Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this whole thread? Why is Diversity good or bad? Why are people worried about the color or demographics of those living around you? Neighborhoods are typically (from my experience) made of of people that can afford to live in the neighborhood. Typically those families are in somewhat similar stages of their lives and about the same place in the careers. Just because N. Scottsdale isn't (in the OP's original statement) "diverse"...who cares and why is it a problem? Maybe it is just because some people don't WANT to live in N. Scottsdale? Maybe...and I'm generalizing here so forgive me...someone with a young family and doesn't want to constantly be in a perceived competition with their neighbor about who got the A6 vs. the A5 and opted to move to another, just as nice, part of the Valley? Let's not forget that Ahwautukee's nickname used to be "All-White-Tukee". I think there are larger things to consider when choosing a neighborhood than "diversity".

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
My neighbor drives a Camry. I guess I need to tell him he's losing. Never thought about it before.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Sorry for the rant but I live in a neighborhood full of Americans...everything else is superfluous.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I don't understand this whole thread? Why is Diversity good or bad? Why are people worried about the color or demographics of those living around you? Neighborhoods are typically (from my experience) made of of people that can afford to live in the neighborhood. Typically those families are in somewhat similar stages of their lives and about the same place in the careers. Just because N. Scottsdale isn't (in the OP's original statement) "diverse"...who cares and why is it a problem? Maybe it is just because some people don't WANT to live in N. Scottsdale? Maybe...and I'm generalizing here so forgive me...someone with a young family and doesn't want to constantly be in a perceived competition with their neighbor about who got the A6 vs. the A5 and opted to move to another, just as nice, part of the Valley? Let's not forget that Ahwautukee's nickname used to be "All-White-Tukee". I think there are larger things to consider when choosing a neighborhood than "diversity".
A lot of it has to do with raising children of color Kurt. For families of color, it is important that they experience an environment with a fair representation of people like them. And that includes the color of ones skin AND people of color from similar economic and educational backgrounds. When a person is part of the majority race, they tend to view life differently than being a minority.

Thats really what is involved. A person who is white is the mainstream in the US in. A person who is not is part of the subculture. Being in a blended environment with a fair amount of people just like you is important.

As demographics change over the coming years this issue will work itself out. Things have come a long way since I grew up here, but they still have a ways to go for total racial parity.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM

That sounds like a very divisive attitude...what is the need/use of breaking people into "people of color" vs. white? I understand that 50 years ago there was a problem...but really? I would hate to have to go through life with a self imposed inferiority complex based on the color of one's skin when it doesn't matter to everyone else. My neighbor has a son from a previous relationship with the same name as my son. When we call them he jokes "Who do you want? The white one or the brown one?"

Just my opinion of course, but if parents don't put it on their kids that they are "different" than they don't see themselves as different. Everything else being equal...no matter what your skin tone you would have the same opportunities as your neighbor's kids...matter of fact the 2 boys are spending their day off playing together all day today. Are you saying that they should be aware they have different skin tones and that somehow makes one or the other inferior? Cause that sounds a bit racist.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM

90 posts, read 150,629 times
Quote:
Sorry for the rant but I live in a neighborhood full of Americans...everything else is superfluous.

Thank you...Good Ol' American values. It seemed to have skipped a generation.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

603 posts, read 945,897 times
Quote:
When we call them he jokes "Who do you want? The white one or the brown one?"

Are you saying that they should be aware they have different skin tones....
They're already aware they have different skin tones.

My stepmom (Mom) is black and she and my Dad getting married has lucked me into a huge and wonderful extended family. On my trip for Thanksgiving last year, I got to take some great sunset pictures at the segregated beach she and her brothers, sisters and parents would (could) go to when she was growing up.

They come out here to visit sometimes, and I'll still sometimes see some really strange reactions by people to my Mom & Dad together in public. Some are annoying, some are infuriating, and some are actually kind of funny (a guy that awkwardly came over to my Dad and tried to strike up a conversation about rap music still makes me laugh just thinking about it).

A neighborhood that attracts diverse families is a plus to me. I want my Mom to be able to go walking in my neighborhood without someone calling the cops. I want my kids to be around other kids with different heritages, experiences, ethnicities, colors, interests, etc. I want to be around that too.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Okay...well enough on that I guess. I don't know many people that comment on their ethnicity or race around here except some of the Intel folks who are actually FROM another country. And that is mostly because they are telling stories that took place there. Ooops...I called them Intel folks...see now you have me segregating people, geesh.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
They're already aware they have different skin tones.
But they aren't making a big deal about it. No one is "under privileged" or ostracized or made fun of because they have differences. Everyone is different...it's a fact of life.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
That sounds like a very divisive attitude...what is the need/use of breaking people into "people of color" vs. white? I understand that 50 years ago there was a problem...but really? I would hate to have to go through life with a self imposed inferiority complex based on the color of one's skin when it doesn't matter to everyone else. My neighbor has a son from a previous relationship with the same name as my son. When we call them he jokes "Who do you want? The white one or the brown one?"

Just my opinion of course, but if parents don't put it on their kids that they are "different" than they don't see themselves as different. Everything else being equal...no matter what your skin tone you would have the same opportunities as your neighbor's kids...matter of fact the 2 boys are spending their day off playing together all day today. Are you saying that they should be aware they have different skin tones and that somehow makes one or the other inferior? Cause that sounds a bit racist.
You say it doesn't matter to everyone else...really...so you can speak on behalf of everyone? I think you should be more open-minded toward this. You are making assumptions on how minorities are treated when you aren't one. Yes, things have improved but unfortunately many people are still ignorant and you wouldn't know that unless you stepped into their shoes. Racism today is subtle and it isn't overt like it once was but it's still there.

I'm Hispanic. I didn't feel different either until middle school and high school when competition among peers increased and I began to receive racist comments. So your point about parents instilling that they aren't different is moot because at some point, the kids will be told they are different and will most definitely feel different.

Personally, I think people who are threatened by diversity are those who harbor some racist sentiment whether or not they are aware of it. I think they feel threatened by the idea that our American culture is changing and they want to preserve the status quo and don't like foreign customs or even languages spoken. They refuse to accept that our society is constantly changing. They see it as being divisive instead of approaching it like something new and interesting and incorporating into their own culture. Some people are better about this than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area