Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

North Glendale is nice as is north Peoria and it meets a lot of your criteria. Probably about 30 minutes for the commute, Trader Joe's and Sprouts near by (no Whole Foods), low crime, very good greenery if you look in the Arrowhed area of Glendale, lots of shopping, restaurants and movie theatres...but for other entertainment, youll need to go to Central Phoenix or Scottsdale. Your budget should definitely buy you something nice. Look into zip codes 85310, 85308, 85383.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,227 times
Glendale is just fine north of Glendale Ave/Northern Ave northward. Older suburbia for the most part with a lot of nice well kept older homes with decent sized lots and nice sized backyards. Quite a few newer homes as well thrown in the mix. Of course theres Westgate too which is a popular hangout. I like Glendale because although it's suburban it doesn't really feel suburban(if that makes sense)like Goodyear or Gilbert. If you don't go too far north in Glendale your commute to work will be an easy straight shot on surface streets.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,014 times
Glendale is a nice city. You will find that the farther north you go, the more expensive and newer properties there are. The "Arrowhead" area is quite well known throughout the Valley as a more upscale suburban area, although it is getting older (built in the 80's/90's). Arrowhead has a thriving "Eatertainment District" Spring Training Stadium, and an attractive, large mall. It is also very close to the Westgate Entertainment and shopping district in South Glendale. North Glendale (North of Union Hills Rd, ie. the Arrowhead area) has everything you looked for, but is farther, albeit easy, commute for you. There is a Trader Joe's and a Sprouts, and several fitness facilities nearby.

In the south part, it is in general more "established" and older, smaller homes without HOA's. Some parts are a little run down, but a couple blocks away there will be nice neighborhoods. There are some very nice, newer, desirable infill neighborhoods close to Westgate, but you have to look for them. In between north Glendale and south Glendale, the city center is in the process of renewal, and contains many quaint shops and restaurants, and puts on some extravagent festivals throughout the year, such as "Glendale Glitters", "A Chocolate Affaire", and "Balloon Glow".

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,589 times
I've lived it the west valley my entire life and honestly love it out here. Lived in Palm Valley for 10 years and now live in "Old Litchfield Park" near the Wigwam. Old Litchfield Park is an older neighborhood with mature trees, lakes, several parks and a great little "downtown" area, that has Mexican food, Sushi, a Cafe and a bar. There are great gyms out here as well - Lifetime Fitness, the best Crossfit gym in AZ (been going for over 3+ years and love it so I'm biased , Gold's Gym, LA Fitness, etc. I think we are very lucky here when it comes to grocery stores. We don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, but within 2-3 miles from my house, I do have: Bashas, Albertson's, Safeway, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Fresh N' Easy, Sprouts and Frys. A LOT to choose from! Palm Valley or Litchfield Park are definitely worth looking into! Good luck!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM

310 posts, read 1,159,938 times
I live in Goodyear and we love it here! Our home is in the Canyon Trails area. Other communities that you may want to look at are Verrado and Estrella Mountain Ranch. Verrado will give you the big green spaces that you are looking for, lots of hiking walking trails, a golf club, community pools, very community oriented development. Estrella mountain ranch although more desert landscaped does have green community areas around the lakes, a community pool and clubhouse, many activities, has walking trails all through the subdivision. The cons about these developments is that many feel they are bit aways, you have to travel to get to restaurants and shopping. Palm Valley is very nice too, closer to freeway access, closer to shops/ restaurants. You can't go wrong with any of these choices, they are all located in safe areas, just find the one that fits your life style best!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin33 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are relocating in to Phoenix in May. I will be working on the southwest part of Phoenix (West Buckeye Rd, 85043).

