Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I use to live in "The Lakes" in Tempe. Loved it and miss it. Val Vista Lakes is where I would aim to move if I was staying here in AZ I think. I love the water and it's the only visual relief to all this desert. That said I want to move next to an ocean so I wouldn't need it but for AZ I think one of the best places to live is by a man made lake. So long as they take care of it, and they do at Val Vista. They usually have club houses for the kids and sports. Boat rentals. Seasonal activities (this is my new catch phrase)lol.

Do they have a scorpion problem at Val Vista? Just curious.

I know quite a few people in VVL. My son's best friend lives on the lake in Val Vista and he seen some scorpions in the house he says. They also have issues with those yucky water bug roach things.

I know someone who had a horrible problem with scorpions in Dobson Ranch and the Ahwatukee Foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:21 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Of course you can live without a pool. I'm a native and have NEVER had a pool and I'm still alive and kickin. Now, since not being around water much I don't care for it. If I had a pool growing up I'd probably like water sports, lakes, and oceans more.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM

436 posts, read 809,905 times
We have survived very well, raising kids over the 23 years we have lived here, without having a pool. I have two neighbors who sincerely regret having had a pool installed, of the lack of use, and the continual upkeep.

If we had it to do over again, we still would not have a pool installed.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:13 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,845 times
Hey, eddiek, how are ya?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:38 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
An adage from 'oldtimers' here is: "
Pool owners are happiest the first day they jump into their pool and then that day they sell their home with that pool".

Been here 40 years, never had a pool never, desired a pool, never missed not having a pool.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
An adage from 'oldtimers' here is: "
Pool owners are happiest the first day they jump into their pool and then that day they sell their home with that pool".

Been here 40 years, never had a pool never, desired a pool, never missed not having a pool.
I have to tell you, it is a matter of ones personal lifestyle -

I have been "here" for almost 60 years (native) - would not be without a pool.
We have recently completed (well almost ) our backyard "enviornment" - with the pool, spa, outdoor kitchen and, to my wifes astonishment, a "horseshoe pit" - and some other goodies - We love to entertain and since we can do it almost all year round - we planned our backyard accordingly

Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4family07 View Post
We are moving to nw phx with 2 kids. Any opinions on choosing a house with a pool vs. one w/o? The kids are 8/9 so can swim. I'm just wondering if we could survive for one year w/o a pool. Also, any negative issues to living on a man-made lake? Thanks.
If you can swing it, do the pool. Definitely. Sure you can survive it, but if you have the option, go the route with the pool.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,409,942 times
Default of course you can survive without a pool

seriously I thinks its best to not have a pool, join something that does have one, YMCA or you can go to a community center pool during the summer for cheap. you won't want to spend that much time outdoors in the water and sun, its terrible for your skin and dangerous with the strong skin cancer factor here in AZ, limiting the sun exposure is best, I say go swim for a couple hours at a decent time of day, when the rays are not at the peaks then get out of the sun. Hanging in a pool all day sounds like a recipe for leathery skin and most likely skin cancer!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,568 times
How confused are you now after reading the posts on this thread?? LOL, some swear by them, some do just fine without them. Personally, we moved from Washington State and knew we would especially need one our first year as we acclimated to the temperature difference. We get a lot of use out of our pool as our backyard oasis is where we entertain and relax. If you opt for a pool, you may want to look into a salt water system. Very low maintenance costs and the water is soft and buoyant rather than hard and eye burning. Best of luck to you in your decision.
AA

Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I know quite a few people in VVL. My son's best friend lives on the lake in Val Vista and he seen some scorpions in the house he says. They also have issues with those yucky water bug roach things.

I know someone who had a horrible problem with scorpions in Dobson Ranch and the Ahwatukee Foothills.
I live in VVL, and just sold a VVL home to a client. The wife is terrified of scorpions and ordered a scorpion inspection. None were found. Typically they will be found when there is some new construction that disturbs them and they have to find new territory.

They will sometimes come in on trees that have not been inspected. They have a very small territory and don't move from that unless disturbed.

Keep your yard and house sprayed according to a schedule set up with your pest control company, to keep rid of the food source for scorpions, such as crickets. If they don't have a food source they will move away.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area