-17 and 101, so would prefer to be about half way between them and work. We didn't really see much in Chandler that looked unique or interesting, seemed like it was mostly newer tract homes. Would much prefer an older home, Encanto, Willo, or Coronado would be great but are too far from work. We need to keep it under $300k. The commute would be to Chandler near Arizona Ave and Ray Rd. Google maps shows it as about 30 minutes and opposite rush hour traffic both ways.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
...There actually is quite a bit of shopping that is right down the street. Wal-Mart and Home Depot is right up the street at 36th Street and Thomas, plus a 24 hour Walgreens. At 44th Street between Oak and Thomas is a huge shopping center that used to be the site of Thomas Mall. There is a nice Fry's, Ross, Office Max, Target, Burlington Coat Factory, Sears, Costco, all the major banks, lots of restaurants, 2 Food City stores...If...you are looking to find an older home with mature landscaping which you can hopefully get at a LOW price and upgrade it, then your proximity to virtually EVERYTHING you could want is within 10 minutes or so from you in either direction,including the airport.
I agree on all counts. That area would be extremely convenient for shopping with all the big box stores and more right up the street. My family frequents those areas for shopping and you have a good selection of everything. Plus it would be very convenient living less than a mile from a 24hr Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The commute would be in reverse, so depending on where in Chandler, 30 minutes might very well work...
Exactly. You will be traveling down the freeway Eastbound at 75 MPH while looking at all the suckers traveling Westbound stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Why not just live in Chandler where you could get more for your money? Are you just trying to avoid having to buy one of those ugly a$$ brown, stucco cookie cutter homes in Chandler/Gilbert?
LOL! Good post, that made me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor C View Post
Thanks for the many responses! Some more details: we have family near I-17 and 101, so would prefer to be about half way between them and work. We didn't really see much in Chandler that looked unique or interesting, seemed like it was mostly newer tract homes. Would much prefer an older home, Encanto, Willo, or Coronado would be great but are too far from work. We need to keep it under $300k. The commute would be to Chandler near Arizona Ave and Ray Rd. Google maps shows it as about 30 minutes and opposite rush hour traffic both ways.
Coronado and Wilo wouldn't put you all that much further than the neighborhood we're talking about, just a little bit. However you will pay a little more for a property in Coronado, and a lot more for a property in Wilo. I think if your benchmark is $300k I would definitely exclude Wilo (because of cost), and Encanto (due to both cost and distance). It couldn't hurt to include Coronado in your search parameters, you never know.

But in regard to the neighborhood in question, I would say it's a decent area. It's not a prestigious area, and your not going to impress anyone with your address, but your not going to be unsafe either. It is most definitely a very convenient location to shopping and a quick shot to the 202, I-10, 51, 143, 60, not to mention downtown Phoenix and the airport. You could also possibly get a great deal on a house, even more so if you are willing to generate some sweat equity.

I have family in that neighborhood (on 34th & Cambridge) and they love the area. They have never had any problems with safety or anything like that. I will admit that it is a fairly Hispanic area, but in my mind that isn't a problem. There are however, people who want to live in Caucasian only areas. I'm not going to comment or voice my opinion on that, cuz that's a whole other can of worms LOL

So in a nutshell, yes, I would recommend that area positively to you. Of course, the easiest commute to Chandler would be from a house in Chandler. But if you have decided that you want to live half-way between your family and your work, then the area you are looking at would be an excellent place for you.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
10 to 12 minutes to Fashion Square? Please, let's try not to minimize too much. Biltmore is not for daily shopping, or for anyone on a budget.

I'm aware of the shopping along Thomas, but that's not as close as one would find in other neighborhoods, and it's a pretty congested area as well.

The commute would be in reverse, so depending on where in Chandler, 30 minutes might very well work. I would not live in that area and drive to Chandler, though.
I drive to those stores there all the time. How is a 1/2 mile to a mile drive to the store less than one might find in other neighborhoods? Unless one lives right next door literally to the grocery store, how much closer can you get anywhere else? It is a VERY close drive from there to Fashion Square and Biltmore. Again, I drive that area and shop those stores ALL the time. Everyone who lives in Central East Phoenix who wants to go to Wal-Mart or Home Depot goes to the one on Thomas and 36th Street. Their other locations are out in the burbs.

That said, and now that I know your reason for looking there, I agree with El_Waiboi. The Coronado area homes most likely will be more expensive than this south of Arcadia area. You will get more square footage in the area between Thomas and Mc Dowell and 36th and 40th Street for your money. They area is more spotty with some run down properties in the mix, and the area is more Latino.

However, right up the street, demographics change a lot, on the north side of Thomas and Osborn.

You are right down the street from the 202, and can easily take that to I-10 and I-17 and up to 101 during the off peak hours. During peak hours it would put you right in the mix of the commute going to and from work. 202 to 101 south off peak is a very easy drive, During the commute, it can get congested. Going opposite commute,as you would be doing, you may have some congestion, but it is doable.

The school options will vary for you, and that is something you'd have to look into.

Last edited by Goober13; 03-27-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area