Here is our wish list:

- commute less than 30 minutes
- we live a very healthy lifestyle so I'd like to be within 10 minutes of either a Trader Joe's / Whole Foods and a nice fitness club
- would aim to spend less than $325K on a 3BR, 2BA house
- low crime
- I know this is the dessert, but we'd love at least a little bit of greenery
- I am in my late 30s, my wife in her late 20s - so ideally some place not too far from decent entertainment, but far enough from city chaos and/or drunk college kids

I've done a bit of research and I think maybe the Arcadia area would be good? I mapquested the commute and according to mapquest it can be anywhere from 18-24 minutes. However, I have no idea how bad traffic can be on the I-10 going west in the morning.

Perhaps it is better to live slightly north of Camelback Rd and avoid the I-10 altogether? (Go west toward Glendale and then cut down)?

Also, my wife is concerned about the quality of houses available in Arcadia that are in our price range.

Really appreciate any help!
If you thought you'd like Arcadia, you should consider the historic neighborhoods north of downtown Phoenix (Willo, Roosevelt, FQ Story, Encanto-Palmcroft). Fits your criteria except it might be more like 12-15 minutes to the Trader Joe's and (soon to open) Whole Foods at 20th St./Highland. Sprouts is about the same distance at 28th. St/Indian School. Easily less than 30 minutes to 85043. New LA Fitness an easy 10 minutes at 7th Ave/Camelback, Gold's Gym in CityScape or Mountainside Fitness at Chase Field. One of the greener areas in Phoenix. Lots of entertainment opportunities downtown.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM

567 posts, read 787,051 times
My hubby drives through Laveen on the way to work in Maricopa from far west Phoenix, and he says there are nice areas that have been built there over the past few years.
The Valley is so spread out that really the best thing you can do is to come for a visit and then for a rush hour drive between where you're going to work and possible homes.
Unfortunately, Whole Foods was going to build a store on the west side before the economy tanked a few years ago. They've all been in the East Valley, but now are building a store at Camelback and 20th Street-- which is Arcadia and in the same strip center as TJ's. There's another TJ's and WF nearly side-by-side at Tatum and Shea in Scottsdale.
It's really unfortunate that WF has yet to recognize its customers on the west side of town.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,780 times
Default Relocating to Phoenix area

I am planning on relocating to the area from Wisconsin and want to know where to live in the area that is close to shops, restaurants, and freeway. My job will be around 51st street. Need some direction please

Thanks

Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekalashian1207 View Post
I am planning on relocating to the area from Wisconsin and want to know where to live in the area that is close to shops, restaurants, and freeway. My job will be around 51st street. Need some direction please

Thanks
First question: 51st Street and what major cross street?
Second question: Are you sure it is 51st Street and not 51st Avenue?

The answer to both of these questions will help us on the forum to help you.

Also, are you looking to rent or buy? Are you bringing a family? We would really need more specifics in order to give you better information.

Have you also searched the forum, because a lot of your questions most likely will have been answered.

Welcome to Phoenix!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Sprouts is (or was until recently) like a Farmer's market type store. It was just bought by Apollo, so things are becoming more mainstream. Here's the location page for Sprouts - Store Locations - Sprouts Farmers Market

Trader Joes is all over the Valley - More than likely you will find one near you or on the way to or from your work: Trader Joe's

You quickly learn the ropes in the Phoenix valley with regards to the freeways and side roads. I'm not "near" a Trader Joes, but I'm in between two of them. Both are more than a dozen miles away. You just get used to it. I jump on the 51 freeway or the 101 and I'm there in 15 minutes or so. It's a big place, but the number of freeways we have really helps you get where you need to go. Listen to the morning and afternoon commute reports on your chosen brand of radio. Radio Stations in Phoenix AZ

You can also go to AZ 511 - either by dialing 511 on your phone and saying the road you're interested in, or go to the page online and check traffic - Radio Stations in Phoenix AZ

If you follow the reports for about a week, you'll start to get a sense of where to move, where you want to avoid commuting during rush hours, and how long things will take. This will give you a sense where to move.

Additionally, check crime reports for the areas you're checking -- Crime Statistics and Maps - Official Site of the City of Phoenix

Also - check all these threads as well for other information and advice:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area