Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM

38,957 posts, read 50,883,019 times

Advertisements

Most places around here are not as bad as some will say they are. As mentioned above, there are some old stereotypes that are pushed by people, often natives or long time residents, who have not been in the areas they comment on in decades, if ever. But why AJ? There are probably many places in the valley that would be as good or better for your desires. Phoenix is something of the "un-city" city. Even the close in areas feel more like suburbs than city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 31,787 times
Well, I looked at it because it seemed like it had more open space but at the same time was still within an hour from Phoenix. Commuting for me really isn't much of an issue. Suprisingly, I am not really even much of a suburban type either. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to hear...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM

38,957 posts, read 50,883,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneConfusedGuy View Post
Well, I looked at it because it seemed like it had more open space but at the same time was still within an hour from Phoenix. Commuting for me really isn't much of an issue. Suprisingly, I am not really even much of a suburban type either. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to hear...
There is open space in every quadrant. AJ, Goodyear, Queen Creek, Maricopa, Surprise, even Phoenix itself, and all kinds of unincorporated land all have acreages, mobile homes on large lots, proximity to mountains and lakes. Don't dismiss the drive time, it can be brutal. Find a job, then find a place to live as nearby as possible taking into consideration other factors you might care for like night life, restaurants, shopping, ease of getting out of town, etc. You can find what you're looking for in just about anyplace in the valley. It is a real hodge-podge of lifestyles and not like some cities where this side of that side is good/bad etc.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Yes - the one question we've asked to help answer your question is the single BIGGEST issue you need to consider when you are looking at areas to live. Where will you be working?

Trust us - spending 2+ hours a day in the car commuting in these parts is not a way you want to live. And let's not even discuss gas prices. (And I lived on the Mesa-AJ border and commuted to North Scottsdale for several years, finding the 35-45 minutes bearable! Everyone else thought I was crazy.)

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,626,322 times
Quote:
Yes, AJ has a LOT of open spaces. One of the reason I moved to this area of the valley. One of the things that most of the valley can't offer, is being so close to the lakes. I actually live in east Mesa but just barely. I'm very close to AJ and most of my money is spent in AJ. It's very convenient. I'm also and avid fisherman so being close to the lakes was important to me. From my driveway, to the boat ramp at Saguaro is 18 minutes and to Canyon is 27 minutes. I've timed it. lol....
Ponderosa is correct though. There are many great cities all over the valley that offer open spaces and proximity to downtown but much like you, the drive wasn't much of a concern for me. Honestly, I don't find the traffic around here to be too bad at all unless there is a wreck someplace. I can make the Sky Harbor airport in about 20 minutes and downtown in about 30 or less.
To be honest, you should come out for as long as possible and check out all the areas yourself. That's what I did. It took a long time (4 years) for me to sell the house in Oregon so I came here twice a year to poke around and do some research on where I'd like to live. I picked the far east valley for many reasons but honestly there are great places all over the Phoenix valley. I picked the AJ area because of the rural feel to the place that wasn't there in many other places. Well, that and the lakes are close.
I made the right choice for me but everyone is different.
Come check it out for yourself. If you'd like a ride on one of the lakes, give me a shout.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Jkgourmet: As of now, I am not there. I am looking for a job out there while I am here(don't want to move there without a job), so I am looking at the areas I am interested in.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Jkgourmet: As of now, I am not there. I am looking for a job out there while I am here(don't want to move there without a job), so I am looking at the areas I am interested in.
Thank you. Now I can answer your question more clearly.

AJ is a fine place for many people. It does sound like you MIGHT like it.

However, considering the enormous size of the Valley of the Sun, it doesn't make a lick of sense to consider where you are going to live until you know where you are going to work. The only way around that would be to rent an apartment in the middle of Phoenix to assure that you would (probably) be within a one hour commute of anywhere in the Valley. And form the sounds of what you are looking for, you aren't going to like living in the center of Phoenix.

Get the job, then come back, remind of of what you are looking for, and tell us where you will be working. You'll find some wide open spaces - I promise!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM

54 posts, read 121,960 times
I grew up in AJ. It had a weird, surreal quality to it with the type of people that lived there. They just... looked different. It's hard to put my finger on it. I still visit my family, and I still see what I grew up with (especially at Walmart) but it's also a kind community for the most part.

And no, there isn't meth heads roaming the streets. I used to jog routinely at night and always felt safe because it's a very quiet town for the most part. I'm not trying to be racist, but there was a very small amount of African Americans-- I remember looking up the census at the time, and it backed up my observation-- I believe it said 2.4% of the citizens were black. I'm not sure if that'll bother you, but I thought it was worth pointing out just in case. The people I knwo in the city wouldn't be backwards, and treat you badly, though.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM

64 posts, read 133,460 times
I'd say its more rural of an area. Like in Mesa you might see like grass and side walks next to buildings and homes, and cement curbs. AJ is more like asphalt and a patch of dirt/over grown desert off the sides of roads. Lots of trailer homes and low income people.

I don't really think its dangerous, I've driven through there allot and it just seems more low income then anything. It does have a rep in Phoenix for being "trashy" and it is true there are residents who live there who uphold that image. But I'd say overall its a safe place. I think I might pick Mesa to live in over AJ, if I worked in AJ though.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Honestly, it doesn't/didn't really both me that AJ and a few other areas I just looked at doesn't have a lot of black people. Phoenix in general doesn't have alot of black people compared to many other large cities. But where I come from(even though this is a small city in S. Carolina), while there is a higher number of blacks in the area compared to AJ and many other places in Phoenix metro area, the relations here are still not very good despite growth over the past few years(mainly from the northern states) and quite a number of folk are still living in the past. I am the type of person that keeps to myself. I wake up, get dressed, go to work, and go home and stay there.

However, I will check out other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area