Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 31,769 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about moving to Apache Jucntion. I didn't really really want to be close to the city(because I am not much of a city person) and thought about Apache Junction. I have heard multiple complaints such as poor schools, "rednecks", meth heads, drug abusers, prostitutes, racists, excessive crime and just overall, not a good area to be in.

I am an african american person and urban living just isn't my thing. And although there aren't many black people there(not really phased by it), I do care about safety and concern for any tension going on there.

Putting that aside, my main question is, is Apache Junction as bad as people say it is? Is it really just a run down area with everything mentioned above? I am not sure what to believe anymore. I have heard some good, but mainly bad things.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM

74 posts, read 130,785 times
If I had to choose between living on the West Side of Phoenix and Apache Junction id pick AJ

But it is not that great and the only reason I say that is because of the high concentration of tweekers and white trash.

The west side is newer but is being trashed by a high concentration of blacks and illegals. Your choice.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
I think the larger question is where are you going to be working. That can be a wicked commute if you are in N. Scottsdale or downtown.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour D View Post
If I had to choose between living on the West Side of Phoenix and Apache Junction id pick AJ

But it is not that great and the only reason I say that is because of the high concentration of tweekers and white trash.

The west side is newer but is being trashed by a high concentration of blacks and illegals. Your choice.
I don't even know what you mean by the "west side", but this is a massive overgeneralization. And, you may not have noticed that the OP IS African American.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think the larger question is where are you going to be working. That can be a wicked commute if you are in N. Scottsdale or downtown.
This is an important issue. And, you may also need to think about what other amenities interest you and how far you may have to travel to get to them.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,624,905 times
My mother and brother live in Apache Junction and my house is just a few blocks from the AJ/Mesa border.
Don't believe all the hype that you have heard about AJ. It's "mostly" not true anymore.
AJ used to be all you have heard but with the housing boom a few years ago, it has grown into a very nice community and you'll be close to hiking, biking, very close to 3 lakes. Saguaro, Canyon and Apache Lake. And the views of the Superstition Mtns. are absolutely incredible.
AJ used to be the meth capitol of the valley but they have done a very good job of cleaning it up. I'm no expert but I attribute much of that to getting building codes in the mid 90's and the coming of the snowbirds. AJ is a HUGE snowbird community. AJ has about 32K people until about October and then the populations swells to about 55K with the arrival of the snowbirds.
AJ isn't as fancy as other parts of the valley but it is a nice town, great people and close to outdoor activities. The 202 and the 60 freeways are right there so easy access to the rest of the valley.
There are a few less desirable neighborhoods but not so bad that I feel unsafe walking around after dark. I've seen many worse neighborhoods in other areas of the valley.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of multi-million dollar homes in AJ as well. Some of the most beautiful homes I've seen anywhere in the valley.
AJ isn't perfect but I'm VERY happy in this area. My mother and brother LOVE living in AJ and wouldn't trade it for any other area of the valley.
I could go on and on but all I can say is you will feel welcome in AJ. It's a great place to live with lots of things to do and since it's on the edge of the valley, home prices are a bit lower than the other areas.
The reason AJ has such a bad reputation is because it was that way 20 or so years ago and most of the people that say those things about AJ haven't been there in ages and just assume it's still a dump. It's just not like that anymore. AJ is a great little western community with a have emphasis on "western". Lots of horses, horse facilities and lots of snowbirds riding around on some of the coolest Harleys around.
Come check it out for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,960,923 times
Quote:

Ok there isn't remotely a high concentration of blacks on the west side. That couldn't be any more false and think about your post before you post it. That's rude you made it sound like black people are just trashy in general. Some of us on this forum happen to be black(imagine that).

Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM

582 posts, read 1,475,100 times
Quote:

The first sentence from Sour D is a common perception of many people regarding AJ.

The second sentence from Sour D is a common perception of what AJ types think of blacks and illegals.

The demographics don't really add up for and AA person to live there,but we all seek something different in areas where we choose to live. I'm AA myself and was born and raised here. There are many more places for you to live besides the area you mentioned. And all of West Phoenix isn't impoverised and run down.

Tell us where you will be working, your budget, and what type of place you want and someone here can give you some ideas.

But of course, you have to consider where you'll be working, and what kind of environment you seek.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM

606 posts, read 1,598,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Ok there isn't remotely a high concentration of blacks on the west side. That couldn't be any more false and think about your post before you post it. That's rude you made it sound like black people are just trashy in general. Some of us on this forum happen to be black(imagine that).
I agree.

And some of us happen to be illegals too, and we don't appreciate be classified as trashy either!! JUST KIDDING

I do agree with DJ though.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,624,905 times
My bad. I didn't know this was a racial thread. All I saw was the guy wanted to know about AJ and he isn't concerned about the racial things or politics. He just wanted to know about Apache Junction. Why is it so hard to stay on topic in this forum.
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? lol...
So to answer his original question which is (and I quote):
"Is Apache Junction as bad as people say it is?"

And the undeniable answer to that is NO.....It's a very cool little western town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area